How to Install Plugins ×

Gradient Mapping

pyrochild

:UnsavedChangesSave:Download from my plugin set :UnsavedChangesSave:

btn_donate_SM.gif

Tutorial by forum moderator David Atwell: The Wonderful World of Gradient Mapping

Get some nice gradients here: Presets for Gradient Mapping by ReMake

Gradient-Mapping-1.png

This adjustment appears in the Adjustments menu. Amazing!

Adjustments > Gradient Mapping

Use this plugin to create a custom gradient and map it to your image based on any supported input channel. One of the primary uses of this plugin is to create a multi-colored gradient. Just use Paint.NET's built-in gradient tools to draw the gradient shape you want, then use this plugin to create your desired gradient.

gmex2.jpggmex.jpg

:UnsavedChangesSave:Download from my plugin set :UnsavedChangesSave:

btn_donate_SM.gif

For developers: Gradient Mapping is on GitHub! https://github.com/bsneeze/pdn-gradientmapping

Edited by Pixey
rehosted first image
  • Upvote 2

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Rock ON! :-) The locomotive that is Pyrochild just keeps chuggin' along...

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

It kept crashing on me the first time I tried it. So I decided to reinstall it. Second time around I noticed that there was two dll's. Once I installed both of them it worked perfectly. I could be totally wrong though with what I'm swinging at. For all I know you are having troubles getting a gradient made.

eatapeachhp5.png

What is the 'pyrochild.effects.common.dll'?

Anyway, I really like how this works! And I think it is great that you are including a Save and Load option with your latest plugins!

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

This'll be really useful for making fake heat index maps (among other things)! Great job!

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

Anyway, I really like how this works! And I think it is great that you are including a Save and Load option with your latest plugins!

The "common" dll is something he plans to use to make coding his upcoming plugins faster. Unless I'm wrong, it contains the code for things such as the save, load, UI, etc.

Where's the strikethrough when you need it? I was wrong. Pyro explains below. (made hard to read on purpose)

I can't realy figure out how it works... :?

could someone help?

First of all, take a look at the Source drop-down. When you select that, you're choosing which channel to pull the mapping data onto: each pixel has varying levels of Red, Cyan, Luminosity, etc. It takes that value from each pixel and "maps" it across the gradient you create at the top so that a pixel with more Luminosity in it, for example, will get more of the color you've chosen on the far right.

That's what I understand, at least. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I was right, I was right! Do a little dance...make a little noise...get down tonight... :-) :-)

It wont show on my list...

Did you look in the Adjustments menu? That's where it is, not in Effects. :-) Other than that, make sure you've installed both .DLLs.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

It wont show on my list...

It's under the Adjustments menu

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

The "common" dll is something he plans to use to make coding his upcoming plugins faster. Unless I'm wrong, it contains the code for things such as the save, load, UI, etc.

Nope, the common.dll contains the Gradient control that I wrote, as well as the associated gradient object that the control pulls the information from. It also contains a Color object that I wrote to more easily and efficiently load each channel of data from a pixel. I plan on using that last one whenever I get around to working on the next version of Curves+. It will clean up the code immensely.

I can't realy figure out how it works... :?

could someone help?

First of all, take a look at the Source drop-down. When you select that, you're choosing which channel to pull the mapping data onto: each pixel has varying levels of Red, Cyan, Luminosity, etc. It takes that value from each pixel and "maps" it across the gradient you create at the top so that a pixel with more Luminosity in it, for example, will get more of the color you've chosen on the far right.

That's what I understand, at least. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

That one you got right ;)

xZYt6wl.png

Edited my post. One out of two ain't bad... :-)

Pyro, you are an amazing little train. :D

Awesome plugin. I love the custom gradient bar. I hope one day to see something pretty much identical tied to Paint.NET's Gradient tool.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Awesome plugin. I love the custom gradient bar. I hope one day to see something pretty much identical tied to Paint.NET's Gradient tool.

Actually, because of the way I wrote that gradient control, it would be ridiculously easy to do exactly that. Hint hint, Rick... ;)

xZYt6wl.png

Well, we'd need that, then the ability for the gradient tool to output the gradient shown, and a mechanism to save different gradients once they're created to make a pre-saved gradient palette... :wink:

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype