Pen tool like in Gimp?

chris2fer

Hello,

Is there a Pen tool like in Gimp that selletects stuff while making the like around it, Its much easier than any other way of sellecting so I wanted to know if there was one and if there is could I have the link? if not I thought I read somewhere that people can make plugins but im not sure cause Im new here so I might be wrong but if not could someone try to make one?

ps. if this is in the wrong place sry ive only been on these forums for 2 days now

fireysigjs6.png

Yes, people can make plugins but they can't be written as tools, only effects. No, you're not in the wrong place and no, I'm not a user of The GIMP so I'm not the best person to help. Having said that though, couldn't the Lasso Select Tool (:LassoTool:) do the task you want?

Hello,

Is there a Pen tool like in Gimp that selletects stuff while making the like around it, Its much easier than any other way of sellecting so I wanted to know if there was one and if there is could I have the link?

Nope, there is no Pen tool in PdN. What most of us do is use the line/curve tool to "draw" the selection and then use the Magic Wand (tolerance may vary) to actually "select" the desired area...

Here is a Tutorial that covers this exact process:

http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=4841

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

well I read that TUT and its almost what I wanted but the GIMP is a pen tool that every time you click it makes a new "mark" (the little circles) and you never have to add another line it just keeps going, it also dosent use the majic wand tool it just does the sellecting by itself so you dont have to worry about all the tolorance and stuff (which drives me nuts)

fireysigjs6.png

Yeah there isn't a pen tool, what they suggested is a work around to do it. But I think we may have a pen tool in a future release. Well at least I requested it before.

well I read that TUT and its almost what I wanted but the GIMP is a pen tool that every time you click it makes a new "mark" (the little circles) and you never have to add another line it just keeps going, it also dosent use the majic wand tool it just does the sellecting by itself so you dont have to worry about all the tolorance and stuff (which drives me nuts)

...couldn't the Lasso Select Tool (:LassoTool:) do the task you want?

This is the nearest (if exact tool) you will get to such a feature. You use it just like Pencil or Paintbrush and have complete freedom to draw the desired shape for selection.

Eh, the Lasso is freeform, yes, but the advantage to a Pen tool a la GIMP / PhotoShop is editability.

You can use it like a polygonal lasso, clicking around and defining points, or you can use click and drag to give the node tangent handles that make the line curve. You can edit the handle length and angle to change the curves to fit exactly the shape you want.

I know I've requested something like this in the past. I'm don't think Rick has ever said one way or the other whether he'd be interested in including this. Even if he were, though, it'd not be for a while. Version 4.0 is going to be a major overhaul of the canvas rendering behavior and brush infrastructure, so Rick has his plate plenty full as it is.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype