• Mr Frojo's

The first Monthly Skinning competition has ended. The result is:

First place: Helio

Second place: usedHONDA

Third place: Mr Frojo

Honorable mention: Stephan

Congratulations, everyone!

Edit by CMD: UnSticky'd 'cuz it's done

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

The first Monthly Skinning competition has ended. The result is:

First place: Helio

Second place: usedHONDA

Third place: Mr Frojo

Honorable mention: Stephan

Congratulations, everyone!

Edit by CMD: UnSticky'd 'cuz it's done

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like I'm second.

th_blue-aura.png

No stock imagery was used, excepting Paint.NET icons from the source code.

I claim 3rd!

Click the screenshot to view another version that points out some key features:

MSC_1__Paint_NET_CS3_Mashup_by_usedHONDA.png

Go to the DeviantArt deviation page to view the screenshot without any text on it:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/57905718/

Some info:

This theme was inspired by and pretty much built upon Photoshop CS3. I took 3 screenshots I found on Google Images and was simply replacing the icons, but somehow, I ended up doing more than that.

The layers window is very minimalist. You can right-click on a layer to view the usual commands. Oh, and the layers are drag-n-drop enabled (wishful thinking).

I'm extreemly satisfied with my work on the cursor. It took 15 minutes to make from scratch and has a good deal of alpha values to make it translucent:

1cursor.png

One of my favorite parts of this project is the dock. Just like the cursor, it was made from scratch and is translucent. I find this to be something that can actually be implemented into Paint.NET and not cause too many problems. Here's the standalone Window Dock before some last sec. tweaking (click to view larger version):

th_1tooldock.png

The color window idea has been in my head for months and this was the perfect time to display it. As is many things I do, it's sleek, translucent, and most importantly, minimalist. Screenshot of the color and layer windows:

windows.png

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

Ok, heres mine:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w54/ ... Skin-1.png

Its much more compact than the original skin, taking up 100px high, and the width of the screen long. The main goal was to be compact, but still very functional. All of the menus default back to the bottom screen, so everything can be found at one place instead of all the windows in a different corner.

The colors and history tabs are pretty much the same, but with some small revisions to them. The tools tab has combined with the tools option, ussualy found underneath file, open, ect. It has also three more icons. Curves, levels, and brightness/contrast.

The history tab is a little larger than the original, but much more functional. The layers properties has been merged with the tab, so blending level, transparency, and layer name can all be changed on the tab.

This skin doesnt really change much, but makes pdn much more compact and makes things much easier and faster to get to. The window postitions are still similar, colors being in the left, layers in the right, so it wouldnt take much time of getting used to for somebody used to the original skin. Its got a kinda dark look, but with sleek silver windows.

I'm still alive!

Vote away!

I don't stand a chance. I made too much of a gamble creating everything from scratch... But, as Mario says: Always Next time!

That's ok! This competition is for fun and to increase design skill.

I voted usedHONDA!

Monthly Skinning Competition

My guess would be next month. :wink:

I'm quite sure of this, actually, since I'll be running the next MSC while Helio is away. Voting on this comp ends the 27th. Then we have the 27th through the 30th for choosing the theme for the next MSC, with the new comp opening the 1st of July.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Monthly Skinning Competition

My guess would be next month. :wink:

That does not make ANY sense at all, but since you'll probably be running it, i guess you're right ;)

Guys? It's over! We can crawl out of our hiding places, and crown Helio as our über 1337 pwnge winner :D You got more people's votes then all of us added up together! Congrats, you win, a new microwa... *gets whispered in the ear by assistent* Ehum... Hug!

Thanks everybody! ;)