How to Install Plugins ×

Conditional Hue/Saturation Effect Available

evanolds

This wa exactly what i made with it, but i don't have the same effect of colorize.

This is original img

http://nextage.altervista.org/PaintNetForum/original.jpg

This is photoshop img

http://nextage.altervista.org/PaintNetForum/photoshop.jpg

This is paint.net img

http://nextage.altervista.org/PaintNetForum/paint.net.jpg

those are photoshop option

http://nextage.altervista.org/PaintNetForum/photoshop_hue.gif

those are paint.net option - i try also to set saturation fot obtain same result, but i can't find it

http://nextage.altervista.org/PaintNetForum/paint.net_hue.gif

It's similar but not same... I don't unnderstand why this morning all was color blu and now work better, but doesn't matter :wink:

deviantart.jpg mp.jpg

darknight, your pictures did not come through.

EDIT: DOn't feel like posting a new one.

You have to save these to your hard drive...curse the greed of them

~~

it's altervista fault. they doesn't allow external use of their site's page... i convert them into url

deviantart.jpg mp.jpg

I would say that photoshop leans and averages the hues of the image towards a color you picked, rather than setting them to a specific color. Also, it has a saturation range of 0 to 100 % (Not 0.01 to 100%)

~~

i don't have the same effect of colorize

Yes, you're right. The colorize command is not what I thought it was at first glance. After playing around in Photoshop I see that it actually makes desaturated pixels (pixels with no color), into pixels with a color value (hence the "Colorize" name). Normally, any hue or saturation option on a desaturated pixel leaves it the same. This is why my plug-in, as is, will not change any desaturated pixels (saturation values of zero are excluded from the condtion range anyway).

This is really something that you should request from Rick, to be added into the main HSL adjustment that is built into PDN. It would fit better in there as opposed to in my plug-in, since the whole "conditional" part of my plug-in is not even in use.

However, my saturation adjustment looks crummy, so I will at least change that to match PDN's saturation adjustment methods. I'll still try to achieve the colorize effect if I can figure out exactly what it's doing, but we'll see...

There are no warranties whatsoever on my plug-ins. Use them at your own risk. You may redistribute them if you'd like, but I'd prefer you just link to the download on my site. Please do not modify and redistribute.

I ask for this feaure because at home i use it a ot for my peronal work.

but at home i have photohop.

In office i haven't photohop, an I think it could be usefull here too.

but that's not a problem, i always have photoshop at home.

I don't know how to ask to paint net dev to add this feature to native paint net hsl asjustment... but your plugin it's cool, not really a colorize, but similar and could help me in others way :D

And remember, even if this effect isn't the same as colorize, it could help and someone could need this command... as what i'm doing with animated gif, it isn't the same of image ready [which give also the possibility to edit image too, my little program - in developpment, i found some bug - oly create animation] but i was able to add a new feature for export single frame, and photoshop doesn't allow this, i don't know why!

So I think that the native plugin could add the colorize feature and your could be use for other think [it's conditional, so more powerful but more complex]

deviantart.jpg mp.jpg

Ok, I have posted another version. I don't know how the colorize feature works so it has not been implemented. If I do figure it out, it's likely that it will show up in a separate plug-in, not this one.

However you can achieve an effect that is very similar using the latest version (version 1.2). The saturation adjustment has been fixed so that you can drag the saturation all the way up and not get as bad of a quality loss.

There are no warranties whatsoever on my plug-ins. Use them at your own risk. You may redistribute them if you'd like, but I'd prefer you just link to the download on my site. Please do not modify and redistribute.

• 3 weeks later...

The plug-in won't work for me, does it only work on 2.6x, cause I can't install that for some reson. NOTE: I have 2.5.

What error?

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

Yep, sorry.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst using your plugin I ended up with a very cool rainbow effect.

Before & After:

BeforeRainbow.jpg

RainbowCool.jpg

:D

If you're not into numbers, call me Chris!

• 2 weeks later...

am... yeah, when i try to use it, it does not work...

all you have to do is tell me how to use it...

Make sure you have some of the selected colors on the layer you have selected, otherwise you won't see anything. The plug-in was designed to limit the effect to the colors within the rounded triangle in the upper-left of the window.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

um...I know this plug in works but I don't understand how! For example I want to change leaves on a tree blue. How do I do that???

