How to Install Plugins ×

Tartan v1.5.2 (Jan 3, 2019)

toe_head2001

This is a great plugin, toe_head2001.     :D

I made you a little something....did it on my lunchbreak...not much time....

tartan_01.png

Edited by lynxster4
re-hosted image
  • Upvote 4

Fabulous looking plugin! :star:

I have some Scottish ancestry. Reproducing my clan tartan would be cool - except that I'd have to re-enter it each time. How about an option to load & save patterns?

... would be cool - except that I'd have to re-enter it each time. How about an option to load & save patterns?

Version 1.1 posted with Save & Load functionality. I must say, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I thought I would have to define a custom XML structure and everything, so it was great to see XMLSerializer just simply knew how to structure the XML based on the existing code. Button icons from Fugue Icons. I also added a link to the source code; which I had forgotten to do last week.

Here's an example tartan you can load. tartan-example.xml

I've found that using the 'Grain' plugin afterwards will give a decent fabric texture to the pattern. Does anyone have some other techniques for making the tartan patterns look more like fabric?

Sorry about the broken images on all of my posts. My domain name was unexpectedly suspended today for reasons unknown to me. Hopefully that will be sorted out within a few days.

Edited by toe_head2001
  • Upvote 3

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

It is not easy to add texture to pixels. But I tried something. I created a tartan pattern then I removed the white area and made it transparent. I duplicated the layer, I applied the Reticulation effect at the minimum settings and then I did a Color Flip. Finally I did offset the layer. And it looks like this:

tartan-textured-4d460f9.png

This is a close-up and as you see, I think several colors are needed to have a textile texture. Perhaps a feature to create this type of patterns could be added to the effect.

tartan-textured-closeup-4d4660f.png

Edited by Eli
  • Upvote 2

Version 1.1 posted with Save & Load functionality.

Bravo! Thank you.

I must say, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I thought I would have to define a custom XML structure and everything, so it was great to see XMLSerializer just simply knew how to structure the XML based on the existing code.

I'm really glad you figured it out ;)

This is a really cool plugin! nice U.I. and useful. Thank you. :beer:
(Not a real tartan, just a first experiment)
NX6RYG7.png

Does this replace/supercede Gingham and Tattershall?
Perhaps a few .xml presets for tartans, tweeds etc. could be included in the first post ... just a thought.

By the way the first post screenshot image links seem to be broken. I should read more carefully!

Good images Eli! B)

Btw I used Furblur & Clipdisplace (I would, wouldn't I! :D), to soften/distort.

• Upvote 1

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Does this replace/supercede Gingham and Tattershall?

Perhaps a few .xml presets for tartans, tweeds etc. could be included in the first post ... just a thought.

While this plugin can do gingham and tattersall patterns, I would still recommend those plugins. If someone specifically wanted to create a gingham pattern, it is faster and less cumbersome to use the Gingham plugin.

If anyone wants to create some sample .xml files, they can send them to me a PM and I can add them to the first post. I only issue I foresee is that there currently is no way to edit the built lines (in the UI at least, one could manually edit the .xml file).

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

One way to add texture is to use my Texture Shader plugin.

I generated a cloth-like texture by the following steps.

A grid, using BoltBait's Grid/Checkerboard plugin, with spacing 5 and line width 1.

A Gaussian blur of 1.

Pyrochild's Stitch plugin, with everything default, except a distance of 1.

The result was:

Cloth_Texture.png

I copied a tartan image to the clipboard, and used Texture Shader to produce:

Tartan_Textured.png

EDIT: Another idea that seems to work well to produce the cloth texture is to start with a checkerboard in place of a grid. Also, following the Stitch step, adding a bit of noise (with Color Saturation set to 0) and/or applying the Frosted Glass effect seems to give good results.

EDIT 2: Thanks for the positive response to my comment!

I originally neglected to write down the Texture Shader settings, so I thought I'd add them. Better late than never.

Mapping Method: Surface Offset 1 (default)

Texture Height Scale: 5.00

Texture Displacement Scale: 1.00 (default)

Intensity Increases with Height: Checked (default)

Use Alpha from Texture: Unchecked (default)

Ambient Light Color: 0, 0, 0

Directional Light Color: 255, 255, 255

Directional Light Direction: 0, -135, 45 (from upper-left)

Directional Light Intensity: 2.00

Apply Surface Color to Highlight: Unchecked (default)

Specularity: 0.35

Specular Concentration: 8 (default)

Antialias: Unchecked (default)

These are not necessarily the best values, and may not be exactly what I originally used.

• Upvote 7

Very nice texturing effect MJW!

Version 1.2 posted. Fixes two things:
-The effect would crash if the Tokens for the List Sets were updated while the render was in the middle of processing them. Had to wrap the relevant code in a try{ }
-The ending Y coordinate for the vertical lines was using the selection width rather than the height. This was only noticeable if you were working with a portrait selection/canvas .

• Upvote 1

bp-sig.png

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As they say about whisky, 'they're all good but some are better than others' (I'm looking at you, caol ila and lagavulin)
it's also true about tartans. Now I need to drag my tartan out and try to reproduce it with this plugin.
But first I'll look at your code, which I've learned a lot from.
toe_head2001, This is a great plugin and I appreciate the work that went into it.

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream."

• 8 months later...
12 hours ago, welshblue said:

and the possibility of seeing @Ego Eram Reputo in his kilt :P  (Ok that bit is slightly weird)

I'm believe I'm a Campbell - so these are my clan colors

camptar.gif

I'd wear a kilt - y' got a problem w' tha' Jimmy?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

I'm believe I'm a Campbell - so these are my clan colors

camptar.gif

I'd wear a kilt - y' got a problem w' tha' Jimmy?

A Campbell eh? Which branch, cousin?

After my mother's people left the Hardangerfjord, they married into the lords of the Orkney Islands--a sept of Campbell of Cawdor. Of course, we're also associated with Clan Stuart, but they don't like to admit to Maddad's children! ;)

1496930299_DraconicSig.png.8e49d04e5ce393bdcdf9f0dfb54bf1c8.png

Actually I'm not sure which branch. The ones who fought the MacGregors (it's a long story - which I don't fully know).

On 8/31/2017 at 1:35 AM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Actually I'm not sure which branch. The ones who fought the MacGregors (it's a long story - which I don't fully know).

Oh! Glenorchy then! :) So, technically you would wear Campbell of Breadalbane if you wanted something different from the standard Black Watch.

1496930299_DraconicSig.png.8e49d04e5ce393bdcdf9f0dfb54bf1c8.png

• 3 months later...

I'm in the processes of updating my plugins with Custom UI to be 'Dark Theme' aware.  Lookie here:

Tartan-Dark.png

I'll be posting these updated versions once paint.net 4.0.20 is released.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

bp-sig.png