downloading plugin problem

blazing_angels

each time i try to install/download a plugin i always get a popup that says "the image type is not recognized, and cannot be opened"

can someone plz tell me why?

thanks,

blaze.

What's about the other stuff? It would maybe helpful when you make a screenshot of your effects folder and show it to us.

See each of those icons with a file cabinet in a vice? Right-click on those (one at a time) and choose "Extract to here..." in the context menu that appears.

You see, those files are compressed and Paint.NET can not read compressed files. By choosing "Extract..." you are uncompressing them. This should result in more DLL files in your Effects folder.

Be sure to "unblock" each file, if necessary.

You MUST un-zip the dlls from the ZIP files. You need to follow the instructions at http://boltbait.googlepages.com/install more closely.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Actually, David, I do not address unzipping files in my instructions because I do not compress my dll files.

Oops. I didn't know. I must've missed that part. :-) It's been a while since I read the page...

Oh, and blazing_angels - your sig is over limit because it's over limit. BoltBait's suggestion is correct - you'll need to use Image>Resize or Image>Canvas Size to shrink it down to 500x150.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the first post on the first page. I'm using Windows Vista and have the same problem. For the dll files, I save then and place them in the effects folder. I then get to the point where I can choose unblock for the plugins I download yet it doesn't work. I either get the error message saying that the image type isn't recognized and can't be opened, or nothing happens. For the plugins that aren't dll, I saved them, extracted them and went to the file types folder, since that is where the non-dll plugins go, according to some of the tutorials on plugin installation. None of the plugins I've tried actually appear. Help :?:

I agree with the post below.
Wow! Psychic much? ;-)
I'm using Windows Vista and have the same problem. For the dll files, I save then and place them in the effects folder. I then get to the point where I can choose unblock for the plugins I download yet it doesn't work. I either get the error message saying that the image type isn't recognized and can't be opened. For the plugins that aren't dll, I saved them, extracted them and when to the file types folder, since that is where the non-dll plugins go, according to some of the tutorials on plugin installation. None of the plugins I've tried actually appear. Help:?:
There are no plugins that aren't dlls. If they're ZIP files, you'll need to remove the DLL from the ZIP and place that in the effects folder. And if you're getting an error saying that the image type isn't recognized, it means you're trying to open the DLL with Paint.NET. Don't do that. Just put it there, leave it, and restart Paint.NET.

Try looking at http://boltbait.googlepages.com/install for more detailed instructions.

I've extracted the plugins that needed to be and then I put them where the tutorials say to do, and it still doesn't do anything. Sometimes I'll go to the effects folder and it will say there are no contents in the folder, but when I download, there are. I'll still try what you said first though.

What version of Paint.NET are you running?

What plugins are you trying to add?