Zacariem!

They said we couldn't fly.

We did.

Anythings possible!

zacariem_firy_sig2.png

For example I want to change leaves on a tree blue. How do I do that???

In the conditional hue/saturation dialog, you'll want to select a portion of the color wheel that corresponds to these leaves, this will most likely be the "green range" on the wheel. Use the left and right mouse buttons to select the portion on the color wheel that looks green.

Then for the hue action, leave it as the default "Add" or change it to "Set" (either will work) and drag the slider until the leaves become blue. Note that other "green" objects in the picture will shift too, you may have to do a rough selection of the tree leaves area before executing the effect.

I threw together a very rough example of this:

http://www.evanolds.com/hs_BlueLeaves.avi

Hopefully that will get the general idea across. The first 50 seconds or so of the video shows it happening.

On another note...

Is it possible to change the black color to any other color using your plugin?

No, this cannot be done. Black has no hue so it is ignored completely by this plug-in. What you're looking for is a "colorize" effect, and while no one that I know of has made a plug-in to do this the effect can still be acheived with some tinkering. Do a search for "colorize" in the forums and you'll find someone explaining how to do it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi evanolds

Plugin works fine. thanks. I am trying to learn to write a simple plugin for PDN. I tried your source code and is unable to compile it - it complains something about "EffectsDialog..." and "Effects". Anything I need to fix at this end? I tried compiling the Photoshop PDS file plugin and it works ok. In that plugin it says to copy the 2 PDN...dll to a subfolder in the project in order to compile. Does your proj requires the same? I also tried to add folder/reference of PDN's dll to the project - still gives compile errors. Any help is much appreciated. (I am trying to understand the API calls 'cos I want to have a go at writing simple plugins myself). Thanks

I am trying to learn to write a simple plugin for PDN. I tried your source code and is unable to compile it - it complains something about "EffectsDialog..." and "Effects".

Well from that I can't really say what might be wrong. If the compiler says "something" about the effects dialog and effects stuff then that could mean several different things. Perhaps if you list the exact compiler messages I might know what they mean, although I'm not a big fan of helping with compiler issues, those are usually for the individual to work out as they often depend on your current configuration.

For example, I'm on a more or less "out of the box" computer right now (not mine) that I just installed C# express 2005 on and the source code compiles fine with no errors. That's probably because PDN is installed in the default directory, the system drive on this computer is C:, etc. If any of those types of things are different on your computer then the project settings will have to be changed a bit.

Anything I need to fix at this end?

All the changes required will be on your end because, as mentioned before, the source compiles with no errors and no changes on a different computer with all the default settings. In general some references and directory stuff may have to be changed to get it to compile. If you are not using C# express 2005 then there may more configuration stuff that needs to be done.

To be honest, the bottom line is that I don't know what might be wrong because most of the problems with compiling the source will have to do with your configuration settings on your compiler. If you would like, you can try Rick's glow effect source and you may have better luck with that. It might serve you better if you're just looking for a framework to start your own effect plug-in because it's a bit cleaner than my plug-in.

Yes, it is annoying for me to re-reference the dll's in a solution to H:\Programs\Paint.NET\...

I built it after turning warnings off.

~~

@evanolds

Yhanks for assistance. I *found* the problem. The plugin src code is OK. The problem lies in the references to the PDNxxx.dll libs which is found in c:\Programs Files\Paint.Net

So in future if anyone has compile problems do the following:-

1. Load your .slnproject

2. Project->References->add Reference->Browse

then select the folder where you installed Paint.NET and click the pdnlib.dll and PaintDotNet.Data.dll. These are the 2 generally used. But if you are using effects you should also linkup PaintDotNet.Effects.dll. TO be safe I link all the DLLs in PaintDotNet.

You need to do this because every developer has his/her own folder locations. For example, the photoshop plugin request you to add the 2 PDN dll into a subfolder......but if you do the above, then you do not have to worry about future/other plugins 'cos you may end up with a few versions of PDN DLLs in every plugin.

So now all I have to do is edit the project and add the DLL reference and everything will be ok. I just recently installed the 2.70 version and automatically I have the new DLLs in place.

3. Many pluginswill NOT run off the hat. You must do the above. Now all the plugins I downloaded compiles ok.

Thanks evanolds for plugin.