Where would I post a plug in request?

I want to post a request for a plug in that would be able to identify contiguous colors and their size then recolor them based on a set of paremeters.

Like say I might ask the plug-in to find contiguous areas of black, with a 1% tolerance and recolor any of these contiguous black areas comprised of 20 or fewer pixels into white.

This would be really useful to me and I would like to know where I would post a request for a plug in like this.

You should be able to do this manually using the magic wand :MagicWandTool:

1. Set your primary color to the new shade you want to install.

2. Activate the magic wand & set the toolbar tolerance to 1% and selection mode to contiguous.

3. Make a selection on the target color.

4. Selection size in pixels is shown in the Status bar. If less than <whatever> number of pixels, hit the Backspace key.

5. Repeat 3 & 4 as required.

As far as a plugin, you've just made your request. A nice person might come along and write a plugin for you.

@ego Oh I guess my use of the word contiguous was misleading. If What you describes works, but I would have to repeat that thousands of times. I meant something that could do all the the spots that are 20 pixels or less, at once.

And thanks techno. 

Edited by Humility

Hello TR, I am trying to findout what to do with it. Perhaps a speckle cleaner?... Anyway, I got this error when I make a selection and Run the effect:

File: C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects\TRsSpecks.dll
      Name: TRsSpecksEffect.TRsSpecksEffectPlugin
      Version: 1.0.5715.37941
      Author: Copyright © TechnoRobbo
      Copyright: TR's Speck Fill selected pixels
      Full error message: PaintDotNet.WorkerThreadException: Worker thread threw an exception ---> System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at TRsSpecksEffect.TRsSpecksEffectPlugin.check(Surface s, Int32 x, Int32 y, ColorBgra f, Int32 var, Int32 stop, Int32 size, Int32[,]& track)
   at TRsSpecksEffect.TRsSpecksEffectPlugin.Render(Surface dst, Surface src, Rectangle rect2)
   at TRsSpecksEffect.TRsSpecksEffectPlugin.OnRender(Rectangle[] rois, Int32 startIndex, Int32 length)
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.Effect`1.Render(Rectangle[] renderRects, Int32 startIndex, Int32 length) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Effects\Effect`1.cs:line 54
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.Effect`1.Render(EffectConfigToken parameters, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs, Rectangle[] rois, Int32 startIndex, Int32 length) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Effects\Effect`1.cs:line 97
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.RenderWithClipMask(Effect effect, EffectConfigToken token, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs, Rectangle[] rois, IRenderer`1 clipMaskRenderer) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 161
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.RendererContext.RenderTile(EffectConfigToken token, Int32 tileIndex) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 141
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.RendererContext.RenderNextTile(EffectConfigToken token) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 134
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.ThreadFunction() in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 226
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.DrainExceptions() in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 431
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.Abort() in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 386
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.Start() in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Effects\BackgroundEffectRenderer.cs:line 332
   at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.<>c__DisplayClass31.<>c__DisplayClass35.<RunEffectImpl>b__25() in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:line 1003

There are two things I want to do with it. Yes as a speckle cleaner as my needs are mostly mechanical not artistic. But on the artistic front it should help with making the resulting colors from noise more appeasing.

But its not working. The size slider is having no apparent effect. Here let me give some images to help show what I mean. Though please don't laugh at how bad they are.

This is the base image.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj38/Humility1/The%20Unvieled%20Skirmishers.jpg

Here is the image  with the default settings of the speck tool. Notice is has very little effect. but it effects everything. Reducing a little bit on both the small black specks and the primary lines.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj38/Humility1/The%20Unvieled%20Skirmishers%20Example%201.jpg

Here is a version with the size variable moved to max. There is no increase in effect, just a shifting of the targeted pixels.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj38/Humility1/The%20Unvieled%20Skirmishers%20Example%202.jpg

And here is the final result. I show you this because you might want to see what the end goal was. Also I recall in this image in order to rapidly place the spikes on the flying creatures I had used the custom brush tool. Now one problem that tends to plague my drawings is that I have no good way of, well getting rid of that feathering effect that happens when I rotate stuff, resize and so on. And since I make lineart. they look really bad against the otherwise crisp black lines I make.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj38/Humility1/The%20Unvieled%20Skirmishers.png

