How to Install Plugins ×

HD Photo plugin - BETA

Rick Brewster

• 4 weeks later...
To display my own work.

E.g. as my sig.

I recommend not to do that as there are much better file types for image sharing.

I do recommend, either .jpg, or .png, or (but only for animation) .gif. There is also a png that supports animation but don't use that one.

As Rick Brewster said:

Un-sticky'd. I'm not convinced anyone actually uses HD Photo (Paint.NET or otherwise).

There is also a png that supports animation but don't use that one.

Why not? It's supported in all modern web browsers but IE, and in unsupported browsers it'll still display the first frame.

As for the HD Photo thing - well, in all actuality, HD Photo is just a curiosity at this point. Since most consumer-grade cameras can't shoot at a high enough DPI to make it worthwhile, and most professionals with enough money to buy a high-MP camera have the money to be able to purchase a more expensive graphics package, having support for HD Photo would be fairly pointless in a free package.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 4 months later...

New to Paint.net. INstalled and downloaded the HD Plugin. I loaded a standard JPG from my camera. Tried to save as HD photo and I get an unspecified error. I have .NET 1,2,& 3.5 installed. WinXP Media Center SP3.

Also your Plugin doesn't support 48bit or 64 bit. Would be nice.

As for the HD Photo thing - well, in all actuality, HD Photo is just a curiosity at this point.
This format has been approved by the Joint Photo Experts Group and will be incorporated as JPEG XR. As pointed out earlier, the format has nothing to do with 'hidef' or even really large megapixel images. From what I have read at the JPEG website, it has more feature like embedded ICC profiles, multiple images per file and better compression with better image.

• 1 month later...

Yes it's an approved format and has lots of smart and official people giving it the thumbs up, etc. etc. blah blah blah.

I have yet to see anyone using it for anything real. Regular JPEG has simply won by being good enough and completely prevalent. If I want to send a picture to a friend, I send them a JPEG. I don't send them an HD Photo / JPEG XR image and say "oh btw please install all these plugins so you can view it" or "btw make sure you're using XP SP3 or Vista or newer." Nope, I just send them a JPEG which works with everything. There isn't enough benefit from the new format to make any normal user switch over.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I have yet to see anyone using it for anything real.

I for one do.

HD Photo is at the moment the best choice when saving your file in Paint.NET - as long as you are on Vista or Seven. Combining - and improving - all the advantages of JPEG and PNG, including rich metadata, alpha and lossless mode, HD Photo does the job. One of the few things I looked forward to when I got Vista. JPEG is fail. Without options like GIMP, it produces crappy results even on "100", it has been discussed and shown on this forum.

I really don't get why I should spend hours and days on artwork and then save it as ruined file in a format which is actually out of date. OK, I could save as PNG - but can I tag the file? Can I rate it? Do I even see the author? Nope, at least not outside of Photo Gallery. Now I have an OS praised for all the indexing and search stuff, but the PNGs will not show up in my "4 and 5 stars" search folder. With HD Photo, it works. For real, there is no reason why I should save in the worse file format when I have HDP. HDPs need less space while featuring better quality and more possibilities than JPEG. It's just as saving in DOC when you have access to and make use of DOCX (Word 2007).

The only thing which matters is the compatibility issue, but I can convert them in seconds. And when Seven launches, many people who didn't want to upgrade from XP to Vista will move on Seven, then being able to view HDPs. Considering it is becoming JPEG XR, I guess all the rest is just a matter of years.

Nice job on HD Photo, Microsoft.

As a side note: You do not need SP3 in XP for HD Photo. You only need WIC, which is just ONE MB (see yourself) and is installed when you get Windows Live Photo Gallery with all it's features including panorama stitching and people tags. WL Gallery itself opens HDP, being WIC based.

As a side note: You do not need SP3 in XP for HD Photo.

Correct :) It's just easier to make sure someone has XP SP3 or Vista as opposed to "SP3 or WIC or .NET 3.0 or newer". Just ask them to right click My Computer, then properties, then check the version string.

Actually one of the reasons I never built this into Paint.NET was because I wanted to have "full" configuration options. The codec's configuration properties were sort of a rat's nest of "if X is true, then Y must be Z, and option M is disregarded", etc. But with IndirectUI that all is much much simpler -- I just set it all up with PropertyCollectionRules.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 4 months later...

I loaded the plugin and placed it in file types as instructed. I have done this many times and i will admit it takes a minute or so to find things. Now that said, I cannot find this anywhere, where should this file type appear, should it appear in effects or adjustment? What am I looking for? HDphoto? I know that each one is listed alphabetically but nothing with HDphoto.

This seems to be a very interesting plugin.

thank you

vent_truk.jpg

• 3 months later...

Would it be possible to change the plugin so that it doesn't discard all the metadata?

The point here is: The best use for HD Photo is saving edited Digital Camera pictures. Paint.NET includes a lot of effects for improving the quality of your photos, especially via plugins. Now, if I edit my photos I don't want to loose any quality when saving them. With JPEG, I usually save it in a way that the filesize becomes larger than the original, and still I'm not sure wether I loose quality.

With HD Photo, I think, you can keep the quaility and even reduce the filesize. Also, It has a lossless mode.

But when I use the plugin, all metadata is lost. :?

As Windows 7 supports HDP even more than Vista (for example in Media Center) I ask for an update and also encourage you to include it in Paint.NET. In 7 (and in Vista) it's supported in Windows Explorer, Windows (Live) Photo Gallery, Windows Photo Viewer, Media Center (7) and all WIC applications.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Because 4.0 will definitely have HD Photo built-in.

I can't wait to see that if it's still in the plans :) My opinion is JpegXR isn't supported because it's not supported (and yes, I know that sounds corny.) There's little ecosystem buildup because noone is taking the first step (until now with IE9.)

Kinda like the argument 'there're no 64 bit browsers because there're no 64 bit plugins' which wraps around to 'there're no 64 bit plugins because there're no 64 bit browsers' (except IE of course.)

Note I'm not trying to complain (your work is far above my expectations and I should donate soon,) just commenting on how things seem to go in the tech industry.

Edited by randomevent

It's not. Notice how I said that way back in 2007. It is not relevant anymore.

I wasn't going to hold you to it or anything, was just hoping. :) And yes, I did notice the date.

Ah well. But with it finally being a standard and getting further support, I'm sure things will happen sooner or later. :) I'm not in any particular rush.

Have fun man

• 9 months later...

I think Rick made his position clear:

It's not. Notice how I said that way back in 2007. It is not relevant anymore.

• 5 months later...

A more up-to-date version of this plug-in (actually a complete rewrite), including fixed and much improved metadata handling, is available here.