Metallize -- Do Not Understand It

I have seen some very cool tutorials about making metallized pictures.

I've got the plugin installed.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't work for me.

I assume this means I don't understand the steps, but it's very frustrating.

I need to be able to do silver, iron, gold copper/bronze, and platinum. 

I've been tinkering with various gemstone tutorials and have some promising results. One of them showed some really neat rings that the gems could be set in... but no instructions on how to make the rings.

Others have no pictures, broken plugin links, or broken screen shot links. (I really hate the ones which have, instead of an image, Posted Picture, where I have to click on it, and then download the picture, and go back and forth and practically rewrite the tutorial to include the screeen shots.)

I genuinely wish tutorial writers, in addition to including the names and links to the plugins they use, wouldinclude Effects => Render => Etc. to show where a plugin is installed. That way, it is possible to check very quickly to see if one has already installed the dratted thing.

I did get an almost-bronze effect using Orange, Yellow, and Boltbait's Effects => Render => Flames, and then running another Boltbait item, Effects => Render = Shape3D. Unfortunately, I have no way to apply this texture / metal to anything else.

post-143238-0-26646300-1447914204_thumb.

Edited by Marilynx

Yes, Texture Shader does look neat. Complex. All the settings! And I have no earthly idea what any of them mean. Boltbait's FILL (from clipboard or file) is pretty neat. I think it's in his pack

I really like Pixey's Bling Text tutorial, even though that isn't quite the effect I am after. I'm sure I'll have a use for it at some point! (Thanks for pointing it out! I hadn't found it yet....)

That first tutorial looks interesting, but does specify it's not for newbies, which I emphatically still am. Still, I may give it a whirl. Worst I can do is loose what little sanity I possess.

This one I've already tried (having done a search of the Forum). Couldn't get it to work. It's possible that I confused some of the directions. This is a classic example of what I was talking about. No images available unless you jump through 16 hoops, DL each picture and then re-write the tutorial to include them. This one seemed as if it would be the closest to giving me metal effects, but I cannot get it to work.

On the Roughcast Metal one, Illnab1024's Plugins aren't compatible with PDN 4.x. I haven't yet found a newer version. Maybe I just overlooked it.

I think the diamond tutorial, although not the effect I am specifically looking for at this time, will have plenty of uses, so I thank you for pointing me to it.

I've moved that tutorial to the Graveyard due to the lack of images. If anyone wishing to revive the tut should post a new version in a new thread.

If you don't understand how to use a plugin - post in the plugin thread.

If you have issues with a tutorial, again please post in the tutorial thread. That way we can sort out these things as we go.

On the Roughcast Metal one, Illnab1024's Plugins aren't compatible with PDN 4.x. I haven't yet found a newer version. Maybe I just overlooked it.

The alpha mask plugin for that tutorial is outdated. The updated plugin is found here http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/1854-alpha-mask-import-plugin-20/

I've moved that tutorial to the Graveyard due to the lack of images. If anyone wishing to revive the tut should post a new version in a new thread.

If you don't understand how to use a plugin - post in the plugin thread.

If you have issues with a tutorial, again please post in the tutorial thread. That way we can sort out these things as we go.

Well, although I have been online since 1987, the software for this Forum is new to me. I haven't quite figured out how to FIND the posts I've made to threads other than ones that show in the main Forum, or which I have bookmarked. There doesn't appear to be -- or I haven't found it -- a way of being notified in a timely manner that there is a reply, and no "New to Me" listing. Nor can I find a list of my posts and click through to them to see any replies.

Of course, I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

Here is another tutorial for which the pictures (and apparently, most of the tutorial) have disappeared.

a way of being notified in a timely manner that there is a reply

Click the 'Follow this topic" button at the top of the thread.

Nor can I find a list of my posts

Click on your username at the very top and select " my content".

Hope that helps ;)

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Hi this doesn't seem to be working right. I'll try again.

This goes to Google Drive where you can download a screen clip of Welshblue's Metallic Text in a zip file.

This post isn't needed anymore thanks to EER getting the original tutorial up again.

Here is the link to it.

Link:http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/26860-glossy-metallic-text/

Edited by doughty

SloppySig.png

Click the 'Follow this topic" button at the top of the thread.

Click on your username at the very top and select " my content".

Hope that helps ;)

Thank you. Yes, it does! As I said, this software is different from others I have used. Just a matter of learning what's where. Things are a bit fancier these days than back in the old text-only CompuServe days!

