How to Install Plugins ×

[does not work] Paint.Net Plugin Manager X! New Version JUST Released!

Braiden

New Revision Version 1.3.5

New Features:

-Plugin counting, shows exact numbers of Plugins loaded or available

-Low-level Plugin Details ( this is a VERY low-level daignostic of the selected Plugin, but will be improved drastically in the very near future! )

Hopefully late binding can start being nice to me :D Then i can finish off the Plugin exploring features!

I just downloaded the new version and I think the plugin counter is great! :D I understand that the left is the available plugins and the right the installed ones but I mean like maybe under the unstall/uninstall buttons have a "difference" list showing the plugins that are available but not installed. Its just a thought, I dont know if it would help at all. Also now you need to change the screenshots (unless theres a new version coming very soon. :wink: I can always hope). Thanks for the updates!

Oh and the Show Details doesn't work for me.

EDIT: actually I cant even copy over a new plugin with it. Is it just me? Am I all alone? :cry:

The error has the following details:

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.InvalidCastException: Operator '=' is not defined for type 'FileInfo' and 'Nothing'.

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Operators.InvokeUserDefinedOperator(UserDefinedOperator Op, Object[] Arguments)

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Operators.ConditionalCompareObjectEqual(Object Left, Object Right, Boolean TextCompare)

at PaintDOTNet_Plug_In_Manager.paintdotnetmanager.Button4_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)

CodeBase: file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

Paint.Net Plug-In Manager

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///H:/Paint.net/P.NManager1.3.5.1/Paint.Net%20Plug-In%20Manager.exe

Microsoft.VisualBasic

Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

System

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System.Runtime.Remoting

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

System.Xml

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

"Confusion is the welcome mat at the door of creativity." -Michaul Gelb

My Gallery Check it out!

Im guessing this doesnt allow you do put the plugins in certain folders.

No, not yet, because, it assumes your working with single 'Effect' dll's, because those are 'mainly' what are used, although there are probably some that have and need folders.

@D3z,

Ill see what i can do, but i think your mostly all alone with that problem, ill check that its being compiled under the correct FX, becuase for some strange reason i have found my projects change FX as i add newer code, which may be it.

For some reason all functions seem to work for me, ill check over the code, from the looks of that JIT im missing some "=" in an "If" function.

Ill see what i can do tonight!

@D3z,

Ill see what i can do, but i think your mostly all alone with that problem...

Nope, not alone; same here: both details buttons and also updating an effect are throwing this same exception... :(

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

~Dr. Seuss

Gosh, this is a pain in the butt.

Ive fixed the Problem that has arised, but i probably should stress that improper use will throw errors, although im trying to add some error control to this.

Ill try my best anyways :)

@Rick,

Will PDN 4.0 have a built in plugin manager? Because if it is, how long would the manager be useful to the user's here?

Anyways, ill keep adding now things to this project until its not useful anymore! :)

Well, I'm not Rick, but if I'm not mistaken, a plugin manager has been planned for the 4.xx series of releases (though not necessarily 4.0). Even though it doesn't appear to have made it to the roadmap.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Thats great there's going to be a Plugin Manager in 4.xx ( hopefully mine! :P )

Im also looking at .net .dll decompilation, .dll compilation and a UI for making Effects, in a simplified program, but that sort of complexity is out of my reach, for now atleast!

I will also hopefully have a website up and running aswell, so i can have a Frontier for my ventures!

Thanks for the support guys and gals!

I really don't think decompiling and then recompiling an effect DLL is a good approach to take. That's the very definition of a hack, something you really don't want to get into. You'll probably introduce more problems than you're trying to solve, and then the effect authors (or myself) will start to receive crash logs that are probably the result of your code.

The extensibility system for 4.0 is being redesigned to accommodate a lot of requirements such that they can be "first class citizens". Things like discovery, activation, hosting, isolation, installation, updating, removal ... not all of these are handled, or handled very well, in 3.xx. It won't make use of any of your code, sorry.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I understand that the left is the available plugins and the right the installed ones but I mean like maybe under the unstall/uninstall buttons have a "difference" list showing the plugins that are available but not installed. Its just a thought, I dont know if it would help at all.

Do you mean a list of plugins that are available for download, but you don't have? From what I can see, no one has commented on this, but it seems like it would be too much of a hassle. With the amount of plugins available and the fact that people are always making new ones, it seems like it would be a bit far fetched and could possible require updating the program whenever new plugins are added to the ones already available. Of course I don't know anything about coding, and I'm sure it is possible, but it seems to me that this would only work logically if the plugins were "official" plugins, instead of the many that were made by users. Maybe if a list of the most popular plugins were included that could work. Especially for new users that haven't started adding plugins. Theres something for you to add to the program! ;)

In any case, this program, which is what I prefer to call it, instead of a plugin, seems to be awesome! :) I haven't downloaded yet, getting to it in just a second. I agree that while it may not be a "must have" to install plugins, which is really just a matter of opinion, it does seem like it would make it easier for newer users adding plugins. I was a bit confused myself as to where to actually put the plugins that I had downloaded. Thankfully the few that I downloaded first had instructions! :D

PryoTypeSig.png

I really liked this little app, so I'm really sorry you lost the code. I'll be waiting for the new version so don't forget about it ;)

Puteulanus___Jake2k_by_Club_PaintDotNET.png

^Click to visit my Flickr Gallery^

• 1 month later...

