Color help!

Crazy Man Dan

To do that, you'll have to select the part you want to stay in color, either by using a combination of selection additions or by tracing around it with the Lasso tool. Once you have it traced, copy it (copy, not cut - you'll see why later), create a new layer, and paste it there. It should be pasted at the same coordinates as the source, so you shouldn't have to move it anywhere.

Once you've pasted the selection in the new layer, switch back to the original layer. Under the Layer -> Adjustments submenu, select the "Desaturate" option, and the background will turn greyscale, but the new layer with your pasted selection will stay in color.

The reason why you should copy in lieu of cutting is because you won't have to get the selection perfect the first time. If you cut the selection out, you've committed yourself. If you copy, you can make a wider selection, leaving an extra margin around the side of what you want to stay color to ensure you get it all, then use the eraser once it's in the new layer. Then, the greyscale image behind it will be shown, instead of a transparent area.

I hope that helps! If you have any more questions, just ask!

Dan, The Crazy Man

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype