11 Healthy Habits of a Paint.NET Artist - A New Habit!

Mike Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!

I feel the same way about my work, I have only been doing this for 3 weeks.

I am NOT accomplishing much and this is nothing in my area of interest, my dad thought it would be good to do this for 3 hours every day of the summer, i dont know what I did to deserve this :shock: :?

Really helpful tutorial. I started at the same way Mike Ryan did, and developed similar techniques myself that he mentioned in this thread to keep me motivated organized, and relaxed.

One thing I want to add on:

This sorta fits under the "Enjoy what you do!" section, but don't be afraid to procrastinate a little. If you're working on a long art piece that takes quite a bit of time to finish, save finishing it for another day. I used to be the kind of person who NEEDED to finish everything in one day. This was my worst bad habit and it was the hardest one to quit. But once I learned to work on my art slowly and thoroughly, the process was much more relaxing, and yielded much better results.

When you try to finish a large project in one day, you get bored towards the end, and want to get it done as fast as possible and end up rushing through the last part. Not good.

The second you start to get bored with it, quit. There's no deadline for your art. Go do something fun, come back later. By that point you'll be more excited about finishing the piece and therefore more dedicated to the quality of the work.

• 1 year later...

Back to life!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

One thing: While the subject has been renamed to 11, the heading still says 10.

#12 It rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again It puts its text on a separate layer or it learns to use the clone stamp :wink:

Good habits:(Should have its own category.)

1. ALWAYS write text on a new layer, this will prevent from you finishing your 6 hour long work and then there is A typo.

2. Save in .PdN files so you can come back later and fix things, or improve.

3. Try never to use polar inversion, this could ruin your picture.

"Being calm can work wonders"

Signature-1.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

1. ALWAYS write text on a new layer, this will prevent from you finishing your 6 hour long work and then there is A typo.

guess all my work has been ruined. :lol: there's at least one in every picture I do. some have many and I mean more than 10. Yes there are some in the dragon.

#3 should read polar inversion should be treated as just one tool in making an effect not an effect all by itself. If you are going to use it in an image make sure I can barley tell where you've used it :wink: . :lol:

ciao OMA

guess all my work has been ruined. :lol: there's at least one in every picture I do. some have many and I mean more than 10. Yes there are some in the dragon.

#3 should read polar inversion should be treated as just one tool in making an effect not an effect all by itself. If you are going to use it in an image make sure I can barley tell where you've used it :wink: . :lol:

ciao OMA

I meant that as in, dont use it when you're in doubt, not never use it.

"Being calm can work wonders"

Signature-1.png

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Why was this never stickied anyhow? These are just the sort of things every new user needs to know when getting started.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

We have enough stickied in this section. While it is a wonderful guide, it's not really a tutorial is it? Or is it ??