Image Umbrella: Interfaces

david.atwell

I really like it! Not a fan of the large "Thumb Up" and "Comment" icons but aside from those, really great job!

If you know CSS, you could try to create that with the Stylish extension :P

Yea, some other people said to make a userscript for fb with it.

Sucks that I suck though.

• 2 years later...

I've spent the afternoon whipping up a batch of new icons for work....

New icons in extended toolbar.png

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

I've spent the afternoon whipping up a batch of new icons for work....

New icons in extended toolbar.png

EER, at a glance, I thought that the third icon was a "man with one leg" but then I saw a hand "showing a finger" :mrred:

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Eli said:

EER, at a glance, I thought that the third icon was a "man with one leg" but then I saw a hand "showing a finger" :mrred:

LOL, I didn't see the hand.

I think it's supposed to be a guy with a briefcase, no?

• Upvote 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

I saw it as a gloved hand pointing down wearing an orange wristwatch. :D

EDIT: I'm just fooling around.  My guess as to function is (left-to-right):

Employee info, Schedule, Disability, Job, Search, Supervisor info, Branch office?/Subordinate Info?, and Close/Cancel.

• Upvote 2

I've never understand this mania of people to replace the written message with icons.
It's something that should give pause to all.
Where would humanity be in 200 years? We will know it to write? We will return it to the hieroglyphs (hieroicons)?
What a pity that technology has an impact so negatively on human nature!
When I say that I'm not trying to criticize anyone, but I believe that icons should still be avoided whenever possible.
However, I don't think today is someone who can imagine a program with a toolbar without icons.
In this age of computers, tablets, smartphones etc. we began to appreciate the icons rather than written message.
Many of our grandparents looked at these icons as signs of extraterrestrial.
They easily recognize a text message in whatever language is written and can translate using dictionary, but these icons are incomprehensible to them.

No doubt I exaggerated a bit, but I think we should be a little more careful when using icons even when tooltips text is attached.
HOW ABOUT COPY AND PASTE TOOLTIPS function? We can then use Google Translate easily.

• Upvote 1

The shapes are very good:trophy: but the tones of the colours are very close, particularly the blue and grey.
Might be worth increasing the contrast for those with less than perfect colour vision?
The down arrows could be mistaken for ticks...
and the one-legged man needs a parrot and a pirate hat!:lol:

I'm just kidding. My guess:
member of staff, appointment time, patient, transport, site (sight pun?), no clue about the tree, box and colour coding.

I have sympathy with xod's view but I know you always write very clear instructions.;)

• Upvote 1

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

20 hours ago, Eli said:

Man with one leg - correct.

20 hours ago, BoltBait said:

My guess as to function is (left-to-right):

Employee info, Schedule, Disability, Job, Search, Supervisor info, Branch office?/Subordinate Info?, and Close/Cancel.

9 hours ago, Red ochre said:

I'm just kidding. My guess:

member of staff, appointment time, patient, transport, site (sight pun?), no clue about the tree, box and colour coding.

You guys are good. Very good.

The Blue backed icons: New Patient, New Appointment, New Amputation, New Job

The Green backed icons: Search, Load Patient (into tree view)

The Grey backed icons (from top down) Drop current item from tree, Drop all patients, drop all jobs, drop all stock items

The Orange backed icon: Tidy tree (close all open nodes)

....and that leaves the Purple exit :)

@xod - Icons translate well beyond spoken/written language. Everyone gets a little image to have meaning (if it has been carefully designed). Its not new; ancient Romans had a word for it: sigillatus. Without any hint or introduction, people here saw the third icon as an amputation/disability. Perfect. If I had written "Amputation" what would a native German or French speaker make of the word?

@Red ochre - The colors are preset and there are only five of them. They are brand colors so I have to use what contrasts I have.

Second point about icons - They not only convey meaning - they're easy to hit on a tablet and much much smaller than the text equivalent.

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...
  • toe_head2001 unpinned this topic