New rule -- Do not bite newbies

Rick Brewster

See rule 27 in The Rules, viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3446

Also see here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:BITE

This is in response to some complaints I've received that the forum is "overly hostile to newcomers."

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Awww...but it will help to improve the community.

What about:

The principle "Ignorantia juris non excusat" (Latin for: "ignorance of the law does not excuse") is incompatible with the policy of not biting and guideline of assuming good faith. If you prosecute and judge people because they are ignorant of our policies and guidelines, you are in fact violating our policies and guidelines!
Any exceptions there? The rules are a "must read".
BWLinesSignature.png

your right Rick ,

in stead of attacking them and laughing at them

we need to help them

WHATZ.png

wear our signature and earn 50 studiocredits. pm me your username if you want to participate.

What a wonderful new rule! Should reduce markedly the condescending cutting remarks of some more experienced users towards the newbies.

Was very impressed by Madjik's attitude of helping new programmers rather than just pointing out their programming errors. Hope more of the veteran users adopt his mindset.

I'm glad this rule has been implemented. the past few months on this forum have really been awful. Almost made me pull out of the program completely. there are several people I was tempted to ask a mod to bann because of their cutting and always negative remarks.

I'm happy once again Rick,

so in the new year I'll be back to the program 100%.

take care have a great Christmas

OMA (german for grandmother .... and yes Rick I'm old enough to be your granny! )

Just remember this doesn't remove newcomers' liability to read the rules :)

I unfortunately am one of those people who don't read all the rules, and sometimes am sidetracked and may accidentally hijack a thread. Fortunately I was politely reminded that I was going off topic and was back again. However, I saw a little bashing myself because someone wasn't happy with a tutorial, or at least the excuse of why it may not be the best. It had screenshots, was very descriptive, and was done by an 11 year old.(Not that impressive on this forum, I guess.) But, I guess from "proud imbusale" slogan some are carrying, there are some noobs that give the rest of us a bad name (I'm saying the one calling others an imbusale is a bad noob). Did I just fall off my train of thought again? Sorry, old age or the fact I work with 2 year olds all day long! :roll:

"Imbusale" was a rather amusing moment Wither had on Myspace. :-) It has little to do with PdN. I find it very funny.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

"Imbusale" was a rather amusing moment Wither had on Myspace. :-) It has little to do with PdN. I find it very funny.
Sorry, I assumed that it had to do with an angry noob. After Pyrochild's thoughts on a "pitcher" (which I found to be very funny), I thought it had to do with a noob quote on the forum.

I applaud this new rule however; I am still saddened that there are those that have to be reminded that common decency should prevail without the need for clarification by rules. Nevertheless, perhaps we can now get back to the goal of stimulating the unhindered creativity of veterans and new users alike. Thank you Rick for addressing this issue.

RTSig004.jpg

PDNUsebar001.jpg

"Rule 9) Be courteous to others. Constructive criticism is generally welcome and encouraged. Starting fights and being rude is not."

Constructive criticism does not include abuse.

Tact \tâkt\ n

Acute sensitivity to what is proper and appropriate in dealing with others, including the ability to speak or act without offending.

RollingTreasures:

When this sort of thing happens, it happens subconsciously for the majority of the time. When you're around a certain group which know certain things by heart, you have a bad reaction when people don't know those things.

Its just something that some peopled need to be reminded about in order to keep it in check.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

[ dA Paint.NET Chat :: Yata on dA ]

After Pyrochild's thoughts on a "pitcher" (which I found to be very funny)...

I remember that! It was fun :)

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

I'm a newbie and got "bashed" yesterday after posting a question in the General area about a tutorial. I was told to post back in the tut area (and it was suggested I get my thread deleted) but, after reading your rules you don't want general chatter in the tut area. What's a newbie to do? I'm now confused. :mrgreen:

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

You should post a question about a specific tutorial in the thread created for that tutorial. GD&Q is for questions about Paint.NET and effects in general.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Anytime! Glad to help.