How to Install Plugins ×

OptiPNG file type plugin (November 30, 2008)

I Like Pi

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Can someone help me figure out why this plugin is not showing up? I unzipped it to my desktop then initially dropped it in the "Effects" folder. I reread the thread and saw that it needed to be in the "File Types" folder and when I tried to delete it I got a message stating that I cannot delete it: access is denied. So I went ahead and dropped the dll and exe in the File Types folder anyway and restarted PDN. I don't see anything. I have a few other plugins installed ok so I'm not sure why this one is giving me issues.

Any troubleshooting advice would be great.

It should show in the filetype dropdown menu of the Save As... dialogue.

That's what I thought, but nothing is there. Could it have something to do with the error message I got when trying to delete it (see my orig post)? Did I do it correctly by placing the exe and dll in the "file types" folder?

Yes. The exe and dll go in the "file types" folder.

If Paint.NET was open when you installed these, close and re-open it.

• 1 year later...

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm having the same problem with OptiPNG. I downloaded and extracted the files, put the exe file in the File types folder of Paint.Net, but there is no DLL file in the download and nothing happens. I assume that I should see an option under Save As...., but there is no change.

I really have searched everywhere for an answer first.

The only reason I can think of for this is in the post above yours.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Yes, I've closed and opened Paint.net several times and downloaded and extracted several times. I downloaded from SourceForge and the OptiPNG site and neither download file has a DLL file in it.

Compiled DLL:

OptiPNG plugin.zip

Both the DLL and optipng.exe need to be in the FileTypes directory.

Did you try downloading the attachment in the original post and did you put BOTH files in the downloaded zip into the filetypes directory?

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Did you try downloading the attachment in the original post and did you put BOTH files in the downloaded zip into the filetypes directory?

What attachment in what original post? Do you mean an earlier version of the plug-in? I didn't think that I should download a 2007-2008 file since the program was updated in 2011 and the older versions are no longer supported.

As I keep repeating, there IS NO DLL file in the download, so obviously, I can not put something I don't have anywhere.

Edited by LaGringa

First post in this thread - second link, where it says "Complied DLL".

The link downloads a ZIP file with the compiled DLL in it AND the OptiPNG application.

Follow the instructions in that post.

You will never find your DLL file then. As I am now starting to repeat, download the attachment because that is where the files you need reside.

First post in this thread - second link, where it says "Complied DLL".

The link downloads a ZIP file with the compiled DLL in it AND the OptiPNG application.

Follow the instructions in that post.

Thank you and thank you for your patience.

I saw a message on this forum saying that installation of the plug-ins was not intuitive. I hope you all can appreciate how exactly counter-intuitive it is to download a current zip file but to have to go back through 5 pages of a 4-year-old thread and copy a 2007 DLL file to go with it. While there were several text files in the zip file (and I read them all), there was no read me file, no instructions saying where or how to find the DLL or that it was okay to use the 2007 file or even that it was needed.

Hopefully these last messages will help the next person who comes along, but I'm really perplexed why the download file wouldn't include everything that is needed to use the plug-in or a bit of instructions on how to install it. Maybe even where to find it after it is installed.

Just a suggestion -- but thank you for your help. My problem is solved. ;-)

I think you may have originally downloaded from the first link. I'm glad we managed to sort it out for you.

This forum works on the general principle that a plugin is released in it's own thread. So the first post is always the place to look for the download (when you follow a link to a thread, it generally defaults to the first post - so that's where most users find stuff they are looking for).

When updates are posted for a plugin, we find it best to replace the download in the first post - rather than bury the update in the middle of the thread. This keeps ONE download relevant.

Don't worry - you'll get used to how we work here! boltbait.big_smile.png

• 1 month later...

Perhaps it should be updated to OptiPNG 0.6.5, as versions 0.6.2 (& below) have unpatched security vulnerabilities:

• All past OptiPNG versions, up to and including version 0.6.2, are known to be vulnerable to use-after-free attacks, due to a bug in the GIF image reader. (Many thanks to Roy Tam for the report, and to Bryan McQuade for the fix.)
  • OptiPNG versions 0.6 and 0.6.1 are known to be vulnerable to array-overflow attacks, due to a bug in the BMP image reader. (Many thanks to an anonymous user for the report.)

0.6.5 was release 2011-01-24.

• 2 months later...

It should show in the filetype dropdown menu of the Save As... dialogue.

I just got the plugin and could not figure out where it showed up so finding this answer was great, Thanks.

• 4 months later...

When I tried to unzip with 7zip it gave errors for both files.

Using default windows cut/paste out of the archive seemed to work fine :/

Tested and seems to save an image fine though.

Edited by angelp1ay

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps it should be updated to OptiPNG 0.6.5, as versions 0.6.2 (& below) have unpatched security vulnerabilities:

• All past OptiPNG versions, up to and including version 0.6.2, are known to be vulnerable to use-after-free attacks, due to a bug in the GIF image reader. (Many thanks to Roy Tam for the report, and to Bryan McQuade for the fix.)
  • OptiPNG versions 0.6 and 0.6.1 are known to be vulnerable to array-overflow attacks, due to a bug in the BMP image reader. (Many thanks to an anonymous user for the report.)

0.6.5 was release 2011-01-24.

It looks like support for this plugin is dead. The OptiPNG project itself does provide Win32 builds (no Win64, sadly--would probably be a lot faster). I'm using their pseudo-nightly build (from the Mercurial repo, presumably more recent code than 0.7.1), and it appears to work correctly as a drop-in replacement for the included optipng.exe. 0.7.1 fixes not just security flaws, but an actual image corruption bug for grayscale images.

It would be really nice to see OptiPNG included (stand-alone download if necessary) as an official plugin for PDN, preferably in 64-bit native. libjpeg-turbo wouldn't hurt, either...

• 4 months later...
  • toe_head2001 locked this topic