How to Install Plugins ×

Shadow / Highlight Recovery v2.2 (2008-12-24)

Tanel

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, notice the name of the plugin, Shadow / highlight recovery.

dA

Son, someday you will make a girl happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you & be with men that are ten times

better than you can imagine. These men are called musicians. :D

Yes, I was just noticing that.

It doesn't do a great job of fixing an over-bright area (like the sky, or a sun reflection on something). Perhaps it is just my source images that I've been using for testing.

The shadow recovery, on the other hand, works like a charm.

Yes, I was just noticing that.

It doesn't do a great job of fixing an over-bright area (like the sky, or a sun reflection on something). Perhaps it is just my source images that I've been using for testing.

The shadow recovery, on the other hand, works like a charm.

The plugin actually works equally for both shadows and highlights (you can test it on b/w gradient). You are just facing the major curse of digital photography - highlight clipping due to low dynamic range. There is simply nothing to restore once the pixel brightness reaches level 255 (and it does very easily). I bet that's the case with your tested photos.

On the other hand shadows save far more detail before clipping to zero, that's why it is much easier to recover.

The issue is nicely explained here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/fixing- ... -range.htm

Using the word”recovers” often refers to something that disappoints you in the end.

But this is one of those miracle plug ins that actually works. Thanks for making and sharing it.

Great shot BoltBait.

My DA: http://leif-j.deviantart.com/

--------------

Some people seek justice so persistent, that they will do great injustice themselves.

Hi everyone! I agree this is an awesome plugin, similar to the one I use in HP photo printing, just more detailed. The only problem I have run into is that it takes forever to render the changes I make with it. Are my computer settings off (more virtual ram needed, not pressing the review button correctly, etc.) or is this due to the way the plugin was coded (I think I read in another thread a plugin took too long to render due to the source code). Any advice would be helpful. Thanks! :D

I am using a Dell 4400, pentium 4 processor, 1.7ghz, 256 ram, nvidia geforce 2 graphics card.

Nice pic, BoltBait!

I'm definately loving the beginner mode. 8)

it does most of the job for me too.

Hi everyone! I agree this is an awesome plugin, similar to the one I use in HP photo printing, just more detailed. The only problem I have run into is that it takes forever to render the changes I make with it. Are my computer settings off (more virtual ram needed, not pressing the review button correctly, etc.) or is this due to the way the plugin was coded (I think I read in another thread a plugin took too long to render due to the source code). Any advice would be helpful. Thanks! :D

I am using a Dell 4400, pentium 4 processor, 1.7ghz, 256 ram, nvidia geforce 2 graphics card.

Yes, this plugin is heavy on resources, due to Gaussian blur being part of the algorithm (@ radius 12 in Basic mode).

In my PC it takes few sec to render 800x600 image, but about 30 sec for 6MP image (1.73GHz, 504MB RAM).

More RAM should speed up any photo editing remarkably. Graphics card doesn't matter as effect computing goes on in CPU+RAM only.

For faster workflow you could use a resized copy (or small selection) of your image to find suitable settings, run the effect once to load settings into memory, then open original image and run the effect with just OK-ing the presets.

I would really like to implement fast blur instead of Gaussian but haven't found good chance to do it. I wish there would be Fast Blur effect built in PDN, then we could call it from plugins with just 1 line of code.

Thanks Tanel! I had previously tried selecting an area of a picture, and did notice that it rendered quicker. I ran jpeg clean to shrink the file size and didn't change the speed at which it rendered. I think it ran quicker when I pressed review and then adjusted my image. And I figured my lack of ram was the problem. I guess I'll have to stop being so cheap and buy more ram! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I cant put it into the effects folder :? I have parental controls so i need prmission. after i get permission it asks again. then i cant put it in the folder.

moving%20sig.gif

I cant put it into the effects folder :? I have parental controls so i need prmission. after i get permission it asks again. then i cant put it in the folder.

Well, that isn't PDN's or the plug-in's font. The only way you can really do it is by getting prilidges like that off your adminstrator.