How to Install Plugins ×

Icon, Cursor, and Animated Cursor Format v3.7 (May 2010)

evanolds

@BDP Yes, you are correct. There are more options in evanolds icon file-type. It also does a merged format so all sizes are in the .ico file.

I only pointed out Kyle's icon creator because it also saves at 256x256, though they are single .ico files.

evanolds: 01_evanolds_icons.png     Kyle's:  02_KyleTTucker_iconcreator.png

Both save at 128x128, so @Klutz must make sure he/she has the latest copy of evanolds, which is here:  https://github.com/foxx1337/IcoCur/releases/tag/v7.0   It's possible he/she doesn't because they are asking for 128x128.

@foxx1337 kindly recompiled it to work in later versions. It still works as does Kyle's.

@Klutz I think the maximum cursor size Windows allows is 32x32, so that in the plugin will never change.

• 3 months later...
13 minutes ago, aqlord said:

running 5.0.12, not getting the option to save a .ico file... neither plugin seems to work

@aqlord Are you running the Classic (i.e. free) or the Microsoft Store version of paint.net?

Are you certain that you have placed the .dll in the correct FileTypes folder: https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/InstallPlugins.html

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2023 at 8:18 AM, lynxster4 said:

@Klutz I think the maximum cursor size Windows allows is 32x32, so that in the plugin will never change.

This does not seem to be the case, at least with Windows 11. For example, try opening C:\Windows\Cursors\aero_arrow.cur with the plugin. It'll give you this prompt:

image.thumb.png.dc68592b1f8d85dda5e1a53deb8965a6.png

I'm unable to figure out any way to save the cursor with the image split preserved. Once I save after editing any of the layers, the plugin seems to just save them all as one image.

Of course, saving as an .ico works, but then cursor hotspot information is missing so that's not really usable.

Edited by milkcanworld

Hi @milkcanworld and welcome to the forum.  I have long given up on the above plugins. They have many limitations and haven't been updated in a long while.

I use Greenfish Icon Editor, which is free, found here.  It works great and makes both icons and cursors.

Please check it out.  ☺️

EDIT: For clarification, I use PDN to make all the .pngs, then open them in Greenfish.

• Upvote 1