Old SOTW discussion thread *depricated*

jake2k

SOTW stands for "sig of the week" which is a competition open to everyone and anyone to make the best sig they can. It doesn't matter if your a "noob" or a "gfx master" because it's not about winning or losing its about learning new things and sharing your knowledge and skill with the up-and-coming graphic artist.

That being said,this topic is where we can discuss a suitable theme for the next SOTW competition aswell as give comments and suggestions on sigs currently entered into the contest (the actual contest thread will be only for posting entries then later,voting, not discussion. That way we can keep it clean and easy to view the submissions ;)

So if you got an idea for a theme throw it out there.

Edit by Rick: Replaced "SOTW" in title with "Sig-Of-The-Week"

Puteulanus___Jake2k_by_Club_PaintDotNET.png

^Click to visit my Flickr Gallery^

Time.

I'm sure there are a number of ways one could try to graphically represent an abstract idea, and I like to see inside people's minds like that. :wink:

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Like The Persistence of Memory by Salvador Dali? :P

Time is pretty good, I would suggest Wind. I think it would be very interesting to see the result of it.

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

well my idea for SOTW(since i do it) is to put for renders or sprites and ppl have to use any one of them and make it into a sig.

DANTEcopycopy-1.png

I'm all about thematic things. Easter would be cool, or is that "religiously intolerant"?...

I mean, you can do bunnies and colored eggs if you wanted to too I guess... LOL...

But seriously, I would like an Easter competition.

Also, I think that one would have to have a set of rules for a comp too. For instance, my use of anim8or for 3d graphics might or might not be a good idea (depending I guess on the guidelines).

Unless outside images are actually allowed?

Sage

When in doubt, Try it out.

greenandfire.png

I made this sig file using http://www.anim8or.com and making all of the textures with http://www.getpaint.net

I love freeware.

@BB 920 Paint3r: You usually don't provide any pics for a sotw, that would be more like a PMC (photo manipulation contest) where you would take a pic and alter it ;) .

I'm working on the rules already so once the theme is decided on i should be able to post up the competition thread. Also note that pretty much anything goes in a SOTW comp. For example: you can use pics found on the web, you can use whatever program you want,etc. (as long as it follows the theme and doesn't break any of the rules). The voting will be based on who ever came up with the nicest overall sig. But please, please don't plagiarize anyones art.

EDIT: Easter sounds like a cool theme, holidays are usually really fun themes.

oh wait, yea ur right. I was thinking of a different tourney...>_>

well its called freestyle, "SOTW #1- Freestyle".

This is when you just sumbit ur own made sig, all rules apply such as no ripping, sending msgs to vote, etc

DANTEcopycopy-1.png

I agree with Easter. I have a few interesting ideas, and I'd love to see an aatwo-style bunny (in tighty-whities, of course :wink:).

~ Becoming the Archetype

I think an Easter signature competition would be great! I would really like to see what all the clever people on this forum would come up with. :D

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

Easter sounds good to me! Actually, anything sounds good to me... there's nothing like a friendly contest to get those creative juices flowing.

BK_BloodSaw_sig.png

- DO NOT contact me asking for the .pdn of my avatar or the PDN logo. Thank you. Have a nice day.

Sounds good...I'll make an attempt to participate, even though there's no way I can compete. So how about some rules? I'm unfamiliar with these types of competitions, so someone will have to explain it to me... :?

All you do is make a sig that follows the theme and doesn't break any of the rules and have it posted in the contest thread before the deadline. If it breaks any of the rules or doesn't match up with the theme then your entry will be disqualified. Also there will only be one entry per person so make sure that your completely happy with your entry before you post it. The rules will be posted in the comp. thread.

How about something along the lines of horror/scary? It might be a good idea to give a specific size for the signature, date it has to be completed by? And put the competing signatures as a poll so everyone can vote :D

himstylesigxa8.png

I'm not too good with pink... :)

How about making a Vista-themed sig? As in make something that looks like the Aurora wallpaper/screensaver (click).

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

^ I would agree, but I think it should be after different brush shapes are released...

The first theme will be Easter, so I'll start the comp. thread later today with a complete list of rules and a deadline. I'm thinking 1 week is enough time to get things done.

You can still suggest themes for the next SOTW

I'll start the comp Mon. in case some people have stuff to do tomorrow ;)

Is that Rose Mcgowen?

:-)

This is kind of fun. I am way new to PDN, only a few weeks. But, It's amazing how easy it is to use.

Contests like this really gives you a way of comparing your own talents to others and seeing where you need improvement.

Sage

When in doubt, Try it out.

greenandfire.png

I made this sig file using http://www.anim8or.com and making all of the textures with http://www.getpaint.net

I love freeware.

Transferred posts from the submission topic:

Um... looks like a light-blue/purple rabbit.
lighting.

Alright guys, let's read stuff, eh? :wink:

The rules stated in the top post of the submission topic state:

***This thread is for posting your entries only, if you want to talk about one of the entries you can do so here.***

That "here" is this topic. If you'd like to reply to a specific post from the submission topic, press the "Quote" button of the post in the submission topic, copy the contents of the message box, click the Back button of your browser, enter the Theme Discussion thread, click the Post Reply button, and past the quoted stuff in that message box along with your reply.

~ Becoming the Archetype