How to Install Plugins ×

Drop Shadow and other effects, KrisVDM's Plugin Pack (updated 2024-03-23) v.5.0.5.0

KrisVDM

I'm scared to download this, does this delete the old drop shadow, if so can you call this one drop shadow 2, and upload the old one aswell?
If you want to keep the old dropshadow as well, you can simply rename the dll for the old one, e.g. to Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.v2.dll. They'll appear both in your menu's then.

BTW, the old one is still online (for now) at http://users.telenet.be/kris.vandermotten/Paint.NET/. I can't guarantee it will stay there for ever though...

Do know that the new one has two improvements: the blur is now circular (the old one was rectangular) and the new one has the shadow widening option. And yes, the old one did have the color picker in the dialog box itself.

Maybe you can all ask Rick to create a property and IndirectUI for a color?

Rick, that would have to be color with bgr only, not bgra (for this effect). Many of the other effects and adjustments in this package would benefit from such a property. The alternative would be not to make effect dialogs modal but I guess the color property is a far simpler change.

Kris.

received this error after updating to the new 3.3 beta it pertains to the old version drop shadow so does this mean that one is not going to be updated any longer. must I download a newer one? thanks

OMA

PS I used that old one just about once a day and loved it!!

PSS I'm a grandmother and definietly not a programer so speak common english to me please.

I only need the drop shadow not all 12 of the other stuff mentioned in this plugin effect section.

File: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\drop shadows.dll

Effect Name: Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.DropShadowEffect

Full error message: System.MethodAccessException: PaintDotNet.ColorWheel..ctor()

at Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.DropShadowConfigDialog.InitializeComponent()

at Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.DropShadowConfigDialog..ctor()

at Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.DropShadowEffect.CreateConfigDialog()

at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.RunEffect(Type effectType)

Noooo :cry: Nooooo... :cry:Not the Old Drop Shadow :|

Sic transit gloria mundi...

(To avoid problems with the Rules, this was Latin and can be translated as "Thus passes the glory of the world"; however, I think it's common sence.)

Kris, can't you make a topic in the Coding Forum including the source of the old Drop Shadow? That way it would be possible to update the code and to recompile it for 3.30.

BTW, I think Paint.NET needs something like a compatibility feature.

Would it be possible to host the original version of this effect?

I'm kind-of don't like the l o n g

"Adjustments" menu.

Sorry if I sounded mean...

Fixed It...

Nevermind...

Love the effects keep em' coming

wallpapersignaturezs5.png

Firefox is the best! So is Relient K!

~96% of teens won't stand up for God. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 4% who will.

I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. Ezekiel 36:26

Bye Paint.NET!

The old dropshadow wont work with future versions of Paint.NET at this given moment and time.

:roll: I actually don't think oma and/or I said anything different..?

Erm, I don't know but... can someone actually tell me what the improvements of the new Drop Shadow are?

This is not irony!!! (Ho-nest-ly.) And no invitation to do bad jokes! I just think the author had something in mind when he updated the plugin and I'm just too stupid to get the point!

Here is the current version:

DShadowNew.png

This is the old version (which will not work beginning with the upcoming Paint.NET 3.30):

DShadowOld.png

At the moment I have to QFT this:

Ooh so il take 3.22 again because i need drop shadow :)

(...) as the large majority of us are using the old version due to its more drop shadow like effect and color wheel. (...)

Well, the icon is more colorful.

For the coding part, this may be recommended reading:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23064

Erm, I don't know but... can someone actually tell me what the improvements of the new Drop Shadow are?
Well, to be honest, I myself miss the color wheel too, but I was hoping the new stuff made up for that, the new stuff being:

- wider range for the offsets (-10..10 became -20..20)

- blur is now circular instead of rectangular

- shadow widening has been added

And the speed didn't suffer too much. In fact, in many scenario's it's faster than the old one. Only if you combine widening and blur it can become (very) slow but hey, that ís complex stuff.

If you want the color wheel back, I suggest you try to convince Rick to add support for it in Indirect UI.

Kris.

