New Pictorium - We'd like your input

Crazy Man Dan

Ask, and ye shall receive. Seek, and ye shall find. But don't knock it until you've tried it. :wink:

After re-discussing the proposal to make a new PictoriBoard, we've come to a consensus - We may as well at least give it a shot, right? There's room for improvement in our current method, and, though a forum will never be as good as a dedicated service such as deviantART, we'd like to facilitate you guys as much as we can. dA is nice (deviantART, david.atwell, whichever... :P ), but sometimes PDN users just want to post for other PDN users. So, I'm happy to announce that we're currently in the planning stages for creating a new Pictorium.

That being said, we want to plan this ahead of time so it can start working smoothly as soon as possible. To that end, we'd like your input as to how you think it should be laid out. After all, you're the ones who are going to be using it. I will post below what our current thoughts are, then open the floor to all you user-types to make comments, suggestions, and cookies. Any and every user is welcomed and encouraged to add their voice to the discussion - it doesn't matter if you have 3 posts or if you're usedHONDA ( :wink: ), your input is valuable.

This is the current thought as to how the new Pictorium will function:

The Pictorium would become it's own board under the Paint.NET Discussion banner of topics, titled, of course, "The Pictorium". It would have established threads in it resembling the following structure:

Board - The Pictorium

• [*:3e85fx4l][a][l] Galleria - This thread would be an announcement thread which would serve as a gallery of the best of the best. It would be locked to user posting so as to keep it a true gallery, and would be managed by one of our mods who would handle adding new images.
    [*:3e85fx4l][a][l] Pictorium Guidelines - These would be the Rules of the Pictorium, providing information as to appropriate and inappropriate content, thread creation guidelines, and established category directions.
    [*:3e85fx4l] Galleria Discussion - This thread would be the user discussion thread for the Galleria. In this thread, users would comment on Galleria images and nominate images for our moderator to add the Galleria.
    [*:3e85fx4l] The Image Hospital - This would be the thread to post image questions. If you're stuck, can't choose the right font, or need desperate color scheme assistance, take your image to the Hospital.
    [*:3e85fx4l] Image Umbrella - (Multiple categories) - There would be multiple stickied threads, each relating to a particular art style. These threads would serve as umbrella threads for that class of image. Possible styles include, but are not limited to: Realism, Surrealism, Abstract, Image Modification, Interfaces, Desktop Art, and Sigs and Avatars.

[a] = announcement

= sticky

[l] = locked

In addition to the stickied image style threads, users would be allowed to create their own threads for their own images (not limited in number, but please, be reasonable :roll: ), but none would be stickied. For maximum exposure, users could cross-post images in their own threads and in the appropriate style category.

Also, if the need should arise, a thread to discuss Pictorium Suggestions could be opened - for example, if a user thinks a new type of image category is needed.

So, that's the current thought direction. Now, we want it to be organized so it runs smoothly, but we don't want to organize it to death. As such, I now open the floor to you for your suggestions. See something in that plan that will spell disaster? Point it out. Have suggestions as to which image styles should have dedicated threads? Post 'em. Any questions, comments, criticisms, or cookies are welcome. We're here to serve, and we want to make sure we're letting you: Have It Your Way. :wink:

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

My one concern would be that the galleria would become overrun with PdN poserz; touting non-PdN works as being "made in Paint.NET" just because they ran the glow effect on it.

Some type of regulation or check system would need to be in place to ensure that this doesn't happen. Maybe requiring the *.pdn be uploaded in order for images to be considered for entry in the gallery.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

But then again, how would you inspect said .pdn file? Or is just uploading it enough?

But then again, how would you inspect said .pdn file? Or is just uploading it enough?
that is what moderators are for (well, not entirely :P ) oh and just being curious, will this forum be made in forumer again? or mabye an ipb/ipbfree? To be honest i find ipb/ipbfree smooth to work with

will this forum be made in forumer again? or mabye an ipb/ipbfree? To be honest i find ipb/ipbfree smooth to work with

We are talking about creating a new discussion forum within this Paint.NET board. (You know, on the same level as General Discussions & Questions, or Tutorials, or Plugins, etc.)

My one concern would be that the galleria would become overrun with PdN poserz; touting non-PdN works as being "made in Paint.NET" just because they ran the glow effect on it.

Some type of regulation or check system would need to be in place to ensure that this doesn't happen. Maybe requiring the *.pdn be uploaded in order for images to be considered for entry in the gallery.

Very ture, I agree it should be made ONLY using PDN.

However, not everybody wants to show the PDN file.

It's something that needs looking into.

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

I got it! If Ash says "Hmm... How can I do that...?" Then we know for sure that it wasn't made with Paint.NET. :wink:

I love the suggested topics so far. Image Hospital makes me laugh. :lol:

My suggestion to control over-posting would be to limit it to 5-6 unique threads per user per week.

Or whatever's flexible enough.

