How to Install Plugins ×

Icon, Cursor, and Animated Cursor Format v3.7 (May 2010)

evanolds

Posted version 3.7 which saves all images that have dimensions greater than or equal to 256 as PNGs.

Please let me know if you find any problems.

This plugin usually works fine, but if I try to open an ico file which is defective (unknowingly), I get the message "Icon/Cursor Data is invalid and can not be loaded." When I click OK to clear the message, PdN crashes ('unhandled error'), leaving a crashlog on the desktop.

I don't expect PdN to open invalid files. I'm only posting this because because of the crashlog.

I tried to attach the crashlog but got got an error message saying I'm not permitted to upload this kind of file.

• 1 month later...

Hi there. I really like this plug-in; it's a great addition to PDN's functionality.

There is one thing I want to bring up though:

When I load an icon and the Icon/Cursor Selector window appears to have me select an image in the icon, pressing "Cancel" results in an error and Paint.NET closes.

I'm using 64-bit Windows 7 with Service Pack 1.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I only recently discovered this plugin and I love it. Thanks a bunch!

A one stop shop for all my quickie editing needs helps keep life simple.

• 3 weeks later...

If I download this plug-in from Post #1, am I getting the latest version or do I need to weed through the 12 pages of this post to find that (I can't imagine that would be the case, but who knows)?

~Joe

Avoid Sears Home Improvement (click to read why)

I do believe that is the latest version. If it isn't, it works anyways.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Hello everyone, Ive downloaded this dll twice and put it in my effects folder - but nothing - is there a new user or troubleshooting guide out there for this plugin?

Running windows vista and have the latest version of pdn.

Thanks ~ Reed

Hi Reed, welcome to the forum.

This plugin is a filetype (it extends the type of files that Paint.NET can load and save). As it's a filetype, pop it in the /filetype/ folder, not the /effects/ folder :)

Red Ochre is quite correct. it only shows up as more filetype extensions when you load or save/save as.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Sorry if this has been fixed already, but occaisonally the Icon save dialog (this one) is sometimes hidden in the background.

Maybe its because I use keybord shorcuts to save? Obviously you can ALT+TAB to show the window. The first time this happended to me, I thought PDN crashed - I was waiting for a long time ;). I don't think this happens with the open dialog.

Also, when saving, if you click 'Cancel' on the Icon save dialog, the file will still be written... but as empty!

Lastly, a personal suggestion :)

Upon loading, maybe when you hold 'Shift', the largest image size will be loaded, bypassing the dialog? I don't know, might not be the best for everyone.

Great plugin, though! Extremely useful.

[using latest filetype plugin version from first post of this thread]

~ I love Paint.NET!!

Edited by navcar

• 2 weeks later...

I love creating my own icons & cursors all thanks to PDN and this plug-in! :D Instead of a bunch of tiny arrows, hands, and symbols, I created arrowhead style cursors that change color depending on what the mouse is hovering over. It turns green for a link you can click, blue for text areas, yellow for handwriting, and red for anything it can't do. I made them bigger so you guys can see them easier. :D

timerarrowbig.gif    <<< Is the only animated cursor I'm using, the rest are normal stationary cursors shown below.

sebcursors.jpg

mousecursors3.jpg

Edited by RFX

RFX5A1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello, first, I wanted to say that I love this plugin.  I use it a lot.  I was wondering though if there was a chance we could get support for 512 X 512...  It seems like 256 isn't quite big enough for Windows 8 and my icons are starting to look a bit choppy...

Thanks.  :)

M_Lyons4_Signature.jpg

My First Signature...

• 2 weeks later...

What format and settings are you using when you save?

hi. i have a question. Why when y save an image, the image appears pixelated? 

You're probably using an icon image that's too small.  For example on screens with high resolutions, or desktop icons where you have not included a large enough size.

An .ico file contains various images for different uses.  16, 24, 32, 48, 128, 256, (And now 512) are the common sizes...  You need to include all of the sizes in the final file that you intend to use.

Which is why I'm hoping they will add support for 512, as that has now become necessary...  :(

M_Lyons4_Signature.jpg

My First Signature...

This works fine, but since installing it a few other applications (e.g. Adobe Reader, MS Lync) have now started displaying the Paint.NET icon in the task bar instead of their proper icons.  Very strange...

ok... i try to save an image with 1.80 mb (size) but when i save it the image appears with a lot of squares XD (pixelated).

Wait.. thank you for this "You need to include all of the sizes in the final file that you intend to use."  now i have a pretty icon XD without squares

lamparademercuriofirmab.png

• 2 weeks later...

ok... i try to save an image with 1.80 mb (size) but when i save it the image appears with a lot of squares XD (pixelated).

Wait.. thank you for this "You need to include all of the sizes in the final file that you intend to use."  now i have a pretty icon XD without squares

You're welcome.  Glad I could help.

Does anyone know (Not to be a pain), if there's any chance of getting support for 512 icon sizes in this plugin?  I use this plugin ALL the time and love it and was kind of hoping this could be added.  Is this plugin still actively developed?

Thanks Again for all of the hard work that went into this great plugin.

M_Lyons4_Signature.jpg

My First Signature...

• 5 weeks later...

If either creating icons in PDN or importing some already made, that may be used on desktop, in Explorer, etc., should you go ahead & select in PDN to merge images of 48, 32, 16 px into one file?  Assuming you've installed the save to ico plugin.  If I save in only 16 px & use that in an Explorer folder of shortcuts, it looks OK - until select that shortcut / file, then it looks awful in the thumbnail (if turned on in Windows).

That plugin automatically selects the 32 & 8 bit icons for a given size.  What would the 8 bit versions be used for on a modern computer w/ HD monitor?

Thanks.