Possible to make pic bigger without loosing sharpness?

I know a way. But it dosen't work on a lot images (I think black and white works best)

How to:

Open the picture

(I took this tribal pic)

0855682754413196256f71b.jpg

Resize (yes, it is blured now)

----If the borders of the object aren't smooth do a gaussian blur with needed amount----

Now switch to Curves and do something like this

curvesmv0.png

The result should look like this

tigergrossfu3.th.png

I'd have to say no.

Every time you try to expand the size of an image than the image becomes more blurry.

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

As I mention in the post Myrddin referenced, you can try copying the image in Inkscape. It makes the image scalable without quality loss. But it'll be manual, and it'll take a while. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

No, seriously, it's not possible no matter how much money you spend. Not even Adobe Photoshop can do what you're asking. It's quite simply impossible - it would require the program to make up pixels that don't exist.

It's like flying at speeds faster than light. It's just beyond the realm of possibility right now. Not just for Paint.NET - for every program humanity has ever created. If you increase the size of the image, the quality of the image will decrease.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

You could also vectorize every single pixel in the drawing, but that'd require a vector program which supports all RGB/CMYK colors. They're not there yet though. We need more programmers...

You could also vectorize every single pixel in the drawing, but that'd require a vector program which supports all RGB/CMYK colors. They're not there yet though. We need more programmers...

You'd end up with each pixel being represented as an actual square. Resizing that would be the same as resizing in a raster program using 'Nearest Neighbor'...

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

You'd end up with each pixel being represented as an actual square. Resizing that would be the same as resizing in a raster program using 'Nearest Neighbor'...

Exactly right. You'd need a program that could extrapolate directions, angles, etc. based upon pixels overall...

Exactly right. You'd need a program that could extrapolate directions, angles, etc. based upon pixels overall...

The thing is, you'd have to set it up for every possibility. Every one. And really, is it worth the trouble? It would be like making a space rocket. A space rocket which could fly to the Sun and land there. Basically, it is physically impossible, it is technically impossible and it is mentally impossible. If not.....damn, I haven't got a hat.... :)

Yep. Until we can do this, there is a workaround: take better pictures. :-)

You could also vectorize every single pixel in the drawing, but that'd require a vector program ...

While it isn't perfect, there is a free online vectorization tool that works well for some image types:

http://vectormagic.stanford.edu/

Hmm...I'm going to have to take a look at that, but it looks pretty good. Thank you for the link!