Kris, can't you make a topic in the Coding Forum including the source of the old Drop Shadow? That way it would be possible to update the code and to recompile it for 3.30.
I'd rather not. That code had some significant issues, and I don't want to maintain or support it. And BTW, it won't work with a simple recompile! We basically have to recreate the color wheel ourselves, though Rick has suggested that we copy and paste Paint.NET code to do so.

But you have the source code for the new one. If you can find out how to add your own property types and controls to Indirect UI let me know. I'd be glad to update the effects with color pickers.

Kris.

This is not irony!!! (Ho-nest-ly.) And no invitation to do bad jokes! I just think the author had something in mind when he updated the plugin and I'm just too stupid to get the point!

Here is the current version:

DShadowNew.png

This is the old version (which will not work beginning with the upcoming Paint.NET 3.30):

DShadowOld.png

At the moment I have to QFT this:

Ooh so il take 3.22 again because i need drop shadow :)

(...) as the large majority of us are using the old version due to its more drop shadow like effect and color wheel. (...)

Well, the icon is more colorful.

For the coding part, this may be recommended reading:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23064

why do you need the colour wheel it uses the primary colour??!!

section8.png

psn id: R3V-fiR3

Because to change the primary color you have to exit the plugin, find the color you want, then go back into the effects menu and start the plugin again. And over-and-over until you get the exact shade that you want.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

:roll:

First I had no idea how to deal with that post.

Pyro answered it. Basically.

I will not comment on it further.

I still don't know if this issue should not be submitted to Anonymous.

KrisVDM, I respect the new widening control, but this thing could also be added to the old version.

And I never said something about speed. :?:

Maybe we should do a little brainstorming how most of the old version can be saved.

What I have to do is to do a sreenrecording showing the old version in action.

Maybe I should just not update PDN, because the Fragment Blur is nothing "new" and the expanded PNG-support... Well, we have the OptiPNG plugin.

PS: Is anyone interested do do a new Drop Shadow?

Maybe... someone.. who... got... an... award...

There are many people here that have the skill to do this, BUT... Fisherman's Friend, no one is going to want to step on Kris' toes. So, your best bet is to wait for Rick to make a Color chooser IndirectUI enhancement or if Kris wants to do the similar thing to pyrochild's outline object plugin.

PS: Is anyone interested do do a new Drop Shadow?

Maybe... someone.. who... got... an... award...

Outline Object can already do ~90% of what the Drop Shadow plugin can.

The settings do require a bit more tweaking, though, to get a good result.

And rewriting someone else's plugin would be rather rude to the original author, I think. Else I'd... have done it... by now... (Not Drop Shadow, though)

no one is going to want to step on Kris' toes.
Yeah! Exactly what I was trying to say, only better.

xZYt6wl.png

KrisVDM, I respect the new widening control, but this thing could also be added to the old version.
Well, that's just the thing, it couldn't, not in a clean way anyway. (For you plug-in dev's out there: when widening and blur are used together, I effectively need an intermediate surface, and I need it in a way that scales and is thread-safe. My framework gives me that.) And the widening for the drop shadow is what started this entire thing for me: somebody asked me for it, and I just wanted to do it.

But hey: Rick is "looking into" adding color picker support for effects (for dev's: a color property in IndirectUI). When that happens, you'll have an update for the Drop Shadow (and others) with a color picker within days. I promise.

Kris.

So are you now planning to implement the colour choosing feature when 3.30 stable build is developed?

Considering he's the one who finally convinced Rick that a color-chooser was a must....

xZYt6wl.png

So are you now planning to implement the colour choosing feature when 3.30 stable build is developed?

Considering he's the one who finally convinced Rick that a color-chooser was a must....

Pyrochild, man, today im missing the obvious and your stating it.

And thanks KrisVDM: Im going to still wait for a stable build

omExTE6.png

And thanks KrisVDM: Im going to still wait for a stable build
It's pretty stable. Give it a shot, if it doesn't work out you can alway uninstall and go back to the latest non-beta release.

Its not that its not stable, its that many plugins are in-compatible, so i rather wait. Infact i already downloaded it earlier, and went straight back...

omExTE6.png