Slow, Not Responding.

Recently my Paint.net has been vVERY slow and not repsonding after opening multiple pictures. When I go to take a screen cap of my computer screen (then paste it into paint.net) it will not respond upon saving.

Its HIGHLY annoying cause I can't get anything done. Someone please help or let me know what I need to do to fix this.

Thanks!

I have a Windows XP Media Center

That doesn't mean much. That's like saying that your car has leather seats. We want to know the engine size, the horsepower, the type of gas you're putting in. That is to say, we want to know what your RAM size is, your processor speed, etc.

Also, "It Wasn't A Problem Before" suggests that you might have a virus or spyware. Have you checked that recently?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

To see your RAM, right click on My Computer and select Properties. Under the General tab, the one open by default, read the listings under the third heading, "Computer:". The amount of RAM should be right after the first comma.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I have a Windows XP Media Center

That doesn't mean much. That's like saying that your car has leather seats. We want to know the engine size, the horsepower, the type of gas you're putting in. That is to say, we want to know what your RAM size is, your processor speed, etc.

Also, "It Wasn't A Problem Before" suggests that you might have a virus or spyware. Have you checked that recently?

Agreed. Virus or spyware is always a logical choice. Also did you install any new programs recently, especially ones that run in the background(ex: how many icons do you have in the corner of your task bar)?

EDIT: Also how long have you had your computer? 6months-1 year or longer? After 6 months or more of adding new programs and other things your computer will suddenly "slow down" for "no reason". It happens all the time, normaly to people who don't fully understand that they are adding background programs, filling up the desktop, not cleaning old and temp files, not defragmenting, etc. If there is more then one user on your computer then this problem gets magnifyed by the number of users. (if a whole family is using one computer then it will get "bogged down" faster).

Just looking at the info you gave your computer should be able to easily handle PDN with multiple images open. My suggestion then would be the following:

1. Run a virus and trojan check

2. Clean out all adware

3. Remove programs from the taskbar that you don't use, or at least close them.

4. Remove old programs you no longer use (add/remove programs app)

5. Remove everything from your desktop, unless you use it all the time

6. Clean up the start menue (remove stuff you don't use)

7. Delete your .temp files (in the Temp folder C:\WINDOWS\Temp)

8. Run disk defragmentor. (do it overnight since it will take awhile)

9. Periodically restart your comp (every few days or after program installs)

Hope this helps

sunsigub8.png

Ram is good at 2GB for XP but the CPU is low. I would not even go with 2.0 Ghz unless it dual core. Thing is there a lot of things that can bog down a system.

One thing is the bigger the pic's the more they need so opening a lot of really big pic's (file size) could be 1 problem.

You may have download a lot of font and everyone knows that to many fonts make Paint.NET lag for a bit.

You may have spyware or virus.

Maybe you need a good defrag on your hard drives.

Maybe something else is running in the background.

There just to many things it could be with your computer but one thing is for sure, it not Paint.NET from the looks of it. If you can open one image and save it then Paint.NET is working fine.

Also how long have you had your computer? 6months-1 year or longer?

January but it was restored once since then in May

1. Run a virus and trojan check

Just did it... nothing

2. Clean out all adware

Im not very computer lingo... whats this?

3. Remove programs from the taskbar that you don't use, or at least close them.

None that are on there

4. Remove old programs you no longer use (add/remove programs app)

5. Remove everything from your desktop, unless you use it all the time

6. Clean up the start menue (remove stuff you don't use)

Ok, Check

7. Delete your .temp files (in the Temp folder C:\WINDOWS\Temp)

8. Run disk defragmentor. (do it overnight since it will take awhile)

How do I do this?

9. Periodically restart your comp (every few days or after program installs)

-I already do

Hope this helps

For the adware/spyware, try using Spybot-Search and Destroy. It's free, and you can download it from http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/ . Try this and see if your machine speeds up.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

To defrag your disk-

start>Run...>dfrg.msc>Defragment; just wait for it to finish.

Also, do a spyware/ adware scan with this:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/ like david metioned.

Also, click start>Run...>msconfig>Starup

and you can basically uncheck anything that is not realated to Virus, or Malware protection, although you may want to google something before disabling it (you can always renable it).

Also, try this guide, it will help you suck some more performance out of your computer, and you will learn a lot. link