BoltBait

BoltBait's Plugin Pack for PdN v4.0.6+ Updated Feb 15, 2017

100 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, <No cursing.>youpdnIhatehoopjumping said:

transparency and most of these tools dont show up in the menu complete waste of time.. just a tip make your installer close after installing so people dont click thinking its the next program there trying to install... to waste more time

Boltbait's tools and installer work correctly!

I think you wasted your time writing a negative comment instead of learning how to install and use the effects.

I think you wasted your time writing a negative comment instead of learning how to install and use the effects.

I think some people just enjoy being angry:lol:

Happy Christmas Eli - great work answering user questions this past year.;)

I installed the transparency effect from the pack, and it works beautifully.  It's interesting that Paint.Net can't do this itself, but your plug-in can. Thanks so much.

On 8/28/2015 at 3:27 PM, BoltBait said:

As noted in the thread title, this plugin pack requires PDN v4.0.6 or higher.

Update your paint.net and you'll be fine.

Time to provide some feedback. As you can see I˝m very new and I am carefully watching each step I take. I am running WIN10 and I am confused about your reference to ˝PDN 4.0.6 / The install I received was 4.0.13.6191 / Is this the same thing? The downloaded add-ins have been great up to now. With this pack I received a minor error when installing. That folder does not exist on my PC. Perhaps something I have not done yet in PDN that will create the folder when I do. After clicking OK the installation continued perfectly and a quick look showed me the plug-ins did install. It may take me awhile to go through each one and test - but the installation was the main thing. Is there a version complication? Note: Once I manually created the folder the installation worked.:)

Capture.PNG

Edited by AndrewDavid
Determined the Folder did not exist then created it manually

The error refers to a custom palette (included in the pack) that could not be installed. This is because you have no other custom palettes and, therefore, no "Palettes" folder.

There are two ways around the problem.

One, is to use the Windows File Explorer to create the folder yourself in the same path indicated in the error message.

Two, is to force Paint.NET to create the folder by saving a custom palette you made yourself. How? See here: Working With Palettes 

Just change a few of the colours of the default palette and save it under any name. You can later delete it, if you have no use for it, using File Explorer.

Edited by Djisves
typo

21 hours ago, AndrewDavid said:

Note: Once I manually created the folder the installation worked.:)

Time to say thank you for this pack of plug-ins - My list of plug-ins is growing by leaps and bounds. I˝m downloading more than I am creating. Kudos again to you sir. It even allowed me to start a gallery. B) 

MGT9iTs.png

Edited by AndrewDavid
Changed thumbnail to link 1 removed embedded / added thumbnail

Hey anyone.Yes, this is my first time here:)
When I download BoltBaits plugins that come with an installer I can open them 
but the files do not go into the effects folder in P.N. I've used 2 different zip file openers and I see the list there 
but there is no way to copy them and paste them into the effects folder. Years ago I was able to see every effect listed
that I downloaded and I was able to copy them and paste. What do I do? I only have this issue because I bought a new PC 
and had to download P.N again. Thanks for letting me ramble on but I love this program but I only have about half the effects
I used to have:(:( Isn't that sad??:)

bolt bait error 1.png

The installer is trying to find the folder to store a palette file and it is having trouble.  There are several reasons why the installer might be having trouble.  But, you can simply ignore that error.  Just click OK to continue and all of my plugins will be installed in paint.net for you.

You'll get all the shapes and effects--no problem.  You just won't get the custom palette file I included.

If you really want the palette file, you can download it here: 

Well, none of the shapes effects load at all. I do not understand about palettes. I also get the same type path error as mentioned back away's by Andrew David. Here's my error message in the picture. I have another screenshot but I can load it because of the size limits here so I'll have to that in my next reply I guess.

failed rianbow paint.net.png

@flmngseabass, open the Palette folder from within paint.net.

palette-folder.png

That should automatically create the folder (if it doesn't exist).

Once you've done that, try BoltBait's installer again.

Hi!

I have trouble with the installer. It wants me to install .net 3.5, but I´m way over 4.6. Any ideas? :-)

InstallFehler.png

3 hours ago, flmngseabass said:

I do not understand about palettes. I also get the same type path error as mentioned back away's by Andrew David. Here's my error message in the picture.

Good day - Disregard the error message. The .exe is just looking for that folder. What I did was create the folder manually through windows explorer - then ran the exe again. Clicking OK does not continue installing the DLLs. That˝s why I had to post.

Palletes- In your window where you select your colors you have 32 to choose from. Those 32 colors can be modified to the colors you prefer. Lets say 32 shades of red for example. Once you fill that box with all your choice colors - you have the option to save that set as a palette. Hence the need for the palette folder. So Paint knows where to find them. Then you could fill the same box with 32 shades of blue and save to a new palette. Hope this helps B)

MGT9iTs.png

New version of plugin pack today.  V46.

Changes:

Added

Temperature / Tint Adjustment

Updated

Photo > Combined Adjustments

Thanks Boltbait! Gotta keep up to date!

Installed the 4.6 pack at your suggestion on my thread on Need Multiple Adjustment or Effect Controls active simultaneously. Here are my hopefully constructive comments and suggestions, but only on the "Combined Adjustments" plugin (except for Item 1).

INSTALLATION

1. Perhaps just my paranoia, but it would be nice to have the option of just copying the appropriate files into the appropriate sub-directories of the Paint.net installation, i.e., a zip file of the actual files to be copied along with a short readme file on where to put each one. I just don't like to run .exe files where they're not really necessary. By all means include the .exe option as well for those who prefer a one-step "no-brainer" installation.

*** The following comments are only on the "Combined Adjustments" plugin. ***

USER INTERFACE

2. A "Reset All" button and a "Preview/View Original" checkbox are needed.

DEFAULTS

3. I find it odd and somewhat disconcerting that the default values (with everything reset) has Noise Reduction at 0.2, Brightness -10, Contrast +10, Saturation +5 and Final Multiply Adjustment (more on that later) 30, i.e., it's already modifying my photo without my doing anything. The reset values should always default to "No Change" on a general function like this. If you feel that these are "Typical" values that most photos need (though I would disagree), then by all means add a "Typical" button with these "standard" values, but the Reset values should really reflect "no change."

HELP FILE

4. The Help file is great, but I would really like more detail in it, specifically on the algorithm being used (even in general terms in the case of more complex algorithms). Even a casual user might find it useful or at least interesting, and the more technical user may actually want to know what exactly is being done to the image. Perhaps Brightness and Contrast don't need more explanation (though even there, a one-liner like "adds the specified number to each of the RGB values, within the range 0-255" would be useful). Of course those who would like even more detail could go to the source code, but this would be a nice intermediate step. Another useful item would be whether an item like Saturation just calls the built-in Saturation control function or whether it is a (perhaps differently operating) replacement. In the case of Noise Reduction, for example, where the built-in has two controls Radius and Strength and this Plugin has only one (Strength, presumably, but with a different default of 0.2 to boot), it would be especially useful to know what's being used as the default "Radius" parameter in this case.

5. "Final Multiply Adjustment" really does need a detailed explanation. The current "really bring out the dynamic range of your image" doesn't really say much (in one of my photos that I tried this out on, it actually reduced the apparent dynamic range). The name suggests that it multiplies each of the other adjustments by some factor, but even if I set all the others to 0 (manually), this control still does something to the image.

MY WISH LIST FOR NEW FUNCTIONS - This would be my "dream" v4.5 (v4.4 of course is the one that incorporates my suggestions above ;))! In priority order ...

6. Shadow/Highlight Recovery: With the same three controls as in just the Basic portion of Tanel's plugin.

7. White point and black point adjustments: Preferably as a subset of the built-in "Levels" adjustment, with the following feature subset:

- Only overall level needed (no need for separate RGB controls)

- Display both input and output histograms (without breaking out RGB separately for the input histogram, though it would be useful on the output histogram for the other controls that affect colour--perhaps a checkbox option to display b/w vs colour histogram)

- Control white point and black point on input only (no need for control on output, nor on grey point control, but preferably with the control slider visually closer to the base of the histogram than on the built-in ...)

- Display effect on output histogram

8. Add "Auto Adjust" button that uses some algorithm to make (proposed) changes to the included functions automagically, showing on the sliders what changes were made (so the user can use as a starting point and further modify).

9. Noise Reduction: Add Radius parameter as well to match the built-in.

Sorry in advance for being greedy! To be clear, the ones I would really need on a Combined Adjustment control (that I use all the time with photos and frequently iterate between the controls so would really like them in one Plugin) are, in order of frequency of use (most frequent to least frequent):

- Brightness

- Contrast

- *Shadow/Highlight Recovery (almost always Shadow, rarely Highlight)

- Color temperature

- *Black point/white point

- Saturation

*=Missing in current version

The following I almost rarely (or at least rarely in a Combined way) but are already in the Combined Adjustments feature:

- Tint (rarely, if I need to finetune after using high levels of Color Temperature and Saturation correction)

- Final Multiple Adjustment (not sure what it really does)

- Noise Reduction (never tried it, perhaps I should)

28 minutes ago, Tango said:

INSTALLATION

1. Perhaps just my paranoia, but it would be nice to have the option of just copying the appropriate files into the appropriate sub-directories of the Paint.net installation, i.e., a zip file of the actual files to be copied along with a short readme file on where to put each one. I just don't like to run .exe files where they're not really necessary. By all means include the .exe option as well for those who prefer a one-step "no-brainer" installation.

You're new around here so you don't remember that we used to have a dozen posts a day asking how to install plugins.  That's why I wrote the following web page: http://boltbait.com/pdn/InstallingEffects.asp so a dozen times a day I would point them to that page.  It still took up a lot of time and people still had a problem following the instructions so we had to answer multiple posts per day about this.

At this point, I wrote the plugin installer and gave the source code away to anyone who wanted it. (I have not posted it publicly as I don't want the megalo people to get their hands on it.) It handles plugins, custom shapes, palette files, and other support files.  And, only takes about 15 minutes for a programmer to create one from their dll files.

We now have nearly zero daily posts about installing plugins... I'm never going back to the dark ages.  Deal.

38 minutes ago, Tango said:

2. A "Reset All" button

Not possible, sorry.  This is a limitation of the paint.net indirect ui system.

39 minutes ago, Tango said:

a "Preview/View Original" checkbox are needed.

I can add that.  Good idea, thanks.

40 minutes ago, Tango said:

DEFAULTS

3. I find it odd and somewhat disconcerting that the default values (with everything reset) ... it's already modifying my photo without my doing anything.

Many of the built-in effects do this.  For example, Gaussian Blur has a default of 2.  Some of the Adjustments do, some don't.  I'll have to think about this... but, my initial thought is to have the effect actually do something when first run.

44 minutes ago, Tango said:

HELP FILE

4. The Help file is great, but I would really like more detail in it, specifically on the algorithm being used

This is a fair assessment.  I wrote all my help files at a very high level thinking that I would go back later to add details.  Maybe it is time for me to revisit them.

46 minutes ago, Tango said:

5. "Final Multiply Adjustment" really does need a detailed explanation.

The source code to this effect is published here: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/17810-combined-photo-adjustments-with-source-code-jan-19-2010/

The multiply section simply takes the resulting pixel and multiplies it with itself.  Therefore it makes brighter pixels slightly brighter and dark pixels slightly darker.  It is the same as if you duplicated a layer and changed the top layer's blending mode to Multiply then started adjusting the Opacity slider.

To see some examples of what that Multiply slider can do, see here: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/16736-landscape-plugin-with-source-code-nov-2-2009/

49 minutes ago, Tango said:

MY WISH LIST FOR NEW FUNCTIONS

49 minutes ago, Tango said:

6. Shadow/Highlight Recovery

7. White point and black point adjustments

8. Add "Auto Adjust" button that uses some algorithm to make (proposed) changes to the included functions automagically

9. Noise Reduction

6. As Tanel has posted the source code to his Shadow/Highlight Recovery plugin, this is possible.

7. Not possible as the histogram controls are not available to us plugin authors.

8. Again, not possible.  That's why the defaults of the sliders are somewhat general.

9. The noise reduction Radius slider make so little difference, I just hard coded it at 10.  I prefer smaller UI's when possible.

54 minutes ago, Tango said:

the ones I would really need on a Combined Adjustment control...:

- Brightness

- Contrast

- *Shadow/Highlight Recovery (almost always Shadow, rarely Highlight)

- Color temperature

- *Black point/white point

- Saturation

*=Missing in current version

55 minutes ago, Tango said:

The following I almost rarely (or at least rarely in a Combined way) but are already in the Combined Adjustments feature:

- Tint (rarely, if I need to finetune after using high levels of Color Temperature and Saturation correction)

- Final Multiple Adjustment (not sure what it really does)

- Noise Reduction (never tried it, perhaps I should)

Looking over your list, here's what I could build:

-Shadow/Highlight Recovery

-Brightness

-Contrast

-Temperature

-Tint

-Saturation

-Multiply

-Preview original image (checkbox)

I would have to trade out Noise Reduction for Shadow Recovery.  This is just due to the fact that Noise Reduction and Shadow Recovery are both complex effects and it is really only possible to have one complex effect per plugin. (There are ways around this, but make your code way slower and way more complex.)

What do you think?  Worth doing?

(Using old-fashioned > for quotes to avoid clutter. All quotes are from BoltBait's last post)

> We now have nearly zero daily posts about installing plugins... I'm never going back to the dark ages.  Deal.

Ok, deal. Was a minor point, and certainly appreciate the counter-argument.

>> 2. A "Reset All" button

> Not possible, sorry.  This is a limitation of the paint.net indirect ui system.

But could have sworn I've seen it in others. Yes, in fact the Shadow/Highlight Reduction Plugin has a Reset button that resets all 3 sliders (in the Advanced mode it even resets sliders on Tabs not visible).

>> a "Preview/View Original" checkbox [is] needed.

> I can add that.  Good idea, thanks.

:CommitButton: (no thumbs up emoticon available here apparently ...)

>> 3. I find it odd and somewhat disconcerting that the default values [are] already modifying my photo without my doing anything.

> Many of the built-in effects do this.  For example, Gaussian Blur has a default of 2.  ... I'll have to think about this.

I feel more strongly about this one, that given the nature of this plugin as a general-purpose one the reset default really really should be "no change." You are absolutely right that in cases like Gaussian Blur, Convert to Black+White, and other specific-single-function plugins, a default that does something makes sense since anyone who invokes that function wants to see a Blur, B/W, etc. But in this case, as a Combined Effects plugin, it is way too general purpose to have any reasonable default. In cases like Brightness and Contrast, there is absolutely no way of knowing whether someone wants to increase it or decrease it (the built-in Brightness/Contrast controls do default to 0, by the way). If I invoke Brightness, I almost always want to increase it, but your default would decrease it. Really, most of the time I don't need to touch it, and it's the control I would use most often. The FMA "Squarer" function, while interesting, is non-standard enough that I would never really be likely to use it (preferring instead the more linear white/black point adjustments and that too on the rare occasion I even need dynamic range increase), yet it has a default of 30. Do reconsider this!

> I wrote all my help files at a very high level thinking that I would go back later to add details.  Maybe it is time for me to revisit them.

If you want to send me a draft by PM, I'm happy to review and comment offline, or even write the draft for you if you give me a cryptic version of what each is doing. (It's the least I can do to collaborate a little on the execution!)

> 6. As Tanel has posted the source code to his Shadow/Highlight Recovery plugin, this is possible.

:CommitButton:

>> 7. White and black point adjustments

> 7. Not possible as the histogram controls are not available to us plugin authors.

I'm going to expound on this one at some length as well. The interactive histogram, while very useful, is really icing on the cake. And recreating all the functionality I described from scratch including all the histogram stuff is admittedly complex and reinventing the wheel. But yet, if no white point and black point adjustment controls are available to plugin authors even without the histogram, it's still a relatively simple function to recode, is it not? It's just a linear rescaling of the brightness value of each colour of each pixel between the new white point and black point values, after thresholding, true?

I usually use this adjustment partially in lieu of, and generally in complement with brightness and contrast (hence my wanting it in the Combined Adjustments), often for an underexposed photo (less frequently for an overexposed photo which can generally not be improved upon as much). The histogram in this case shows almost no pixels on the white end of the spectrum, so I dial the white point down to a point close to where the histogram starts to show activity, knowing that I am losing very little information by doing so as very few pixels are being destroyed (converted to all-white). But even without the histogram, just looking at the picture I can tell from the lack of light tones that a white point adjustment is worth trying and similarly a black point adjustment in the case of a lack of dark tones. So I'd still find it useful even operating the control "blind."

So if you can recode just the controls, this would still be useful. But yeah, it's somewhat more useful with at least an input histogram too. Would just a b/w input-only histogram be too much to ask to recreate?

>> 8. Add "Auto Adjust" button that uses some algorithm to make (proposed) changes to the included functions automagically

> 8. Again, not possible.  That's why the defaults of the sliders are somewhat general.

OK, this is not a big deal for me. It was educational when I first started photo editing as a quick way to see what controls did what, but I rarely find a need to use it nowadays even on programs that support it. (But I'd still insist that zero-level defaults are better in that case ... not to harp on that point or anything ...:roll:.) If at some point in the future it becomes possible, my discussion above on white/black points provides a basis for an algorithm for the auto-setting of those two parameters at least.

> Looking over your list, here's what I could build:

> -Shadow/Highlight Recovery

> -Brightness

> -Contrast

> -Temperature

> -Tint

> -Saturation

> -Multiply

> -Preview original image (checkbox)

> I would have to trade out Noise Reduction for Shadow Recovery.

> What do you think?  Worth doing?

No issue on my side with trading out Noise Reduction for Shadow Recovery. Not because Noise Reduction isn't useful, but because much less is lost by having it be an independent control as its effect is largely orthogonal to the others.

Now if you could add a basic (histogram-less) White and Black Point adjustment to the above list per my comments above, I'd be a very happy camper!

1 hour ago, Tango said:

But could have sworn I've seen it in others. Yes, in fact the Shadow/Highlight Reduction Plugin has a Reset button that resets all 3 sliders (in the Advanced mode it even resets sliders on Tabs not visible).

Not being able to reset all the controls with a single button is a limitation of IndirectUI (as BoltBait alluded to in his response). Any effect with tabs isn't using IndirectUI. Most PDN plugins use IndirectUI, because it's considerably easier than implementing the user interface from scratch, and it assures a consistent look-and-feel.

(For what it's worth, I agree with Tango that for a photo adjustment like this, it would be better if the default was no modification.)

On 2/3/2017 at 9:47 AM, Djisves said:

The error refers to a custom palette (included in the pack) that could not be installed. This is because you have no other custom palettes and, therefore, no "Palettes" folder.

There are two ways around the problem.

One, is to use the Windows File Explorer to create the folder yourself in the same path indicated in the error message.

Two, is to force Paint.NET to create the folder by saving a custom palette you made yourself. How? See here: Working With Palettes 

Just change a few of the colours of the default palette and save it under any name. You can later delete it, if you have no use for it, using File Explorer.

Thx I had same problem and this fixed it.

Hi, Boltbait. Finally got round to downloading the latest version of your plugins but now I find they have an installer . Reading pevious comments I get why you did this but I just have a couple of questions before I go ahead as this method is all new to me.

Does the installer automatically update all the plugins already installed using the `old' method (which I have never had a problem with) or do I have to remove the old ones first.

Also if, in the future, I need to either add/remove a plug in that I find I need/don`t need any more do I just rerun the installer, check/uncheck the appropriate ones and install again . Or do I get just one shot at picking which ones I want. With the old method I can keep all my plugins in a dedicated file and pick and choose as necessary. I`m hoping I still have that option as, although I know all your plugins are excellent there are some I never use and I do not want a long list of unused plugins in my Adjustments/Effects menus.

4 hours ago, Goonfella said:

Does the installer automatically update all the plugins already installed using the `old' method (which I have never had a problem with) or do I have to remove the old ones first.

Hey @Goonfella  Not sure what the old method is - but the installer will overwrite older versions of the plug ins you select for installation.

@BoltBait may have taken the weekend off. 

4 hours ago, Goonfella said:

I need to either add/remove a plug in that I find I need/don`t need any more do I just rerun the installer, check/uncheck the appropriate ones and install again

Once the plug in is installed - you have to delete (or copy and move) it manually from the effects folder - the installer will not delete anything - only overwrite.

Hope this helps B)

Thanks, @AndrewDavid, that was exactly right.