Change the background step by step to a portrait

Carrito

Hello Carrito,

It is not difficult but It can be tricky around the hair line. Not because there is not a lot of hair but because the hair blends with the background.  :D

First add a new layer and trace a line as close as possible to the area you want to keep.

hairline-01-4d7601a.png

Once you have finished to outline the subject use the Magic wand tool and select the background of your subject.

Now, go to the layer with the subject you want to change the background and use the Replace Colors effect. You can choose the Affected color in this case the black background and you can choose a New color or make it transparent. Adjust the Tolerance as needed. 

hairline-02-4d7606a.png

hairline-4d75f78.png

hairline-03-4d7614a.png

Edited by Eli
  • Upvote 1

I don-t know how to do the steps.

I don-t know how to add a layer.

I need a tutorial step by step.

Sorry

:mtdew:

You'll need to read the documentation.

http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/LayersWindow.html

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/13796-cutting-out-images/

I had this information time ago. I use paint.net at least once a year and has no memory >

Change background photo

Now regarding your request, have a look at this tutorial and see if it helps you. Be warned, there is no one-click solution. You're going to have to spend some time to get a nice background removal.

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/13796-cutting-out-images/

Ego, thanks for that link, I know this technique well, but didnt know Ctrl+I to invert selection, thats gonna be my favorite new shortcut :) goes to show closely i look at menu options

Carrito, another less straightforward but possibly quicker way considering its a high quality image, is to create the same sortof template by increasing the contrast and color differences, then isolating everything else from the bike with magic wand alone. Doesnt matter if colors and details get distored, its only the outline shapes you need. Before you start, make a 2nd copy as new layer, and do the color/contrast alterations to one of them, so when youve magic wanded everything but the bike, can change layer view to the clean image and hit Copy.

You'll need to read the documentation.

http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/LayersWindow.html

Thanks a lot.

Drawing a line with the paintbrush tool will take you less than 2 minutes. It is easy when you zoom in. If you do not do it the Replace Colors effect will remove the little remaining hair as well as parts of the photographer's gray vest.

Using the Magic Wand tool and pressing delete will not do it even if you play with the tolerance.

Remember that there is a search enging and you can find other methods for background removing.

Edited by Eli

I'm REALLY bad at free-hand tracing, so I personally prefer using the line/curve tool :LineTool: to trace with. Try both the paintbrush and the line/curve tool and see what works best for you.

You might also be interested in these other ways to remove backgrounds: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/28305-mini-tuts/?p=409110

Here is the old beginners tutorial for tracing to remove backgrounds : https://www.isimonbrown.co.uk/cutting-out-images/

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Ufff I am almost here.

Now I know how to install a plugin.

I am making myself a mess with the plugin.

I don't understand the exact procedure with the magic wand and the plugin.

Sorry !!!!

A step by a step please !!!

Best Regards

hairline-04-4d7ba9e.png

Owww. Understood. I will repeat the draw of the line to put over the draw.

Hi. :)

If the plugin you are wanting to try is the Replace Color plugin, then it looks like Eli gave you good example of the plugin.

1) Once you have your subject outlined, get the Magic Wand Tool. While you are on the Outline Layer, click on the outside of your outline.

2) With your selection active, click on the layer that has your subject on it.

3) Go up to the menu bar > Effects > Color > Replace Color.

4) Look at the plugin's User Interface in Eli's example picture, make your plugins setting's and slider's match the picture's setting's and sliders.

hairline-02-4d7606a.png

Ver Imagen: http://s2.subirimagenes.com/privadas/previo/thump_2338890asus-18112015-2239.png

thump_2338890asus-18112015-2239.png

What can i do . I don't know how to do this.

And how can I put the forest ?

Hi. :)

If the plugin you are wanting to try is the Replace Color plugin, then it looks like Eli gave you good example of the plugin.

1) Once you have your subject outlined, get the Magic Wand Tool. While you are on the Outline Layer, click on the outside of your outline.

2) With your selection active, click on the layer that has your subject on it.

3) Go up to the menu bar > Effects > Color > Replace Color.

4) Look at the plugin's User Interface in Eli's example picture, make your plugins setting's and slider's match the picture's setting's and sliders.

hairline-02-4d7606a.png

I see this later. Running to try.

Try lowing the tolerance of the magic wand, and see if that helps.

If you still have an issue, your line might have a gap somewhere.

To find the gap, temporarily add a new layer below your outline layer, and fill the new layer with a color that helps your outline be easy to see. Then zoom in super close and look around your outline to see where it might be too thin or not connected. Be sure to look at the edges of the picture too, like around the shoulders of the subject where the picture is cut-off. The outline may not have been completed in one of those areas.

EDIT:

Based on your previous screen shot, try looking around the bottom of the right ear. I'm sorry, after I took a closer look, try looking more around the collar of the shirt. Perhaps that's where the gap is.

I think i am missing something important.

I will try this.

Add a new layer : Outline the subject.

With that layer active i will draw or traze a line to outline the subject (person in the photo) with the Paintbrush tool.

The draw or traze must be inside the subject (the person in the photo) and outlining the subject.

Uyssss.

I will try

Try lowing the tolerance of the magic wand, and see if that helps.

If you still have an issue, your line might have a gap somewhere.

To find the gap, temporarily add a new layer below your outline layer, and fill the new layer with a color that helps your outline be easy to see. Then zoom in super close and look around your outline to see where it might be too thin or not connected. Be sure to look at the edges of the picture too, like around the shoulders of the subject where the picture is cut-off. The outline may not have been completed in one of those areas.

EDIT:

Based on your previous screen shot, try looking around the bottom of the right ear. I'm sorry, after I took a closer look, try looking more around the collar of the shirt. Perhaps that's where the gap is.

I think one of my fails is draw or traze the line in the same layer that the subject not in the new one created.....