And for a second example, these follow the same pattern with the same issues. My ice effect would have also been better with this tool I think. I forgot to remove the dark spots from my noise so I wasn't able to get the ice to gleam. And I didn't feel like undoing everything I already did.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj38/Humility1/Balok.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj38/Humility1/Balok%20ex%201.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj38/Humility1/Balok%20ex%202.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj38/Humility1/Balok.png

I do have images that a are far denser with so many splotches from eraser marks, sweat drops, smears, pencil burns ect that can take days to clean up. But they are fan art and I don't feel comfortable showing fan art. Even though the vast majority of what I draw is fan art and fan comics.

Edited by Humility

Humility, I wrote a plugin which I believe does what you think you want done, though I'm not certain it will actually achieve what you want to achieve. It isn't a CodeLab pugin, so I'll wait to paste the code till I decide whether it's worth publishing.

Here is the plugin, which I call Spot Remover (in Effects>Color): SpotRemover.zip

I know its purpose isn't the kind that is really focused on here. Virtually all plug-ins and stuff focus on helping improve the end result. The quality of my own 'artwork' depends on how much time I put into it with the time being the limiting factor. Something like this that will work, will save me a lot of time and consequently improve my artwork. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Its a plug in that will likely have no unique effect but if it works like I hope it should act as a short cut for a few things. Other then clean up, mostly in editting the colors of textures.

Like when creating noise over say a light blue color when trying to make ice, one ends up with a lot of black and dark blue no matter what. Currently to deal with that one has to copy the area one is about to noisyfy, paste it to another layer, noise it up, wand the offending pixels, and then paint bucket them with global 100% and a transparent white. (Or fiddle with the cloud generator though I find its coverage not as satisfactory as pure noise)

This would reduce all that to one step.

And of course it would help deal with noise or textures you don't have the luxury of pre-seperating into layers. And would help fix jpgs.

Edited by Humility

Humility, I wrote a plugin which I believe does what you think you want done, though I'm not certain it will actually achieve what you want to achieve. It isn't a CodeLab pugin, so I'll wait to paste the code till I decide whether it's worth publishing.

Here is the plugin, which I call Spot Remover (in Effects>Color): attachicon.gifSpotRemover.zip

I don't understand the significance of 'not a code lab plugin' does that mean it could blow up my computer or something?

No, it just means the source code is longer than a typically short CodeLab program, so I decided not to post it all in a comment. If anyone is interested in seeing the code, I'll be happy to post it.

I'll explain why I'm not sure it's really what you want. Suppose you have a smallish, blurry black dot, where the middle is pure black. and it gets lighter as it goes outward. When the tolerance is low, maybe only a few of the center pixels will match (and therefore be replaced), so you'll end up with a blurry black dot with a white center. If you increase the tolerance, the white center will grow, until enough pixels match the tolerance that the size of the matching region will exceed the count limit, at which point the entire dot will be black again.

Edited by MJW

Actually not quite exactly for some reason its not having any effect on noise. I mean instead of grabbing the exact desired color and those within a close enough shade of it, it seems to be effecting randomly. And as I slid the bar around it suddenly stopped doing anything.

There's always the possibility there's a bug in it, but it's also possible the apparent randomness is the sort of interaction I described between the tolerance and the region size.

When you say "it quits working," do you mean for those particular settings, or do you mean that moving the controls ceases to have any effect?

Maybe it was the tolerance issue. As I found at 18 I seem to have all the dark ones now bright green. (I used bright green to better see.) But if I shift it up to 19 suddenly large random chunks revert. Though they don'r look like they should threaten to break the pixel size limit.  Maybe its just a priority issue in the code. Because chunks that look identical seem unaffected and if I keep slowly raising the tolerance up chunks keep going from selected to unselected.

I think though it froze before because I had just used TR's pixel tool before hand and there was some sort of conflict. As now that I've restarted it, there is no more problem with it stopping.

...and if I keep slowly raising the tolerance up chunks keep going from selected to unselected.

That particular effect is probably a result of more pixels in the chunk meeting the tolerance threshold, until the size exceeds the size limit.

EDIT:

I think though it froze before because I had just used TR's pixel tool before hand and there was some sort of conflict. As now that I've restarted it, there is no more problem with it stopping.

