How to Install Plugins ×

Icon, Cursor, and Animated Cursor Format v3.7 (May 2010)

evanolds

I am having porblem in saving icons in 256 X 256 size, it seem even if it show that it is 256 X 256 when i select icon in explorer infact it is not in reality. I am using Vista and i tried to put some custom icons on my desk shortcuts and surprisingly the Icon stay small and only a Square around the Icon that grow up when i Larger the view of icon size.

I'm not sure if the ICO plugin supports the 256x256 icon format that Vista is expecting. In my experience, mixing "old" ICO tools with Vista doesn't necessarily produce the right results.

I guessing it's exactly what Rick said. I had to revise the plugin earlier because Vista introduced a new aspect of the file format that allows embedded PNGs. While I implemented the loading code to handle this, I did not add it into the saving code because it would produce icons that many other icon supporting programs wouldn't read. It's Vista here that is causing the perversion of the icon format, but I guess that doesn't really change the fact that it's now the new way that icon files are expected to be.

So, I might try to look into adding 256x256 PNG embeddeding into the save options next month.

I got the latest version but it dont seem to save in real 256 X 256 there is a Bug somewhere in the plugin

Since you posted twice I will respond twice and tell you that, no, there is not a bug somewhere in the plug-in (well at least not with respect to the 256x256 saving). The icon file format is not standardized well and doesn't technically even really have the capability to save 256x256 icons, since unsigned byte values are used to store the dimensions and unsigned bytes can store maximum values of 255. The "workaround" that was implemented stores dimensions of 255 or 0 (can't remember) for 256x256 icons because this how it was done in EVERY image editor that I saw that worked with icons. Again, this is a Vista thing, so if I add the capability it will not be fixing a bug, I will be adding a capability that helps Windows Vista recognize the icons correctly but prevents most other programs from recognizing the 256x256.

Again, I'll maybe look into it next month.

There are no warranties whatsoever on my plug-ins. Use them at your own risk. You may redistribute them if you'd like, but I'd prefer you just link to the download on my site. Please do not modify and redistribute.

I cant seem to get this plug in to work, cant find in effects drop down menu :(.

Did I miss something :oops:

Yes, you missed something significant. This isn't an effect--it is a file type plugin.

Instead of putting the dll file in the Effects folder you need to put it in the File Types folder.

To access it, you don't look under the Effects menu you see it as an option when you select File > Save As.

This isn't an effect--it is a file type plugin.

Instead of putting the dll file in the Effects folder you need to put it in the File Types folder.

To access it, you don't look under the Effects menu you see it as an option when you select File > Save As.

Place the DLL in the FileTypes folder, and it will become an option in the Filetype drop-downs of the Open and Save dialogs.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Hi im kinda new and how do you make animated cursors?

I must be the only Telugu Speaking Person in this world!

well, animated cursors seem to be seperate layers for each frame. I opened one up from a theme pack and just swapped the frames for whatever image was wanted for that frame (i wanted amonochrome vista circle one and i had one from a modded version of royale noir that was blue)

• 3 weeks later...

Great plugin indeed. But there is still room to improve.

For example, the 24x24 resolution is left out, which is critical because Windows title bar icon is 24x24. If the size doesn't exist in a icon file, it will use the 32x32 one. As a result the quality will be poor.

GUI-wise, it will be better to provide a table-like control to select various formats. E.g. various resolution as rows and color depth as columns. This allow users to quickly enable/disable a row (same resolution of depth) or a column (same depth of resolutions) by just one click.

Including some predefined format combination for users to choose will be sweet too.

Some common export format combinations are:

1. 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, 48x48 for both 32 bits, 16 bits and 8 bits (Windows XP)

2. 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, 48x48 for both 32 bits only (Windows XP)

3. 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, 48x48, 64x64, 128x128 for 32 bits (Windows Vista)

4. 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, 48x48, 64x64, 128x128, 256x256 for 32 bits (Windows Vista with extra large icon support)

/*************************************************/

I would be willing to add in some of the features if the source code could be release, as alleyjo said:"in the spirit of Paint.NET!".

• 2 weeks later...
... the 24x24 resolution is left out ...

Small update: I have added 24x24 resolution. Also when you check a check box in the save options it becomes checked, instead of having to click it twice like before.

Just a small update with these two things, I'll look into the other requests later.

There are no warranties whatsoever on my plug-ins. Use them at your own risk. You may redistribute them if you'd like, but I'd prefer you just link to the download on my site. Please do not modify and redistribute.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey im new to Paint.net,even though I've had it for a long time,without using it,cuase i never knew how to draw or make anything,but anyway,where are the mouse properties?

Pretty Please can you release the source code!!!

@Qwiiq

You Set the icons by first making the program a short cut

then you right click once and select properties

the select change icon

and place the location of the .ico file

:D hope it helps

Very nice. I always wondered why PDN didn't have an icon system, and this works great. maybe I can design my own icons for my PC now ^^

logoforum3eg4.jpg

I'm BRAZILIAN!

I love Anime Art!

Ok, your avatar is too big. Max width is 100px. Your sig is WAY too big. Max height is 150px, and max width is 500px.

I'm still alive!