Diamond Text Effect

Goonfella

This must have taken a good amount of work to adapt. Let's see what we can do to put it to good use LaieA_060.gif

viannen_89.gif

JC_gimmefive.gif

• Upvote 1

Cool technique!  I like this a lot :star:

Thanks Goony.

• Upvote 1

Goonfella and ERR! Thank you for the "Stone 101" tutorial, very nice work and  very good and easy to follow and apply.  8nvfgxla.gif5clobuw8.gif

My result: With Lens Flares.

4f2wtez3.png

Edited by Seerose
  • Upvote 1

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

Max you are right there. The technique I ended up using in the tut is quite different to the one I used for the original image. The method I used to start with tended to give random results and made it tricky to recreate the diamond effect so I had to think of an alternative method which was more consistent and would give the same , or similar, results each time. I never used Fragment or Cell Texture effects in the original and the blend modes of some of the layers are different. Also I never used a blue overlay . Although Apply Texture was used in both.  I actually think the tut method gives an even better result. :)

EER , glad you like it. Are we going to see one of your creations using it? :)

Seerose , nice text but I think it is being drowned out by the Lens Flare and the background texture. I think if you dropped the flare and changed to a darker background your diamonds would look even better. ;)

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Apparently, one road tends to lead to another more often than not :)  I've been doing experiments on how to produce sketchy versions of pictures and through this tutorial I've learned of the existence of the Apply Texture plugin, which I've found to be very useful for adding a dark coloring to the hair section of the sketches I'm working on. Surely there are other ways to do the same, but the one I've discovered to suit my taste benefits from the Apply Texture thingy yes3.gif

Other than that off-topic comment, I'm very grateful for the more consistent newly-discovered diamond method JC_you_rock.gif

Seerose , nice text but I think it is being drowned out by the Lens Flare and the background texture. I think if you dropped the flare and changed to a darker background your diamonds would look even better. ;)

@Goonfella!  I'll try again next week again. Yes, with background of dark colors work better. Thanks again for the tutorial.  m4bl2rpg.gif

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

End%20Result_zpsfxeqtgmc.png

Sadly, the best I could manage.
You don't mention where the blue layer and the new layer added after that goes in the stack and also I don't know how to add random sparkes to it either,

sorry it's a great tute, just difficult for me to follow :(

• Upvote 2

ZXCBOoZ.png

Sorry you found the tut a bit tricky Nitenurse. I have added a better explanation about where to add the new layers in steps 8&9 concerning the blue overlay and the cell texture layers. Hopefully this will avoid any confusion in the future.  ;)

For the sparkles there is always the Custom BrushesMini plugin , TR`s Star Filter or Madjik`s Sparkle Effect plugins. I have added a link to Madjik`s version but it`s entirely up to you.

Looking at your image it seems to me that you might have forgotten to use the AA`s Assistant after the Crystalize plugin at step 4 which is why you seem to have a white shadow below the diamonds. AAA gets rid of this. Also , as I mentioned to Seerose , a darker background would set off the diamonds a bit better.

Keep trying. Best of luck  :)

Edited by Goonfella

Great tutorial Goonfella. I have tried to do something like this in the past but never was able to get it quite right until this tute came along. Thanks and here's my try at it;

diamond%20fonts-2-c_zps8vq1tzuz.png

• Upvote 2

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

Thank you @Gooney for such a neat tutorial, especially as diamonds are my first gem of choice :D .

I was a tad confused at step 6 & 7 as you refer to 'first layer' twice ...... but I worked it out in the end.

Also, would be great to add the link to the cell texture Plugin as well.

Many thanks again and herewith my attempt.

xR8aPZL.png

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Interesting use of the tut Pixey. Nice glassy diamonds.

I see what you mean about steps 6 & 7. I do say 'first layer' and 'first ROCK layer' but I can see it could be a bit confusing so as soon as I get the chance I will edit the tut to include the actual names of the layers.

You are right I did forget the Cell Texture. I will fix this as well later. Thanks for the feedback. ;)

Edit - changes made and Cell Texture link included. :)

Edited by Goonfella

iknAnFkK8yHr3.png

Followed the tutorial to the letter, except for: 

Steps 8 & 9 - instead of 0094FF I used FFA3F2 for the pink colour.

Step 9 - because I had the desired colour as primary and white as secondary, I did not select "swap" in the Cell Texture dialog box.

Step 9 - I set the opacity of the Cell Texture layer to 127 (and blend mode at Overlay, as per the tutorial).

For the sparkles at step 10, I used Red ochre's Highlight plugin.

I also tried to produce the same effect using plain white dots (made with the paintbrush) instead of the Dotspecial font. For reasons beyond my comprehension, I could not produce a good result.

So I ended up havimng to copy-paste individual gems from the above PDN file to achieve the result below:

isf8NLT8J5BvD.png

( Photo from: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Marilyn_Monroe_-_publicity.JPG )

To change the hue from pink to blue, I tried a few methods, including Curves and Hue / Saturation.

As it turned out, I got a more pleasing result by using Adjustments -> Cyanotype. The simplest solution is often the best.

EDIT to correct photo link

Edited by Djisves
  • Upvote 2

Xkds4Lh.png

Excellent work Djisves! It`s always nice to see people adapting a tut to get their preferred result. Best way to learn. The B&W image is super. The diamond necklace just needs a bit of a drop shadow to match the rest of the image. Other than that I can`t fault it.  :)

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

The image on my post above is gone. I found it on my HD but now I do not like it. So I  decided to create a new one, hopefully better.

The concept is the same because, after all... what are diamonds if not Marilyn's best friend?

Eretv4h.png

Combined with the Pleasantville Effect tutorial.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Xkds4Lh.png

• 2 years later...

I liked your tut and it blew my mind. I want to use this concept idea in a design.

I think to adopt a cross stitch,  where a square would like to be a 4x4 diamond. And also the line will be only 1 diamond.

Is it possible to be made automatically or only manually one by one square?

I will be very grateful if someone guides me with any tutorial.

Thank you in advance for the time you are giving me.

My First Idea.jpg

Edited by unikalman