I wouldn't be completely shocked if it ceased working. I had that problem when I was initially testing it. I think I fixed the problem, and I couldn't get it to do that anymore, but there's always the possibility that there are still bugs of that sort. The algorithm is actually somewhat complex, using an extra surface and many flood fills, so there are plenty of places to go wrong.

Edited by MJW

Yes it counts pixels - you're criteria was:

Like say I might ask the plug-in to find contiguous areas of black, with a 1% tolerance and recolor any of these contiguous black areas comprised of 20 or fewer pixels into white.

you can also choose to include or exclude diagonals as contiguous.

BTW (Variance represents the euclidean distance between colors in an RGB 3D cube).

TR's Speck Fill TRsSpecks.zip

Menu: Effects ->Color

CodeLab Source Code (it's just a little itty bitty thing)

Hidden Content:
// Name:TR's Speck Fill
// Submenu: Color
// Author:TechnoRobbo
// Title:TR's Speck Fill v 1.1
// Desc: 
// Keywords:
// URL:
// Help:
#region UICode
int Amount1 = 10; // [0,128] Variance
int Amount2 = 10; // [0,50] Size
bool Amount3 = false; // [0,1] Diagonal Borders
#endregion

private double pythag(ColorBgra CP ,ColorBgra CP2 )
{
    return Math.Sqrt((CP.G -CP2.G) * (CP.G -CP2.G) +(CP.B -CP2. * (CP.B -CP2. +
        (CP.R -CP2.R) * (CP.R -CP2.R));
}

private bool check(Surface s, int x, int y, ColorBgra f, int var ,int stop,bool diag )
{
    if (IsCancelRequested) return false;
    System.Collections.Generic.Stack<Point> que =
                new System.Collections.Generic.Stack<Point>();
    int size=0;
    int[,] track = new int[Amount2 * 2 + 1,Amount2 * 2 + 1];
    que.Push(new Point(x,y));
    int limit = stop * 2 + 1;
    while (que.Count > 0)
    {
        Point p = que.Pop();
        if (p.X < 0 || p.Y < 0 || p.X > (s.Width - 1) || p.Y>= (s.Height - 1))continue;
        Point pxy = new Point(p.X - x + stop, p.Y - y + stop);

if (pxy.X > track.GetUpperBound(0) || pxy.Y > track.GetUpperBound(1)
            || pxy.X < 0 || pxy.Y <0) continue;

if (track[pxy.X,pxy.Y]!=0)continue;
        if (pythag(s[p.X,p.Y],f)<=var)
        {
                track[pxy.X,pxy.Y]=1;

p.Offset(1, 0);
                que.Push(p);
                p.Offset(-1, 1);
                que.Push(p);
                p.Offset(-1, -1);
                que.Push(p);
                p.Offset(1, -1);
                que.Push(p);
                if (diag)
                {
                    p.Offset(1, 0);
                    que.Push(p);
                    p.Offset(0, 2);
                    que.Push(p);
                    p.Offset(-2, 0);
                    que.Push(p);
                    p.Offset(0, -2);
                    que.Push(p);
                }

}
    }
    for (int j = 0; j < track.GetUpperBound(1); j++)
    {
        for (int i = 0; i < track.GetUpperBound(0); i++)
        {
            if ( track[i,j] != 0)size++;
        }
    }

return (size<=stop && size > 0);
}

void Render(Surface dst, Surface src, Rectangle rect)
{

Rectangle rect2 = EnvironmentParameters.GetSelection(src.Bounds).GetBoundsInt();
    ColorBgra pc = (ColorBgra)EnvironmentParameters.PrimaryColor;
    ColorBgra sc = (ColorBgra)EnvironmentParameters.SecondaryColor;

for (int y = rect.Top; y < rect.Bottom; y++)
    {
        if (IsCancelRequested) return;
        for (int x = rect.Left; x < rect.Right; x++)
        {
            if (IsCancelRequested) return;
            bool val = check(src,x,y,pc,Amount1,Amount2,Amount3);           
            if (val)
            {
                dst[x,y] = sc;
            }else{
                dst[x,y] = src[x,y];
            }
        }
    }

}