How to Install Plugins ×

Outline Object

I actually dislike this whole typing stuff.

Well it defaults to your primary color, so if you set that first, you don't have to type anything...

Then was there any point in adding the typing stuff in?

Would you rather have to close the plugin, tweak the color, go back into the effects menu and run the plugin again, on those occasions when you don't know exactly what color you want to use?

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Bugged on me. When I typed in Help, it outlined the object in black. I pressed enter after the help page loaded up and it stayed there. It's a minor bug, but still pretty weird. :o

How is that a bug? "Help" is not a color, so what else is it supposed to do? Outline in magenta?

:roll:

Then why would it outline in black? :?

Would you rather have to close the plugin, tweak the color, go back into the effects menu and run the plugin again, on those occasions when you don't know exactly what color you want to use?

Wow! Not to sound rude, but this plugin seemed pretty straightforward to me. You type in the color you like, which doesn't require you figuring the color code, and outline. I guess I've sold myself short again :lol:

Bugged on me. When I typed in Help, it outlined the object in black. I pressed enter after the help page loaded up and it stayed there. It's a minor bug, but still pretty weird. :o

How is that a bug? "Help" is not a color, so what else is it supposed to do? Outline in magenta?

:roll:

Then why would it outline in black? :?

Because that's the default for Paint.NET's ColorBgra class. I don't see what the big deal here is. If you enter something that's not a color, obviously, the plugin has to use some sort of default. You sure complain a lot about something that has been given to you, completely free of charge. Sure, you can let me know about bugs. But this is not a bug, nor is it an annoyance. This is a completely trivial matter that you, for reasons unknown to me, continue to argue about.

Plugins can't read your mind; if you want it to use a specific color, tell it what color to use.

You say you entered "help" in the box, and then hit Enter. Why would you do that? That's like filling out a job application, only instead of putting your last name, you put the quadratic formula, and submit that. It's incomplete. Nobody is going to know what to do with it.

Wow! Not to sound rude, but this plugin seemed pretty straightforward to me. You type in the color you like, which doesn't require you figuring the color code, and outline. I guess I've sold myself short again :lol:
Indeed it is pretty straightforward. Apparently, too straightforward for some people... Some of them seem not to like how easy it is to change the color. They seem to prefer torturing themselves. Bloody masochists. Well, I'm glad that at least you seem to like it. :D

xZYt6wl.png

Actually....yes.

Because even still if you want to type in the hex code you'll have to close the plugin to find it, and then re-open it to put it in, unless you know the hex code colour chart.

Because even still if you want to type in the hex code you'll have to close the plugin to find it, and then re-open it to put it in, unless you know the hex code colour chart.

It's pretty simple, really, once you know the trick. :-) To add more red, increase the first pair of digits; for more green, the second pair; for more blue, the third pair. The two-digit pair is in base-16, so to increase a number, you have to run through A-F as well.

Hex  Dec
0    0
1    1
2    2
3    3
4    4
5    5
6    6
7    7
8    8
9    9
A    10
B    11
C    12
D    13
E    14
F    15
10   16
11   17
9F   159
A0   160
A1   161
FE   254
FF   255

So, not too hard. Just increase or decrease it until you get the color you like. to DARKEN a color, drop all of the values down (closer to 0). To BRIGHTEN a color, increase all values (closer to F). You have 16.7 Million colors to choose from - don't screw it up! :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Actually....yes.

A) Nobody's forcing you to use the text box. It's just an extra option, not something you have to use.

B) It doesn't only support hex codes. If you'd actually take a look, you'll see that it'll take the English names of most of the colors you can think of.

xZYt6wl.png

Nobody's forcing you to use the text box.

Sorry, but I have issues with it. It forces.

With white as primary color, I use the plugin. Then, I change my primary color to red (for example) and access the plugin again - it renders a white outline and I have to type

primary 

to change it to red.

Proof.png

This is especially nasty when you use the repeat effect item.

At least the word "primary" is too long when you have no IM-fingers which can type in the speed of light. "P" / "S" would be enough.

And as an optional color selector, the one of Gradient Mapping would do the job much better. And that would be much more user friendly (one of the things Paint.NET is about, I think).

I never noticed that! I think it is a good idea to have the colory set as "Primary" when you type it in so that it checks the primary color every time the effect is repeated instead of replicating the Primary color and using its code (I think that is what it is doing when I scanned through the src)

signature.png

Calm down... I'm not complaining, to be honest I don't care, I just figured I'd tell you.

I'm not planning on checking on the reply, so don't bother.

Sorry if I came across as rude. Yesterday just wasn't a good day for me, I guess.

At least the word "primary" is too long when you have no IM-fingers which can type in the speed of light. "P" / "S" would be enough.

Reasonable. Added for next release. And the new default will be "primary."
And as an optional color selector, the one of Gradient Mapping would do the job much better. And that would be much more user friendly (one of the things Paint.NET is about, I think).

Won't work.

xZYt6wl.png

• 2 weeks later...
Can we have an option to treat transparent pixels as completely opaque? That way when working with transparent options the outline plugin wont add the selected color to the background of the transparent pixels.

What would you use that for?

xZYt6wl.png

Well, right now I am making some conceptual designs for a sig. On one layer I have normal text with a dropshadow. On a second layer I have the same text without the drop shadow, except it has been slightly zoomed in on. I then adjusted the overall transparency using BoltBait's plugin to about %60. Now I want to create a fully opaque black outline, which neither Outline Object nor Drop Shadow does allow.

signature.png

Alright, here are the screenshots:

This is the original. I have used text that is fully Opaque, and then used BoltBait's transparency adjustement plugin:

Original.png

Next is using BoltBait's suggested method. As you can see, transparency is lost:

BoltBaitOutline.png

Ctrl+Z and then I use Pyro's Outline plugin on normal settings. Once again, opaque:

PyrochildOutline.png

Ctrl+Z and now I will use Dropshadow. These are best results, but there is a loss in transparency:

DropShadow.png

signature.png

OK, I think I have a solution for you.

First you'll need to download a few plugins if you don't have them already.

Starting with your initial partially transparent text, try this:

Run my Alpha to Grayscale plugin. Save as alphamask.png.

Undo.

Run pyrochild's outline plugin.

Run illnab2048's Alpha Mask Import plugin. Use the "mix alpha" check box.

This will give you something close to what you want. Now you'll just need to do this process again (from the beginning) and tinker with your transparency level of the original text.