How to Install Plugins ×

Drop Shadow and other effects, KrisVDM's Plugin Pack (updated 2024-03-23) v.5.0.5.0

KrisVDM

Hmm, it seems that if users selects "Keep original image", then you just skip invisible parts of the shadow - this speeds things dramatically. Is that correct?

Mostly. To be precise, when "keep original image" is on, I do an alpha blend of the original image over the shadow. The optimization is that I don't calculate the shadow if the alpha for the original pixel is 255, and just render the original pixel.

I spent a lot of time over the years optimizing this. Various techniques are used. I guess the most important one is that I use partial evaluation. Basically, the first step of the process is to calculate the algorithm that will be executed, based on the parameter values. Then I execute that algorithm.

For example, if the widening parameter is zero, the widening step isn’t in the algorithm being executed. The same is true for the blur step (and others). If widening and blur are both being used, I need what you could think of as an intermediate surface, but I need it only in that case. It simply isn’t there if at least one of those parameters is zero.

The same is true for the “keep original image” functionality BTW. When that is off, the algorithm lacks the alpha blend step.

Creating the algorithm on the fly yields a faster algorithm, because I don’t need “if” statements for every individual pixel, as might be the case in a static program.

As it happens, I’ve done a lot of performance work over the last few months. Expect an even faster version soon.

I tried to install this and it didn't work and now when I open PDN an error message pops up that says KrisVDM's plugin didn't work...

Do you think you could put Drop Shadow up so that it'll work, that was the main one that I wanted.

THANKS! boltbait.big_smile.png

If the message you get is "Kris Vandermotten's Effects installed incorrectly. The installer can be run now (requires administrative rights). Do you want to run the installer now?", just click yes.

If the message you get is "Kris Vandermotten's Effects installed incorrectly. Please run the installer (Install.exe) again.", then just run the installer. It's the "Install.exe" file in the zip you downloaded.

As it happens, I’ve done a lot of performance work over the last few months. Expect an even faster version soon.

Unfortunately I'm limited to .NET 2.0 so probably most of your optimisations wont work for me :(

Anyway, I would love to see your new code. Are you planing to include sources?

Unfortunately I'm limited to .NET 2.0 so probably most of your optimisations wont work for me :(

Anyway, I would love to see your new code. Are you planing to include sources?

If you are limited to .NET 2.0, you're probably also limited to C# 2.0. In that case my source is close to useless to you, as it relies heavilly on lambdas and closures. But the techniques work on .NET 2.0, it's just that you have to write the lambdas as anonymous delegates.

There were several reasons why I stopped sharing the code, the most important one being that I noticed nobody was interested in it. Most people just want to use the effects; they’re not developers, and the presence of source code only confuses them. The second reason, albeit less important, is that I wanted to stop rip-offs, people making illegal money out of my work. I believe this is also the reason why Rick stopped sharing the source for PDN itself.

However, I am willing to help you of course. I will send you a PM.

Just updated without any problems. Just thought I would mention it so you know everything is hunkydory . :)

Thanks for the new plugins but surely they are just another take on plugins already available. Grid lines does the same as Grid/Checkerboard Maker and Object Align is the same as Align Object. Is there any reason why I should keep both versions of each?

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Great work, Kris.

May I make a small, very small, suggestion? For your grid line, I use the one that was written by MadJik, and I would like to know if you could add the ability to match horizontal and vertical. I think I'll uninstall the other Align plug-in and use yours. It seem to be much faster. Kudos!

Officially retired from this forum. Have a nice day.

I think I will use yours(Object Align) as well Kris . It`s definitely faster and you don`t have a UI getting in the way. However I`ll be sticking with Madjik`s version of Grid Maker as there are far more options. ;)

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Thanks for the new plugins but surely they are just another take on plugins already available. Grid lines does the same as Grid/Checkerboard Maker and Object Align is the same as Align Object. Is there any reason why I should keep both versions of each?

Nope, as far as I know there is no reason to keep both. Feel free to remove one of them.

As for Madjik's Grid Maker, maybe I should have done my homework better: I wasn't aware that it existed. It's just something I needed myself some time ago, and was very easy to create. As I had it anyway, I just included it in the download.

The story is different for Object Align. The exisiting one hasn't been updated for years. I created my own version for different reasons, including speed and ease of use (which is subjective, feel free to disagree). I'm not sure whether moc426 intends to create new versions of his plugin, but I definitely intend to maintain mine at the same level as my other plugins (and that will include a version for PDN 4 when it comes out).

Am I going mad or have the default settings on Drop-Shadow changed ?

You might be goind mad or not, I don't know about that ;)

But yes, the default settings have changed. I had received feedback from several people that they usually use it with both offsets set to zero. As that applies to myself as well, I changed the defaults.

Thank you. Very nice workable package.

Had no problems getting these into C:\ProgramFiles\Paint.NET\EFFECTS and working well.

Will be looking forward to your newer effects.

When I get the nerve I will post a few of mine to show how ALL has worked so well for me.

lila

I just tried a couple of those effects namely drop shadow with text, gradient, and color accent

with black and white picture, with layers combination and all the fuss

and if you know what you are doing i mean the results are quite good

thanks

Kris, have you considered renaming this thread to better reflect the nature of it?

I updated the entry today in the Plugin Index, and wondered if you'd be better describing the thread like this:

Drop Shadow & Effects - KrisVDM's Plugin Pack

Your choice entirely of course. I'm making the suggestion only in the interest of making the title more descriptive.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Kris. Great plug-ins, especially DropShadow.

I've got a problem though:

If the message you get is "Kris Vandermotten's Effects installed incorrectly. Please run the installer (Install.exe) again.", then just run the installer. It's the "Install.exe" file in the zip you downloaded.

I've tried running the installer from the zip folder as well as from within Paint.NET and a windows pops up breifly and shows "100%" but nothing is installed and the message (above) pops up every time I open Paint.NET.

Any solutions? Thanks.

Edit:

Okay, I only really need 3 plug-ins from this pack. Can someone please send me a PM with the dlls Drop Shadow, Object Align, and Fade Edge? It would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Edit 2: Never mind. I got this to work through a different computer and transferred the files. Thanks again for these great plug-ins. :D

Edited by KeyLogic

Okay, I only really need 3 plug-ins from this pack. Can someone please send me a PM with the dlls Drop Shadow, Object Align, and Fade Edge? It would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Just in case anyone has a similar problem: the installer will install only the effects you select, it's not all or nothing. I created the installer to make installation easy, inlcuding the scenario where you don't want everything.

In fact, you can also rerun the installer to remove some of the effects. Just deselect the ones you don't want.

The message that says "please run the installer again" is triggered by Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.Installer.dll. I created this dll because a lot of people just copy the contents of the zip folder into Paint.Net's effects folder. In fact, if they also copied install.exe, this dll will pick it up and allow running it. When the installer has run correctly, that dll is removed and the message no longer appears.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't run the installer because it can't detect that I have paint.net (I'm using LiberKey's version). Can you just upload the .dll's? It's not that hard to manually place plugins.

• 2 weeks later...

Why does the drop shadow effect not work sometimes? I select the area I want to make a drop shadow of with the magic wand and go to Effects-Object-Drop Shawdow and set it up and click ok but nothing happens. What am I doing wrong maybe?

Drop Shadow only works on objects with adjacent transparent pixels.

If your selection does not include transparent pixels around an object, Drop Dhadow will not work. If this is the case, I suggest you copy your selection (Ctrl+C) and paste it on a new layer (Ctrl+Shift+V), deselect (Ctrl+D) and then apply Drop Shadow. You can then merge the new layer back into the one your selection was made from.

Xkds4Lh.png

• 1 month later...

I just downloaded your plug in and have a question. Can i change the direct of the edge fade? It comes from the top right of the photo and want mine to come from the left or top left of the photo? If this is not possible, does anyone know of a plug in that will fade the edge from any direction? thank you!

Use the sliders and set them to negative values. The X slider when set to a negative value will offset the drop shadow to the left. Similarly, the Y slider when negative offsets the shadow to the top.

Sorry, those instructions above are for offsetting the Dropshadow effect - I need to read more carefully!

For the fade of one edge (left edge in this case):

Do a rectangular selection using the rectangle selection tool :RectangleSelectTool: include only the edge you want to fade, then run the effect.

Note: you may need to artificially extend the top and bottom canvas borders to get the effect to extend right to the top & bottom edges of the image. (Image > Canvas Size. Settings: anchor image LEFT, increase the height by an absolute size (not maintain apsect ratio) - add about 100px to the original height). Crop the extra off once you've run the effect. If you're wanting to fade two adjoining edges, increase both height and width (maintaining aspect ratio) and anchoring the image to centre.

I am just new to digital photography editing and effects and love the program. My boss who is a professional photographer tried to teach me photoshop and it just made my head hurt,(to much to learn) This program is easy to use and for someone just starting out and not sure if they want to get into something like this, free is good. It sounds like the majority of you are more advance, maybe you should go to photoshop if this isn't working or just stop whining. The fact that he keeps adding new effects and plug-in is a gift. Did I say this is free and he doesn't have to do that.