Discussion: Your Windows 10 upgrade plans?

Rick Brewster

I'm curious as to what everyone's plans for upgrading to Windows 10 are? (remember: it's a free upgrade, at least for the first year. available at the end of July, iirc)

Will you upgrade immediately? Within a few months? Years? Never? Don't care? Do care but not motivated enough? Other thoughts?

One thing that's always been a ball-and-chain around the neck of Windows developers has been the fragmentation of user bases across multiple Windows generations. For instance, if you wrote an app in 2010 then you still had to support Windows XP. Because it cost money to upgrade you couldn't expect your users/customers to have upgraded. Only once enough users upgraded and you weren't cutting too many people out of the loop was it feasible to bump up the system requirements of your app.

However, with the introduction of Windows 8.1 as a free upgrade, this equation changed. I stopped testing on Windows 8 once 8.1 came out because any problem that 8 had that was fixed in 8.1 could be fixed by just installing the free upgrade. For instance, there is a bug in Windows 8, but not 8.1, that causes the Paint.NET title bar to flicker. I had a workaround for 8 but I removed it once 8.1 came out (the code was an ugly hack). If someone were to report that bug to me then my fix for them would be to install Windows 8.1 (thankfully in this case it's solely a cosmetic bug caused by Windows 8's DWM).

If Windows 10 adoption is going to be swift, and since it's a free upgrade from Windows 7, 8, 8.1, then it may make sense to start using functionality only available in Windows 10 and to require it. There are enhancements in Direct2D and DirectWrite that aren't available in Windows 7, for instance, that would be fun to start experimenting with.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I'm considering it. The only thing holding me back is the question of whether or not it will involve a full system wipe, and I haven't gotten around to looking that up.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

On my personal laptop, Windows 7 has prompted me to reserve my copy of the free Windows 10 upgrade.

I have not clicked the button to accept yet, but I will very soon.

So, I'll be updating as soon as it is available.

As for my work systems...  :roll:

BTW, I think this is a smart move by Microsoft.  They will probably save a ton of money by not having to support Windows 7 like they lost supporting Win XP for so long.  And, they'll still make money selling Windows 10 on new PC sales.

I'm updating all Win 8.1 machines because in Windows 8 Microsoft (or HP, Lenovo, and Dell) introduced again the BlueScreen feature (after removing it in XP and 7 ;-) Hope this solves the issue. We have to test.

Will not update any Win 7. The risk is too high that auto update in 10 will introduce performance loss in the future for older machines. You know the problem if you are running MacOS machines. It's nice that a new OS version supports older hardware, but it's not nice if the overall performance of the device is slower afterwards than before.

Still running some XPs 24/7. They are just doing their job.

midoras signature.gif

Do we really have a choice? I'm sorry but microsoft keeps forcing these windows upgrades on us when fixing what they have would be better. Windows 7 is the last good os they have made and I will hate being forced to upgrade when they discontinue it. As far as I'm concerned the windows 8 style platforms are junk and a pain in the neck. 

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

Do we really have a choice?

Indeed you do have a choice, opt out of the upgrade, don't click the icon near your clock. There is also articles in the interweb regarding how you can prevent reminders to upgrade too. :)

For my PC, I plan to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 on the available date (July 29 I believe) As for my Laptop running Windows 7, I have no plans to upgrade that, I have my DAW software / VST's and a lot of other music related things on that, it runs pretty sweet as it is and to be fair I only connect to the internet once a month for updates (if any) My PC started life out as a Vista machine and performs fairly quick on Windows 8.1, so I don't see any issues with Windows 10 on it either, If so I will just buy more ram and perhaps a better graphics card (if needed)

@pdnnoob - Again from what I have read, the install option can be either a drive wipe install or the option to keep your files / folders / settings, but this is only what I have read on non microsoft forums / websites ;)

Edited by DrewDale

BREtKQW.png

I plan to wait for some feedback, but I expect to upgrade my desktop, where I do most of my Paint.NET play, from Win 8.1 to Win 10 fairly soon after the upgrade is available.

It was only last Friday that I upgraded my (2007) laptop from Win XP to Win 7. I suspect I'll have to bury it pretty soon in the same suit.

Xkds4Lh.png

Since I have only just got windows 8, I have installed Pdn4 and VS 2013 but not too much else on the new laptop yet. I have reserved W10 and will update at the end of July (hopefully).
Love the (new to me) Pdn4 btw. B)

My desktop will remain Vista, running Pdn 3.5.11, codelab v1.8 and VS 2010. :)

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

I'm wary of that upgrade icon. I have a perfectly sound Win7 system that I like, so I haven't clicked it.

Now if I was sure there was a roll-back option - I would update without question.

On a slightly older dual core is Win10 going to impress me or not?

I'll have to investigate....

Driver support, slow connection and program compatibility are holding me back from the upgrade. I wish that its possible to do a clean install of Windows 10 using an ISO burned to a disk or flashdrive but using a Windows 7 license key for example. The "upgrade" install is prone to issues as its like putting fresh cake on an otherwise unwashed plate.

For older programs that I try to run on Windows 8.1 (such as a game 14 years old), I had to use the "Compatibility settings" on Windows for that individual program by right-clicking the program's .exe file, then Properties>>Compatibility. I would, for instance try to run it as compatibility for Windows 98 or Windows 2000 because those were the OSs that programs made around 2001 were suited for. Whether or not this solves incompatibility issues is uncertain and not many people even know about this option let alone try to discover it.

But perhaps the future PDN v.4.06 and above would be adjusted for Windows 10. PDN v.4.05 is what I use and so far there is this bug that won't let me render a gradient or the brush wouldn't do anything at random that I have to save my work, close and restart PDN. The v.3.5.10 was the most stable version I remember using. 

Anyone who has had a decent experience upgrading to a new OS knows there'd be problems or even headaches waiting along the way. Hope it goes well for us PDN users.

Edited by Ishi

I recently got a new computer to replace my ancient XP system. I had a choice between Windows 7 and 8, and chose 7 because I resented the desktops-are-just-big-smartphones philosophy behind Windows 8. I've heard MS has mended they're ways in Windows 10, but will probably wait to update until I hear some general user reaction.

There aren't any features in Windows 10 that are compelling me to upgrade from Windows 7.

I'll upgrade on the day that a piece of software requires me to be running Windows 10... whether that piece of software is a new version of paint.net or a fancy new DirectX 12 game, it won't make a difference.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

For my main desktop, within couple of days of release if not on the first day. Already got Insider Preview on my little netbook.

sig.jpg.7f312affa740bae49243c4439bc4a244.jpg

Indeed you do have a choice, opt out of the upgrade, don't click the icon near your clock. There is also articles in the interweb regarding how you can prevent reminders to upgrade too.  :)

We had that choice with XP once too,lol

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

Honestly, I would strongly dislike seeing my beloved paint.net require win10.

I think some of my machines will always be win7, as win7 is my favorite OS.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about win10. Win10 looks great, but I don't really trust Microsoft's unknown plans for Win10 in the next 2 or 3 years.

I will sit, wait, and watch for a while. I probably won't upgrade my current machines to win10, but I don't know what I will do if I get a new PC. At the moment, I am wanting to upgrade my current win7 32bit to win7 64bit so I can have more ram. But my seeking to upgrade is still a matter being looked into, and it's taking a long time. I don't know how long it will take till I can finally update my current PC, but by the time I can update it, I might simply get a new PC instead. If I get a new PC, I don't know what OS I will end up with, since I have to be budget conscious. You can get great deals on PCs from some websites, but many of those great deals come with older operating systems. I like win7, so I have no issues getting a new Win7. If I get a PC with win8.1, I would want to use a program called "Classic Shell" to make win8.1 user friendly. If win10 is looking good and safe by the time I get a new PC, then I might consider win10.

Personally, I would prefer paint.net stays functional for previous versions of windows.

Here are some other thoughts to consider regarding paint.net...
- Paint.net is a program that many simple or little people like to use, but us little people are the ones who don't always follow trends. (little people, as in people who don't do all the main stream stuff, people with a small voice, basic people, some people who don't do social media, some people who don't use PCs often, my parents, and young children, or elders, etc. (I see lots of kids doing youtube videos on win7 with outdated versions of paint.net who probably won't be win10 users all too soon. And I have noticed a good handful of elders who still use windows xp.)

- Paint.net is enjoyed by many people who are on a tight budget since it is free, thus the people using paint.net tend to have older machines or avoid software that require lots of money. (as win10 is further developed, it might become a bad choice for low budget consumers.)

- I realize it would be more work to keep paint.net compatible with win7, but I would prefer to keep what is good, rather than lose to gain, as better said from this quote from a wikipedia page about a PC game, “people strongly prefer avoiding losses than acquiring gains". This has proven very true in many cases for various things that I've seen.  A lot of people don't like change. For some examples, I've seen a lot of people love the Nintendo Wii and not take a liking to the Wii U. I've seen a lot of people love the sims 3 and hate the sims 4 with lots of rage. I've seen windows 7 become an OS favorite, while windows 8 made a lot of very unhappy customers. Win10 will attempt to win over win7 customers, but I don't know how successful they'll be, seeing as how transitions from xp have been slow for a fair number of people.

My thoughts about Win10 and Microsoft. (This has very little to do with paint.net, if you choose to read this, please don't judge me or my concerns. Thanks. :))

Hidden Content:
I think windows 10 looks great, but I also think it's suspicious.
- After Microsoft's free upgrade year, I keep thinking, “then what?”. I realize Microsoft has tried a little bit to say there aren't plans to make win10 subscription based, but I honestly don't know how true that is, especially for certain versions of windows 10.

- I don't like it when companies try to force personal information out of people, and there are some places where Microsoft is starting to do that, even if it's as small as a phone number or address, for example, a Microsoft Account requires a phone number. A lot of places like to force you to give your phone number, as they claim it's for your safety, but I don't trust what the companies do with those numbers once they have them. The phone numbers might protect our accounts from other people, but what is protecting us and our privacy from the companies themselves?

- I don't like how an internet connection will possibly be a requirement for windows 10. For example, they are pushing very hard for everyone to have a Microsoft Account in order to log-in. I have seen where you can log-in with other emails, but you will still need an internet connection. Yes, you can make a local account, but I could see them making it so you can't make a local account until after you've made a Microsoft login account (or email login) first. Also, the way of making a local account is currently very hidden.

- I understand how Microsoft would want to usher everyone all onto one operating system for business money reasons and to simplify things. However, I would hope win10 doesn't go subscription based, but even if it doesn't become subscription based, I'm assuming a sales tactic will have people pay for every little personal item they want. Things that have been basic windows default programs might not be default programs anymore and might only be available as additional purchases, or a Microsoft account might be required in order to download the programs.

- Sadly, I think win7 will be Microsoft's last good OS that is practical, user friendly, clean, and bloatware free. I think win10 will have a lot of bloatware and gimmicks, I think down the road it will have a lot of requirements that force everyone to fit to their ideals, and I don't think win10 will care about the little people.

When it comes to paint.net, I would hope it doesn't close it's doors to people who don't, won't, or can't upgrade to win10. I know paint.net has had to put a dead X on windows xp, and I know eventually it will do the same for win7, but hopefully not for a while.

If at some point paint.net does become more strict on it's requirements, then maybe there could be a way to make an old version open source. I don't know, it's just an idea. Please don't be upset at the idea, I just would want paint.net to stay alive for win7 users. I love paint.net so much, that reguardless of what OS I use, I want to enjoy paint.net and it's plugins as it continues to grow.

Thanks so much for paint.net, and thank you plugin developers, paint.net with it's plugins is a one of a kind and a great program.  :) Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

... maybe there could be a way to make an old version open source...

Already done.... I think you may be forgetting that until v3.5, paint.net was in fact free software. It licensed under the MIT License. However, I personally think people would be better off using Pinta rather than a pre-v3.5 copy of paint.net

Anyway, would this even be necessary? There's nothing stopping you or I from running v4.0.5 on Windows 7 indefinitely. Unless, by "alive" you mean actively maintained.... in which case, you could disregard my statement...

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

I still don't even know if I'll qualify for the free upgrade. Asked on Windows' Twitter, but the responses weren't helpful.

Everyone talks about upgrading on the same machine but nobody seems to ask about upgrading to a whole new PC. I plan to custom build a new PC when Windows 10 is released, so, do I get Windows 10 for free? Nobody seems to know.

But I do plan to upgrade ASAP if possible.

Everyone talks about upgrading on the same machine but nobody seems to ask about upgrading to a whole new PC. I plan to custom build a new PC when Windows 10 is released, so, do I get Windows 10 for free? Nobody seems to know.

Nope.

That's not an upgrade. That's a fresh install. Microsoft still charges for those.

Nope.

That's not an upgrade. That's a fresh install. Microsoft still charges for those.

Well that sucks. But I could still buy a cheap copy of 7/8 and upgrade for free that way, right?

I've done a bit more digging around.  There's a Preview version around that likely contains bugs.  It would do to get a feel of Win 10 for those nervous about the differences from their present version.

I've reserved a copy of the Upgrade.  My plan is to first install it on a netbook I don't care about.  I'll use it for a week or two then decide if I want my main desktop to work the same way.

I feel myself comfortable in Win10 since first betas in 2014. And I updated all my home computers and server to it (server - to Win Server version).  As a VS2015 .Net developer I like to see the rise of the OS and hope that most people will love it like Win7. Free upgrade will give massive installs and new continuous integration of fixes and features will allow MS to fix problems in the OS right after  users give first massive feedback.

However... there are situations, when no matter how good the new OS is, but  I want to be just absolutely sure, that the computer I've assemble and tune for other people (not advanced users) will work for years without trouble. And Win7 is rock solid for situations as install and forget. Win10 will be that too, I sure.  but years should past.

• Upvote 1