I don't think any of us want to see a dozen threads for 30 second images. (By the same person)

You covered it with the 'be reasonable' tag at the end. So maybe we won't even need to worry about it. :D

@barkbark00: Why should the galleria be overrun by posers when it's locked? And the threads should be limited like "one user - one thread". The thing with the PDN files is no solution. As they can't be viewed within the browser, it'd be required to download them. Concerning that the community is growing, I have no imagination who would do the checking in two years.

However, it can't go on the way it is.

I got it! If Ash says "Hmm... How can I do that...?" Then we know for sure that it wasn't made with Paint.NET. :wink:

I love the suggested topics so far. Image Hospital makes me laugh. :lol:

My suggestion to control over-posting would be to limit it to 5-6 unique threads per user per week.

Or whatever's flexible enough.

I don't think any of us want to see a dozen threads for 30 second images. (By the same person)

You covered it with the 'be reasonable' tag at the end. So maybe we won't even need to worry about it. :D

LOL :lol: More like when Ash says "That's impossible!!OMG" :D

Anyways...

How can you think users will control themself when some don't even read the rules or follow it??

We can do like the PDNfan forum does. Make a thread with your own name, and alway post you work in that one thread. and not 1 image/thread..

We can do like the PDNfan forum does. Make a thread with your own name, and alway post you work in that one thread. and not 1 image/thread..

Yeah, that's exactly the way I suggested. If someone breaks the rule just delete the new thread.

@barkbark00: Why should the galleria be overrun by posers when it's locked? And the threads should be limited like "one user - one thread". The thing with the PDN files is no solution. As they can't be viewed within the browser, it'd be required to download them. Concerning that the community is growing, I have no imagination who would do the checking in two years.

However, it can't go on the way it is.

My point was that without effective moderation (wow, that sounds like a shot! :lol:) crafty individuals could attempt at passing non-PdN works off as viable contenders for "Gallerization"*. I my example, these "PdN Poserz" would be posting stuff that, if it were made in PdN, would be worthy of being bumped to the Galleria.

*Galleria'd doesn't sound as good... :D

I haven't been here in any capacity or duration, (officially anyways), to issue complaint or grievance ... and it's doubtful I would post anything ...

But I certainly do enjoy and find high entertainment in viewing what others can do. Seems to be a pragmatic change, considering the application, membership and medium.

It says "good business modelling" to me.

mastzg2.png

100% paint.net

One sad attempt at a sig, but it's all about the intellectual property rights anyways.

I think there should a restriction on the amount of threads a person can post there, everywhere bar the discussion thread, though, just so people don't spam a lot.

Anyways, I like the idea.

If we said that you were allowed to necro-post in the Pictorium section then people would only ever need to create one thread. I think the 1 thread per person rule should be implemented, this would help stop spamming.

dA

Son, someday you will make a girl happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you & be with men that are ten times

better than you can imagine. These men are called musicians. :D

If we said that you were allowed to necro-post in the Pictorium section then people would only ever need to create one thread. I think the 1 thread per person rule should be implemented, this would help stop spamming.
Agreed.

Maybe requiring the *.pdn be uploaded in order for images to be considered for entry in the gallery.

What stops someone opening their otherway created image in Paint.NET and saving it as a PDN file?

KaHuc.png

I think there should a restriction on the amount of threads a person can post there, everywhere bar the discussion thread, though, just so people don't spam a lot.

I agree, I thought the idea of seperate threads per image is so that people can easily comment on them. With the discussion thread - you won't be able to post images and so people will have to follow a cross-reference to see the image being commented on.

KaHuc.png

Agreed.

I thought that's what I said? :?

Maybe requiring the *.pdn be uploaded in order for images to be considered for entry in the gallery.
What stops someone opening their otherway created image in Paint.NET and saving it as a PDN file?
It's not just that you have a *.pdn, but rather the file contents that will go a long way toward proving that the image was created in Paint.NET(e.g., layers intact, blending modes used...). This is all assuming that the member's "Made in Paint.NET" assertion is questioned.

It's not just that you have a *.pdn, but rather the file contents that will go a long way toward proving that the image was created in Paint.NET(e.g., layers intact, blending modes used...). This is all assuming that the member's "Made in Paint.NET" assertion is questioned.

There can be a tad problem asking for PDN's for some images though, say one of mine has, lets see....50 odd layers between 2 PDN files.

Although that was an exceptetion.

Anyways, I like that idea. If it's just one layer, well.....It probably isn't deserving of being in there in the first place anyways :)

There can be a tad problem asking for PDN's for some images though, say one of mine has, lets see....50 odd layers between 2 PDN files.

Obviously after the mods look at it they will upload a png or something.

KaHuc.png

Couple things:

1. I like it. :)

2. Possibly have a "100% PDN" category...or an "Edited Photo" category...? There's issues with that, but... :?

3. I like the idea of each user having a thread to show off their stuff. That way if I only care about pictures that Madjik creates, I not only don't have to sort through five billion other posts, but I'm also notified when he posts something. :D

4. It may be difficult for a new person to gain exposure...the av/sig combo would be come critically important. It would encourage people to look at their pictorium thread.