Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PhilipLB

Mexican Hat Edge Detect

12 posts in this topic

Don't we have an edge detect already? Actually, stuff the rhetoric, we do. It's a default effect that comes with PdN. You can find it in the Stylize menu. Keep trying though - don't let me stop you! :mrgreen:

Edge_detect_UI_by_PhillipsJ2.png

What's this then? If there's much of a difference, could you upload a picture and explain the differences between yours and the default please?

I don't know, how the default-one works. I think it goes in a specific angle with scanlines over the image and the result is the first derive of the pixels in this direction.

Mine goes in x- and y-direction with the second derive and combines the two results (Laplace-filter). First, it reduces the noise with a gaussian blurr.

-> Laplace-Kernel:

0 1 0

1 -4 1

0 1 0

Do these changes have a significant effect on the outcome? Is the UI changed much? Can you upload "comparison" pictures of both yours and the default one?

The difference:

The default one only detects angles in a certain direction. Mine detects all edges.

See on the image, how some edges aren't detected by the default-one.

The ui of mine is simple. Just a slider to controll the amount of noise-reduce.

First image: Really nice result with noise-reduce = 1 and then normalized (See viewtopic.php?f=16&t=23154 ). :D

13568_e519a87b46c0a9c23dea184f0d715e74

13568_0ee75a7a0a065276663615edf2a38857

You have to admit, no matter how similar the two are, PhilipLB's results much crisper lines. In my opinion.

You have to admit, no matter how similar the two are, PhilipLB's results much crisper lines. In my opinion.

Agreed, can we get this one to replace the default one?