Light Rays

xalexx543x

Hi, Im looking for how to make light rays for my church cross.

I figured everything out and modeled the cross with dots (where the light rays are).

I can do this - but I just need to know how. Ive done it on Radial Blur but thats not what Im looking for (its bending the ray)

If anyone can help it would be great

this is where I am now...

Someone please help

Thanks!

11950921ie2.th.png

You could always try the Light Rays Plugin by MadJik.

You can adjust length, ratio of one ray to the other, gradient, centre position, anti-alias, etc., and all that can be done in a selection of your choice.

Would this make it easier for you?

The example effect can be accomplished quite easily with that plugin:

- Your desired ray colour as a fully opaque (Alpha-255) Primary colour, and a fully transparent colour as your Secondary;

- With the plugin, set the centre, use an Alpha Gradient (not swapped), set ratio and length as need be (in actual fact, the example you have shown doesn't even use an Alpha Gradient, so that may be missed out if you so desire);

- with the eraser, simply rid the picture of a few rays;

- set a lower layer opacity.

Done and dusted.

th_westminsterabbey-1.png

[Click to enlarge]

You can see where this was going. As a quick example some fine tuning is required, though adjusting the settings and experimenting should take care of all your needs.

However, if the plugin truly isn't what you are after, then try this:

- Draw two lines where the two edges of the rays will be;

- With the Paintbrush, fill the space between the lines. I would not advise using the Magic Wand solely for filling in as using the Wand can leave unsightly, small, pixel-wide gaps around the edges and can unprofessionalise your work, especially for something as official. Perhaps you could combine the two: use the Wand for larger areas then follow up with the fine-finishing from the Paintbrush.

Hold on while a create an example of this last method...

th_raysexample-1.png

[Click to enlarge]

Mass edit: updated pictures, reworded some phrases.

Thanks...but one thing... im really confused! lol

Can you make it any simpler? Like explain it better, Im lost.

And today if you could cause Its for this Sunday's church service.

Thanks A Bunch!

I actually made this (the example I showed you) but I forget how I did it! :-(

sparckscrosswoolg7.th.png

Well, the gradient part is easy:

Radial Gradient, black as primary colour, fully transparent colour as your secondary then draw as you desire.

For the light rays (all on its own layer):

- Set your primary colour to the colour you wish your rays to be, the secondary fully transparent. You only need one set of rays to show on the picture.

- Using the Light Rays plugin, position the centre from where you want your rays to emanate from; for example, top left, bottom right, dead centre, etc., and for a more custom/precise location you can use the 'Centre [X/Y] % Offset' sliders. X = horizontal plane, left or right, Y = vertical plane, up or down.

• You can at this point set how long you wish your rays to be, in this case anything which extends beyond the canvas will be fine. Also set the number of rays and the ratio of one colour ray to the other, for the example I gave I used 16 rays at a ratio of approximately 0 to -20. This is something which is dependant on the image and what looks right.
    To recreate the example you gave there is no need to use any of the other options avaiable to you, with the exception of maybe the 'Swap colors' for obvious reasons.

- Once happy with the settings and finalised with the click of OK, you can then use the eraser to remove some of the rays. To match your example I erased the top and bottom rays, but once again this is dependant on image, desired affect and whether you actually want to do this or not.

- Finally, lower the layer opacity; I believe mine was something quite low, around 40 to 100. Again this is dependable.

EDIT: an example of the settings, and its result:

4114_f738620864139074747a7560b33d3881

==============================================

I have only given instructions for the use of the plugin as it is a much more efficient and polished means than doing it manually. If, however, you do want directions for the manual way, by all means ask.

Hope this helps.

Exactly right. For adjusting the transparency of a colour, 0 = fully transparent, 255 = fully opaque.

As for layer opacity, if you double click on the respective layer (or press F4) a small dialog appears, there you will see a slider and, much like colour transparency, the closer to zero you reach the more 'see-through' the layer will become.

Nice font by the way.

Thanks

its windsong

-from dafonts.com

-I think I got this now.

Thank you!

Im using it to put over my church's cross for this Sunday's serman.

thanks!!