I like the new look and I'm glad you did it again :)

But why not include headings at the top e.g Effects/Adjustments and File types

"Confusion is the welcome mat at the door of creativity." -Michaul Gelb

My Gallery Check it out!

meh.. its a filecount gltich.. ill clear it up.... it meant to be added to the numbers at the top of a group box, but only the number ended up there :/

Also, given that the program now includes the right-click install option which requires a new registry key to be added, I don't see how "deleting the folder" will cleanly uninstall it.

Edit: I also have more concerns:

• [*:17dyujms]The application performs actions that require admin privilages, and yet doesn't request them.
    [*:17dyujms]Installed plugins don't show on my computer (possibly because of said administrator privilages which I have not granted the program as I have not been requested to).
    [*:17dyujms]The control labels only appear to be drawn when plugins are detected, not before.
    [*:17dyujms]If the application wishes to add a right-click menu and does so in a later version of a previously-established application, should it not ask permission firsy?
    [*:17dyujms]You say that if no registry key is detected, it installs the plugin to C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects. To me no such key would be a sign of a corrupt installation.

Just my 20 pence.

KaHuc.png

Also, given that the program now includes the right-click install option which requires a new registry key to be added, I don't see how "deleting the folder" will cleanly uninstall it.

It doesnt have those features yet, they are being added to new revisions of "X". If i WERE to add right click menu's I will probably release the program separately ( that program being the right-click menu ) which would alleviate the need for this. I could always make a .exe file which will clean out my program, if it ever needs a registry key or two.

The application performs actions that require admin privilages, and yet doesn't request them.

Installed plugins don't show on my computer (possibly because of said administrator privilages which I have not granted the program as I have not been requested to).

The control labels only appear to be drawn when plugins are detected, not before.

If the application wishes to add a right-click menu and does so in a later version of a previously-established application, should it not ask permission firsy?

You say that if no registry key is detected, it installs the plugin to C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects. To me no such key would be a sign of a corrupt installation.

Actually, when i was making this, i didnt think you needed anything more than Regular Rights to access registry keys, but from what i searched, it generally wants Power User or Administrative Rights. At this particular point, im not too sure how to go about adding something to enable Admin Rights, or Power User for that matter ( i personally think giving Admin powers to a .net application is not all that wise, but power user i can handle :) )

No such key existing could also mean that i installed it to a pen drive, which I do for College work, so i can run the program anywhere. Paint.Net doesnt need any registry keys to work.

Yea, I just notice that the controls dont draw themselves correctly, I will fix that problem tonight.

Wow, I can't possibly fathom why you'd make the UI look like that.

That UI is NOT going to stay, i just threw it together for no real reason. the UI is going to be Skin-able soon ( once i figure out Custom Controls :D ). But skinning is at best a nuisance, for I would have to handle destroying each custom component ( sides, top & bottom, buttons, etc etc ), and also handle creating it on startup ( whop, there comes the Splash Screen :/ )

I've figured out Late and Early Binding, all i have to do is recreate the menu bar you have in Paint.Net, so it draws correctly, then nullify the actions each plugin tries to acheive. It will have to have a Splash Screen to early bind 100 or so Plug-Ins :(

Anybody want to make a mockup of what you would like a UI to look like? Im open to all suggestions :D

Thanks for the feedback :)

If i WERE to add right click menu's I will probably release the program separately ( that program being the right-click menu ) which would alleviate the need for this. I could always make a .exe file which will clean out my program, if it ever needs a registry key or two.

I see little point in that unless it was part of this program, given such a program already exists. :wink:

the UI is going to be Skin-able soon

I would advise against that, as I see little point in downloading new skins for a program I would only use for a short period of time, rather than looking at for a long period of time.

KaHuc.png

No, what i mean by "skin-able" is that i can change the whole look of a program as i release it. Not so that you guys can skin it. Adding a skinning feature isnt worth it, as you said, it will just be there so i can change the look of it at will :)

• 1 year later...

Braiden, when i open your "Paint.Net Plugin Manager X! New Version JUST Released!", it gives me error messages basically telling me that it can't find the path. How do I solve this problem?

1.gif

I believe bliss and terror are based on a person's perspective.

• 6 years later...