Monthly Skinning Competition Discussion -- #4 ended

Helio

I voted for Google. I would however like to do getpaint.net more. I would do a complete makeover of the site. It would probably be 80% CSS and 20% of the origional website (and of course a lot of pdn work).

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

Are we making actual skins, or just replicating the results?

Although not fully skinable, you can customize the actual look of Paint.NET. Check out this PM I got from Rick some time ago:

Think anyone would be interested in a How-To for changing all the icons in Paint.NET?

Here's a quick example. Create a directory, C: / Program Files / Paint.NET / Resources / en-US

Place a a 16x16 PNG in there called Icons.MenuFileNewIcon.png -- put anything you want in it. A smiley face, whatever. Then, restart Paint.NET. Then note that it shows up for the "New" toolbar icon, and for the File->New item.

The How-To would basically include a ZIP file containing all the icons already set up in this naming scheme, so a user could just change the contents of the PNG's instead of hunting down all the right file names.

This isn't a new feature of Paint.NET, btw. This is just the way the resources system was written to accomodate globalization (translation) way back in v2.5 :) I was told on no uncertain terms that it must be possible to override every string and image resource for a translation.

This might be a good Paint.NET contest.

Although, I'd ask Rick for the starter pack of all the default icons... :D

Nice!

Although, I'd ask Rick for the starter pack of all the default icons... :D

Source code

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

Boltbait: That would be interesting, and very cool, but not part of this competition. In the upcoming contest-- since it looks like we'll be skinning PDN-- the competitor may skin and change the look of anything, icluding the icons. This may be achieved by replacing the icons as you (or actually Rick) mentioned, but the final result must be a screenshot. ;)

usedHONDA: Yeah, Google is a really good one, as is getpaint.net, maybe the next MSC?

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

I already have some ideas for the pdn contest, but I'm not too sure on how to implement them...

I have a skinning idea!

cotak5.jpg

I'm [50%] serious. I would like to see how somebody can customize a car in pdn.

I have a skinning idea!

cotak5.jpg

I'm [50%] serious. I would like to see how somebody can customize a car in pdn.

Same here... if I have time this w/e I'll give it a go too. Looks rather challanging to me :D

Juds_Fire_sig.png

100% PDN

Same here... if I have time this w/e I'll give it a go too. Looks rather challanging to me :D

Juds_Fire_sig.png

100% PDN

Ugh, my connection is going soooo slow, which means that I'll open the first MSC around noon. Sorry!

That sounds pretty fun, uH, but I think that Jake2K would win. :P

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

Ugh, my connection is going soooo slow, which means that I'll open the first MSC around noon. Sorry!

That sounds pretty fun, uH, but I think that Jake2K would win. :P

I probably will, knowing he has Photoshop.

Helio means that it will start at GMT 5:00 PM

I probably will, knowing he has Photoshop.

Helio means that it will start at GMT 5:00 PM

^Bingo

^Bingo

Man, i alarday stated my PDN entery, its not going so well... lol

(look at the scors) lol

EDIT:

Hm... I guess i'll slap some paint on there to begin...

paintcar1gs6.png

Man, i alarday stated my PDN entery, its not going so well... lol

(look at the scors) lol

EDIT:

Hm... I guess i'll slap some paint on there to begin...

paintcar1gs6.png

It becomes a real challenge because it's white, not green, but that's half the fun :P

It becomes a real challenge because it's white, not green, but that's half the fun :P