Hi this doesn't seem to be working right. I'll try again.

This goes to Google Drive where you can download a screen clip of Welshblue's Metallic Text in a zip file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7GgB5-aM2B2aTNBOF9OTXVuMWM/view?usp=sharing

Hope this works. :D

Oh, thank you very much! I will play with that first thing in the morning! After I go vote!

Here is another tutorial for which the pictures (and apparently, most of the tutorial) have disappeared.

I've restored the images just for you Marilynx ;) I've asked Fuzzy for the PDF so that too can be attached.

I've restored the images just for you Marilynx ;) I've asked Fuzzy for the PDF so that too can be attached.

Oh, thank you SO much. I am really digging in and trying to learn how PDN works. There are a whole BUNCH of designs I have always wanted to create, but I am not, nominally, an artist, though I can design things. I'm generally more of a Wordsmith than a visual artist. So I am going through all the Tutuorials that might have any piece which resembles something I might use to make these, trying to learn HOW the appearance was created, and then seeing if I can adapt it to what I need.

The metallize plugin, I think it mostly just adjusts an image's brightness/contrast to attempt to give something a metallic appearance, similar to what you can do manually with the Curves Adjustment. The metallize plugin doesn't always work very well for everything though.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

That is what Metallize does. In fact, its icon is a curve like the kind used in Curves to create a metallic appearance. Seems like a convenient way to produce that sort of effect. If you take the GLOSS image just before the Curves adjustment is applied, and apply Metallize with the default angle and the type set to 1, you'll get a result that's similar to the Curves version,

EDIT: Just so I don't neglect to plug my own plugins, another way to produce that type of effect (assuming another way is needed) is to use Effects>Stylize>HSV Scrambler. Run it with all defaults, except the Value Scale set to a value greater then 1 (such as 4.5) and the Value Offset adjusted to move the highlights for the best appearance.

Edited by MJW

The metallize plugin, I think it mostly just adjusts an image's brightness/contrast to attempt to give something a metallic appearance, similar to what you can do manually with the Curves Adjustment. The metallize plugin doesn't always work very well for everything though.

Erm, well, I also don't understand Curves Adjustment yet, either. I can follow directions if a tutorial says "do this," but I don't understand the why of what I'm doing, in order to adapt it to other techniques.

That is what Metallize does. In fact, its icon is a curve like the kind used in Curves to create a metallic appearance. Seems like a convenient way to produce that sort of effect. If you take the GLOSS image just before the Curves adjustment is applied, and apply Metallize with the default angle and the type set to 1, you'll get a result that's similar to the Curves version,

EDIT: Just so I don't neglect to plug my own plugins, another way to produce that type of effect (assuming another way is needed) is to use Effects>Stylize>HSV Scrambler. Run it with all defaults, except the Value Scale set to a value greater then 1 (such as 4.5) and the Value Offset adjusted to move the highlights for the best appearance.

I am gonna have so freakin' many plugins it ain't even gonna be funny. I mean, I'm trying to remember to send a donation to the various pack makers (one per week) and I think I managed to send two to Bolt Bait. Which I'm sure he won't mind. But it means I can't send someone else a donation this week....

I am getting so I minimize PND next to a tutorial and sit there checking for if I have the plugins for it, then going and getting THAT pack or THIS pack, closing PND and installing, and then trying to figure out what menu everything is under!

I am gonna have so freakin' many plugins it ain't even gonna be funny. I mean, I'm trying to remember to send a donation to the various pack makers (one per week) and I think I managed to send two to Bolt Bait. Which I'm sure he won't mind. But it means I can't send someone else a donation this week....

I refunded your second donation. Feel free to pass it along to someone else. There are a lot of deserving plugin authors around here.

Also, thanks for the first donation! I really appreciate it.

• Upvote 2

I refunded your second donation. Feel free to pass it along to someone else. There are a lot of deserving plugin authors around here.

Also, thanks for the first donation! I really appreciate it.

Oh, okay... I knew I was using a number of yours, so that was the first one which went out. Then I had to go grab something I had missed and saw the donation link, and said, "Geeze... why don't I send it now!" And then when I went to print the receipt, I discovered I had already sent you one. Now I just need to make a list of all the people whose plugins I have DL and try to make sure that I get something to each of them as I have the $$$. I strongly believe in supporting deserving people -- and PDN and everyone who supports it is a project truly worthy of being supported.

I love this program. I can't learn it fast enough to suit me! There's so much I want to do with it!

• Upvote 1