How to Install Plugins ×

Icon, Cursor, and Animated Cursor Format v3.7 (May 2010)

evanolds

Here's a mod of Evan Old's File-type - hopefully it solves some of the issues.

If Mr. Olds returns to update the FileType himself I will happily remove it.

Download newer version at this post

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/927-icon-cursor-and-animated-cursor-format-v37-may-2010/?p=514467

• Upvote 5

Go out there and be amazing. Have Fun, TR
TRsSig.png?raw=1
Some Pretty Pictures Some Cool Plugins

Here's a mod of Evan Old's File-type - hopefully it solves some of the issues.

If Mr. Olds returns to update the FileType himself I will happily remove it.

Great!

It seems to work without an issue.

Just tried this, thanks, but for some reason the save dialog doesn't have a cur file type. It's got ani and ico but no cur. The open dialog has cur and they open fine, I just can't save them.

TechnoRobbo, what changes did you have to make?

I forced the dialog to the foreground when shown - they were being lost in the background even though they were modal. 

Added this code to Shown Events:

this.TopMost = true;
            this.Focus();
            this.BringToFront();

Just tried this, thanks, but for some reason the save dialog doesn't have a cur file type. It's got ani and ico but no cur. The open dialog has cur and they open fine, I just can't save them.

Sorry missed that.

Try this v4.0.1

IcoCur.zip

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Go out there and be amazing. Have Fun, TR
TRsSig.png?raw=1
Some Pretty Pictures Some Cool Plugins

Thanks TR!

Links updated in the first post.

• 1 month later...

@TechnoRobbo: Thank you, the plugin works. There is still some issues with the plugin though:

Issue 1:

* open an icon with multiple bitmaps in (I've did so from Explorer)

* the "Icon/Cursor Load Options" comes up, leave it open

* open another iucon (I've did so from Explorer, in this case with a single bitmap only)

Result: 100% CPU on one core, nothing happens until you switch to the "Icon/Cursor Load Options" and choose one or cancel it.

Issue 2: If you cancel the "Icon/Cursor Load Options" you still have the file open with only the background set (and a message without a message title), is it possible to abort the load completely?

Issue 3 (Feature Request): Is it possible to name the layers of the image file including the color dept? Currently there are multiple layers with the same names.

Issue 4: `this.TopMost = true;` seems a bit too much, this is the only application (part) I've recognized so far that still shows up when I switch to a full-screen RDP session. Does it work without this? If not: is it possible to remove this in the `onFocus` (or whatever appropriate) event of the dialogue?

Issue 5 (severe): If you cancel the Save Dialogue you get a 0 byte file (the original version is lost).

Thank you for your answer,

pdn-user

Edit: added issues 4+5

Edited by pdn-user

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have your 4.0 version of IcoCur.dll, but I tried it with PDN 4.07 and then 4.09 and it simply will not show a "ico" filetype in the open dialog. I even tried dragging an .ico file into PDN, but the warning message appears saying the filetype is not compatible with PDN.

I had PDN 4.10 but I did not try the icocur.dll on it before I dumped it and went backward to a better behaved PDN.

The plugin description says this works on PDN 4.0+ ... is anyone being successful using this plugin?

I have long wanted to be able to edit icon filetypes in PDN, so was excited to see this. I hope it can be fixed.

• Upvote 1

Ketchup Kid

.. it simply will not show a "ico" filetype in the open dialog. I even tried dragging an .ico file into PDN, but the warning message appears saying the filetype is not compatible with PDN. ...

I just used this plugin 2 hours ago. Worked fine.

Make sure you've installed it correctly. The .dll file needs to be placed in the 'FileTypes' folder, rather than the 'Effects' folder.

• Upvote 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

@KetchupKid: It works with current versions. I've used it with 4.0.9 and found the bugs I've posted one post before yours when doing so (and still hope for a reply to these).

I just used this plugin 2 hours ago. Worked fine.

Make sure you've installed it correctly. The .dll file needs to be placed in the 'FileTypes' folder, rather than the 'Effects' folder.

Silly me - that makes sense. I did not realize that, but I have it there now. Thanks! :)

Ketchup Kid

• 1 month later...

I'm using latest IcoCur.zip v4.0.1 with Paint.net v4.0.10. When I open an ico file with several images all of them are given with proper color depths (32-bit, 8-bit). When I save this ico file and reload it again all color depths are reset to 32-bit (so there are two 32x32 images with color depth 32-bit, and two 16x16 images with color depth 8-bit).

How do I persist color depths of each image in ico file?

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

TechnoRobbo's version of the plugin no longer works on Paint.NET version 4.0.19

If anyone would be able to do a lossless conversion of my 32x32 .png file in the same resolution, that would help me out big time in developing a new website.

The .ico generating websites I have found only generate 16x16 format.

Thunder icon 32x32.png

Roos-Skywalker%20close%20up.jpg

1 hour ago, RoosSkywalker said:

TechnoRobbo's version of the plugin no longer works on Paint.NET version 4.0.19

If anyone would be able to do a lossless conversion of my 32x32 .png file in the same resolution, that would help me out big time in developing a new website.

The .ico generating websites I have found only generate 16x16 format.

Thunder icon 32x32.png

What do you need .ico?

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, GermanTacos said:

Opening .ani files isn't seeming to work on the newest version.

Toe-Head-2001 pointed this out to me, which solved my problem: "Make sure you've installed it correctly. The .dll file needs to be placed in the 'FileTypes' folder, rather than the 'Effects' folder."

Ketchup Kid

Based on the video, it looks like it's installed correctly.

@GermanTacos, I'm able to open .ani without issue.

I see you're loading from the "Jake" desktop. Is that your user account? If not, that might explain the access violation.

Can you please attach one of those problematic .ani files for us to look at and investigate?

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

I downloaded the IcoCur plugin today to use with v4.0.19, and it works great, except for one severe issue related to missing output options.

In Microsoft's Device Metadata Authoring Wizard (used to change information and icons for installed hardware) it allows the use of custom icons

-BUT-

they must have all the formats listed, or the icon cannot be used.

These are the format specs: 

4 sizes: 48x48, 32x32, 24x24, 16x16

Each size must have these color settings: 32-Bit+Alpha, 8-Bit (256), and 4-Bit (16)

This makes 12 images combined into a single file.

Currently, the plugin does the 32-bit+alpha, and the 8-Bit; but not the 4-Bit options that are required.

• 9 months later...