How to Install Plugins ×

Desktop Background Preview

Simon Brown

In my opinion, there are many good images, however, not all of them are suited to being desktop backgrounds. Personally, I find that many images that look good in PDN or a web-browser make the desktop look horrible.

Here is a very simple plugin that allows you to preview potential images as a background with three clicks - without the annoyance of actually setting it as your background. It is placed in the new Image Application submenu and goes in the Effects folder.

dbphr4.png

KaHuc.png

The idea is interesting!

But you should write for each plugin in which menu it is located. The "searching" stuff gets nasty as the number of submenus and effects grows.

Thank you. :)

I'm just wondering two things:

1. How you came up with this, and

2. Why did you come up with this?

I mean, to change the background manually, you just find the picture in your pictures, right click, then set as background. It tries to fix a problem which dosen't exist.

I'm slightly confused regarding the function of this plugin and I'm not the type to d/l something just to SEE what it does...

Does this just facilitate a temporary change of the desktop? If so, at what point is the original BG put back in place?

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

If you are working on a background and want to test what it looks like on your desktop you would have to save it specifically as a format other than PDN (ie forced Save As use), locate the image, make it your background, decide what you think of it, find your original background, make this your background, go back to PDN and ensure you are saving in the .PDN format again.

If you are happy doing all of this each time you make a minor adjustment to your image - go ahead and report the first post.

KaHuc.png

The first post is somewhat misleading. It implies that this has an effect on you actual desktop backgroud. I think everyone would benefit from a little clarification.

The plugin temporarily renders your current image in a faux fullscreen mode with a sample app window smack-dab in the middle and the Windows startbar at the bottom (unless you have it set 'auto-hide'...like myself). The sample app window is movable and once you close it PdN comes back up.

BUG:

This plugin is not registered by PdN as the 'last used'; ergo, Crtl+F no workie...

Crtl+F no workie...

Probably because it has no config token despite having a dialog. But why would you want to Ctrl-F an image that doesn't affect the image?

KaHuc.png

The most common image adjustments made involve levels & curves...no effects required. In those situations, DBP would be the last/only effect used; so Crtl+F would be the easiest way to apply it for each subsequent use.

Someone might want to see how minor changes affect the overall image in a BG setting.

But why would you want to Ctrl-F an image that doesn't affect the image?

That's like asking, why would you create a plugin which dosen't affect an image?

That's like asking, why would you create a plugin which dosen't affect an image?
Don't be hatin', man!

lol

OK, I agree, this was a bad plugin idea.

Don't say 'bad' say 'novel'...

That's what I think it is. ;)

Not a bad idea, IMO. I like it.

But what would make this really useful would bee if this was capable of actually setting the picture as background.

My DA: http://leif-j.deviantart.com/

--------------

Some people seek justice so persistent, that they will do great injustice themselves.

But what would make this really useful would bee if this was capable of actually setting the picture as background.

I will consider including this feature.

KaHuc.png

I really wanted a plugin like this! Thanks for your hard work, I appreciate it. I honestly don't know why people wouldn't want it.

EliteOverride25.png

:) Visit-> My Website <-Visit :)

Please Call Me Elite Override

The trick to flying is throwing yourself at the floor and missing.

sabrown, you're rather creative with bringing up new submenus and I have one recommendation: Make a new submenu called "Other" and if you have no idea where to place an effect take "Other".

sabrown, you're rather creative with bringing up new submenus and I have one recommendation: Make a new submenu called "Other" and if you have no idea where to place an effect take "Other".

The problem is that it is often difficult to know whether a certain type of plugin will be a one-off or one of several.

KaHuc.png

The problem is that it is often difficult to know whether a certain type of plugin will be a one-off or one of several.

Then don't put it in a sub-menu?

Yeah. You can move it again later. I don't like having several submenus with only one item in them.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Yeah. You can move it again later. I don't like having several submenus with only one item in them.

Y E S

:)

I must say, this is ingenious! I often make or modify pictures for my 1280 x 800 screen, and this makes it easier than having to save over and over again, which is very annoying IMO. Great plugin! One suggestion (Which i believe has been mentioned before): Make it able to actually set it as the desktop background. Otherwise, nice job, now one of my favorite plugins :D.

• 2 months later...

I've been looking for something like this!!

(Thanks)

the Definition of "rebel"

1. take part in a rebellion; renounce a former allegiance

2. insurgent

3. maverick

4. break with established customs

My_Sig2.png