How do I resize an image without it being blurry or pixel...

Paint Boy

How do I resize an image without it being blurry or pixelated?

I have tried making it bigger and sharpening it... but that doesn't help and resizing it using nearest blurring it doesn't help. Surface blur, median nothing makes it look better. Someone showed me a 1400 x 1400 album cover of Blackbird and it was crystal clear so I know it's possible.

47306796ff8.png

Sure, but only because it was created at that size, or it was created as a vector image.

An image is made up of pixels, and when you resize, Paint.NET has to make up more pixels to fill the empty spaces resizing creates. So it does one of several different methods, depending on what you choose. But it can't guess at what you want - it has to make a calculation based upon what it has. And that very rarely looks good.

So, sorry. Increasing an image size without losing image quality isn't, in fact, possible. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

That's probably the original 300dpi image sent to the printer for the printing. It definitely wasn't resized up from a smaller image.

Look at some of the detail. Some of the dots are even smaller than one pixel. If it were resized up, they wouldn't be there.

EDIT: He could've just scanned the original from the album cover...

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

You're welcome. Glad to help. :-)

• 1 year later...

Does anyone still have that 1480*1500 Blackbird cover ?

i've been looking for it for a very long time.

If you do have a time, please send me a pm or answer this thread.

Thank you.