How to Install Plugins ×

Text Window v1.4 (July 5, 2018)

toe_head2001

Text Window

Effects -> Text Formations -> Text Window

Description

Used to repeat text to create word images.

Screenshots

ui.png

gradient.png

Notes

If you do not intend to repeat the text, please use the Text tool as seen below.

Spoiler

overwrite.png

Change Log

v1.4 (July 5, 2018)

• Added: Russian translation by @ReMake is now included.
  • Changed: The Font dropdown now defaults to the Arial font, rather than the first one in the list.

v1.3 (March 14, 2016)

• Changed: Unusable font are no longer listed in the UI, thus eliminating the "Font Error" messages.

v1.2 (Oct 6, 2015)

• Changed: Simplified the algorithm for cutting out the window text
  • New: Added font styles (bold, italic, underline, strikeout)
  • Changed: Moved some code into OnSetRenderInfo. Makes it faster and use less system memory

v1.1 (Aug 28, 2015)

• Fixed: Font error message is now modal
  • Fixed: Background could be very slightly affected by the x Offset value if set to +1.0 (I had copy & pasted onto the wrong line without noticing...)

v1.0 (Aug 25, 2015)

• Initial release

Download

TextWindow.zip

Source Code

Source files and Git history

Edited by toe_head2001
  • Upvote 8

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Thanks for the source and the icon, toe_head!hi.gif

EDIT: those interested can find Text Window v1.2 for Paint.NET 3.5.11 in post 21 further below.

Edited by Maximilian

.... the outlines within the text windows were done with TR's Quick Outliner

BoltBait's Outline Object would give a much better result in this case. Plus you don't need to make a selection before running it.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

Yes, I know, but I decided to leave things as they are because I was in a moment when I was testing both new plugins. Since I plan to go on using this, I'll also make further tests with the other outlining plugins.

a photoshop like effect very handy. you can then apply other effects (outline, drop shadow... without select).

A feature that fills a gap, should be native!

I found a small problem.

If the user gets an error message and accidentally presses the Cancel button on the user interface -

Error1.png

as the result he gets the endless canceling process.

Error3.png

This is because the message box is not a child window of the UI.

For exit from this process, the user must click on Font Error in the Quick Launch bar and then click OK on the message box.

Error2.png

Edited by ReMake

Remake, that can be fixed by replacing:

MessageBox.Show("You can not use the font '" + this.Amount4.Name + "'.\n\nPlease choose a different font.", "Font Error");
With:

Form.ActiveForm.Invoke(new Action(delegate()
{
    MessageBox.Show("You can not use the font '" + this.Amount4.Name + "'.\n\nPlease choose a different font.", "Font Error");
}));
  • Upvote 2

I found a small problem. If the user gets an error message and accidentally presses the Cancel button on the user interface -as the result he gets the endless canceling process. This is because the message box is not a child window of the UI. For exit from this process, the user must click on Font Error in the Quick Launch bar and then click OK on the message box.

Remake, that can be fixed by replacing...

Thanks guys. I'll include that in a new build later today.

I do not know if it is possible but an option to control the space between the lines would be nice. Perhaps a rotation option as well.

Both should be possible. I'll work on this later today.

bp-sig.png

Form.ActiveForm.Invoke(new Action(delegate()
{
}));

Though that works, perhaps use the following instead, which is Rick Brewster-Approved:

void ShowMessage(string msg, string caption)
{
    PaintDotNet.Threading.PdnSynchronizationContext.Instance.Send(
        new System.Threading.SendOrPostCallback(delegate(object state)
        {
            // This line runs on the UI thread and not on the Render thread
            System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.Show(msg, caption);
        }), null);
}
Edited by MJW
  • Upvote 1

Though that works, perhaps use the following instead, which is Rick Brewster-Approved:

Yeah, I think I like better. The render thread is no place for a messagebox.

I do not know if it is possible but an option to control the space between the lines would be nice. Perhaps a rotation option as well.

Ok, I've looked into both of these.

Line Height: This can be done in .Net, but the only method I found was not very elegant, as it had to be calculated manually. I'm not sure I want to add it.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xwf9s90b.aspx

Rotation: There are a few different ways to do it, depending on what you want. Thoughts?

1)

Obviously, an regular rotation would give you this:

void.png

You could either fill in the transparent corners with the background color, or

you could tile the image (aka wrapped):

wrapped.png

2)

I could use the old Pythagorean theorem on the selection rectangle, and use the result as the height and width of my text rectangle. That way it would be large enough that there would be no transparent corners when rotated.

I have not tried this yet, but I think it could work.

Edited by toe_head2001

bp-sig.png

Well, I know BoltBait does not like counting/calculating manually so it must not be recommended. 

For the rotation option, I like the second approach. Independently of font size, I wonder if a"zoom" would help fill the rectangle.

Post edit: Does the effect "Text+" use the same method for Line Space?

Edited by Eli

Does the effect "Text+" use the same method for Line Space?

dpy never posted his source code for that, so can't say for sure. However, I suspect he did, or some variation of it.

I don't like how Line Spacing was implemented in Text+ though. You have to set it to a fix amount, and that doesn't work well when you change the font size. It gives you 100% of control, but at the cost automation. I prefer how word processors do it: scale. Line spacing of 1.00x, 1.15x, 1.50x, 2.00x, ect. That way it can work with whichever font size.

bp-sig.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oooohhhhh, this is very interesting plugin. Many possibilities are dancing in my head.

Thank you, toe_head2001! I've been liking the plugins you've been creating.    :mrcyan:

textwindow_01.png

Edited by lynxster4
re-hosted image
  • Upvote 1

Follows the version of the plugin compatible with the vintage 3.5.11, should anyone else need it

attachicon.gifText Window v1.2 for PdN 3.5.11.zip

Please update post #3 (i.e. remove the earlier version). Thanks.

• 2 months later...