Paint 3.31 - Open/Save-As (still) grinds system to a halt

I had the prior version of Paint.NET installed for a couple months and it worked great - I was thrilled. Ever since I installed Paint.NET 3.30, however, I am having severe issues with the program.

As the subject says, opening Paint.NET, then trying to open the "Save As" dialog causes my entire system to being unusable for anywhere from 30 seconds to several minutes to forever. The longer lockups require me to use ctrl+alt+del (which still takes forever) and kill the Paint.NET process.

This happens with the default blank image, with simple JPGs, and simple 1 layer and 2 layer images. All other basic Paint.NET features appear to work normally, although I really only used the draw rectangle/line/text tools and then save my images.

I uninstalled Paint.NET 3.30, re-installed Paint.NET 3.22, and now 3.22 has the same "Save As" problem... sigh. I'll be attempting to re-install .NET and 3.30, but this is an absolute nightmare for productivity.

UPDATE: Reinstalling .NET Framework 3.5 did not fix the problem, which basically means I have no idea how to fix this.

UPDATE: Installed PDN 3.31 has not fixed the problem (or affected it in any way)

System Specs:

Windows XP, fully patched.

2 monitors (Matrox dual head card)

Dual Core Pentium D 2.8 GHz

2 GB of RAM

Apps: Office 2007, Pidgin, OpenOffice, Quicktime/iTunes, SnagIt

.NET: .Net 2.0, 2.5 sp1, 3.0 sp1, and 3.5 installed

This is a typical Dell PC with the addition of the rather cheap dual head graphics card.

No system configuration changes were made recently (since Paint.NET 3.22 was last working properly).

What version of the .NET framework are you using?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

What version of the .NET framework are you using?

I am using .net framework version 3.5. I just re-installed and still have the problem with both Paint.NET 3.30 and 3.22.

Whatever 3.30 did to mess up my system, it did a damn thorough job.

At this point, I basically can't use Paint.NET anymore. It was nice while it lasted.

Do you have DivX installed ?

What folder is save as trying to see when the dialog box opens ?

Find that folder and move any movie files in that folder to a new folder. I had this problem before and it had to do with DivX trying to show video files as tumbnails.

No divx installed. The folder contains only JPGs (about 15 jpegs) and 2 other .PDN files. This is a local drive, in a subfolder underneath my "My Documents" folder.

Have you run PDNRepair.exe?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

I just ran it, as I hadn't heard of it before. No difference. Still takes 20-40 seconds for save as dialog to appear, during which time the system is unusable (not even the mouse will move). A second attempt on Save As takes even longer, around several minutes, and a third attempt doesn't show the dialog even after 10 minutes of waiting.

Also, once I do get the dialog, it takes around 10-20 seconds for it disappear once I press "Cancel".

Can you move all images from that folder into another folder and then try the save as to rule out load time of thumbnails or a bad image file.

I anticipated that this is what you were getting at and made an empty subfolder and spent the 10 minutes it took to do a save-as in that folder. Even with the empty folder as my "Working" folder, trying to do save-as again still took several times longer on the next try. Closing Paint.NET and trying again still took the full minute or so for my first save-as, and the usual several minutes for the next.

Well, I found a workaround. I completely uninstalled Paint.NET and deleted every registry key and file that had to do with it that I could find. Rebooted, reinstalled with a freshly downloaded Paint.NET 3.30 zip from the getpaint.net site and this time, my install seems to be working.

No idea what was wrong with it on the first try, but I'm glad it's usable again. Thanks for the help guys.

Glad it's working now! :-)

Well, I spoke to soon. Paint.NET only worked briefly. I launched Word 2007 and Pidgin, then tried using Paint.NET and both the Open and Save As options brought my system to a screeching halt. 100% processor usage for nearly a minute on the first try, then for many minutes on the second, possibly never showing the dialog since I always did an excruciatingly slow ctrl+alt+del task manager kill of the Paint.NET process.

Closing down all my open apps and retrying didn't make Paint.NET work again. I'll hope a reboot does the trick, but I doubt it...

Are you sure you don't have a corrupted RAM stick? We had a problem with that a while back...I can't remember where it is, or how to confirm, but that is a possibility.

When i first got this machine, it did, in fact, have a bad stick of RAM. We replaced it, and then did lots of testing of the system hardware to verify that all was well. Then we reinstalled the OS and it's worked perfect. The only thing that doesn't work now is Paint.NET =(

I did a little more testing. Word 2007 will cause the problem, but so will other things - I haven't figured out the exact trigger.

When Paint.NET has the system locked up, task manager shows that one core of my cpu is 40% Paint.NET and 60% Explorer.exe, with the other core completely free.

Also, it's definitely true that each time I try to the use the Open/Save As dialogs, the lockup lasts several times longer.

Also, even when Paint.NET is working properly IMMEDIATELY after a reboot, the Open/Save As dialogs take 5-10 seconds each to open and close (even when just pressing Cancel to close!), which seems abnormally long.

When in task manager go to processes and look at word 2007 memory usage along with Paint.NET memory useage. Do not do any work in any of them. Does the memory useage stay the same, go up and down, or just keep going up ?

I don't know what this is supposed to prove, but here's the requested info:

So, Word 2007 and Paint.NET are both open, both with empty default document/image open, no work being done.

WINWORD.EXE: 0% of Processor time; 7,352K Mem Usage; 16,644K VM Size, no changes in a 1 minute period

PaintDotNet.exe: 0% of Processor time; 41,552K Mem Usage; 40,584K VM Size, no changes in a 1 minute period

I then click the Paint.NET Open button from the toolbar and PaintDotNet then takes 50% of CPU (1 full core), no significant change in either mem usage or vm size (they stay with 500K of their starting values).

The dialog pops up an outline with a list view of files pretty quickly (although the entire screen is blinking as it struggles to redraw itself) and seems to really get locked up when trying to switch to thumbnails in the dialog.

Also, even once Paint.NET has managed to get the dialog drawn and available, it's incredibly slow to use. Dragging other app windows around (such as the task manager) its excruciatingly slow if they are moved over any part of the Paint.NET window.