Image Umbrella: Realistic Images

david.atwell

Ishi - Excellent work! - we are encouraged to give 'constructive critism', but I can't see any obvious mistakes and all the separate elements  work well - so I'll just say well done and wish you a happy new year.

The Mystical Burrito - great user-name!
You have matched up the angle of the text with the background very well. Possibly some subtle shading at the base of the trailed letters would help the text sit more naturally on the background? - But generally very impressive!

I made this entirely with Pdn - experimenting with Furblur to make the sea (quite easy) - Sometimes looking at things for too long skews my judgement - does the sea look at all convincing?
And yes, it's meant to be bleak and grey - inspired by the stormy U.K. weather!

http://i.imgur.com/xAbaKSR.png

• Upvote 3

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Red, a fabulous image! Very real. Definitely convincing! At first I thought it was a photomanip. I love the way the rays come down too & the bright spot.

Thank you also for taking the time to write up the tute. :D

Looking forward to seeing the ship Welshy.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

• 2 weeks later...

hudhud.png

Hopefully this isn't too big - a HUD from an alien telescope of the Earth...what are they planning to do? For the earth I found two images of a daytime and a night-time and used the translucency gradient to mix them together, but I had trouble keeping the lights while making it dark still. Never mind, still has a nice effect I think. Better watch out for 2019 then eh?

• Upvote 2

signature.png

:cookie-chocolate: I baked another one...

• 2 weeks later...

MikeRobe, a very polished outcome! I like the Aero type text boxes & the way you have done the connectors. 

Welshy, the sky is amazing & the whole feel is like it says on the label - Ominous :D Those rocks look wicked!

• Upvote 2
THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If the light from the light pole is casting the shadow of the guy then the shadow needs to go the other direction. It also would not cast a shadow of the pole below the light but would be more of a dark circle around the pole.   ;)

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

If the light from the light pole is casting the shadow of the guy then the shadow needs to go the other direction. It also would not cast a shadow of the pole below the light but would be more of a dark circle around the pole.   ;)

Agreed with skull on both those points. The light source is always something important to consider when wanting to add realism or highlighting the right things in a pic.

As far as all the elements painted onto the brick wall I'd say you did pretty well. When considering basic techniques for this layer blend modes and transparency will be two of your best friends. Being and intermediate user myself I will point out two things in this regards though:

1) The image of saturn in the top right seems to have its original backdrop still apparent meaning we can still see a coloured rectangle around it. Things that could be done to improve this could be:

• Using a different layer blend mode
  • Using the magic wand tool to try and cut out the background
  • Using the "Cut Color" plugin to possibly remove the background color (a different take on magic wand's indispensable capabilities)

2) The image/object over the word "knowledge" is very hard to make out and unless it's meant to be something abstract it creates a distraction. Honestly, my closest guess is kanji but otherwise I'm lost.

Also, the boy on the left has various degrees of texture which don't necessarily compliment each other quite well. For instance, the hat, vest and sneaker are all devoid of any real "pop" while the pants, hoodie and face seem more textured and layered.

It gives the first three elements a sort of drawn-on feel. Also, considering the general lighting on the image, they stand out a bit too much. Darkening them a couple tones might do the trick.

My general advice to sum it all up would be that when making a collage of different images, is imperative to make sure they all work well together. The lighthing, realism and proportions must all be taken into account.

If art is in your soul then you'll keep reading suggestions/tutorials in this forum, find the optimal use for your plugins and ultimately produce beautiful art. Cheers friend B)

SigSpec2.png

• 4 weeks later...

@wow64

Haha, awesome

Let's see, ones I can recognize are: Random Shape Fill, Bars, Polygons (or Polygons/Stars), MandelBrot Fractal, Grid/Checkerboard Maker, and a very clever use of Random Maze Fill in the sphere.

No doubt I'm missing a few but at a glance those are the ones that popped for me. The sheer amount of plugins aside, there is a nice artistic direction in your wallpaper, something perhaps reminiscent of Alice In Wonderland of The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.

Good job B)

Edited by Spectre

SigSpec2.png

Very nice outcome. Trippy but cool. Love the use of colour & great sig too.

Probably should be under the "abstract" umbrella rather than "realistic".

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

• 4 weeks later...

Eye3_zpsc8974c38.pngMy attempt at making a realistic eye.

I would like to emphasise attempt.

Check out my gallery/archive: here

Just keep on keeping on. ✌

• 3 weeks later...

This is my 3D Globe. I used pdnnoob's tutorial "3D extrusion from sphere". Notice the polar caps.

3DEarth_zps9dad2980.jpg

Edited by WarpdriveGrafix

22e613f5-121b-4709-b6a8-14997ebd8cd5_zps

This is my effort using Redochre's tutorial for a seascape using Furblur plugin.

5ebf94e1-e888-462c-b9e4-768159ccb57c_zps

Edited by WarpdriveGrafix
  • Upvote 4

22e613f5-121b-4709-b6a8-14997ebd8cd5_zps