Looking for Subtle Adjustments!

Hi -- I am extremely impressed and happy to find this great software, and thanks.

I feel as though my hands are tied sometimes when I use it. I want a fade function. For pretty much everything. You do "auto levels" and there's no way to dial it back a little. At least I couldn't find one.

When I paste one image on top of another image, I want to be able to adjust how much of the bottom image is seen through the top. When I tried to reduce opacity under the layers menu, the image broke into a checkerboard!

Are there ways to do these things that I've just missed? I'm new at using it.

Thanks again!

Lily

When you paste, use Paste into New Layer. You can then adjust the opacity of that layer. If you just do a regular Paste, the selection layer will be in the same as the layer you paste it into, so adjusting the opacity will affect both the same. Once you get the selection (pasted as a new layer) where you want it, you can readjust its opacity and if you no longer want it to be in a separate layer, you can either merge down the layer or flatten the image.

Edited by MJW
  • Upvote 1

Hi. :)

The checkerboard pattern = transparency.

A good way to blend images together is to have each image on it's own layer. Then lower the opacity of the top image. If you want your image to be softer, place your image on one layer and have a white background on another layer underneath your image's layer, then lower the opacity of your image layer.

In case you haven't seen it, you can learn more about working with layers here : http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/WorkingWithLayers.html

• Upvote 1

What Maximilian pointed you to was a plugin. Plugins are great things that really add a lot of neat stuff to paint.net. You can learn how to install plugins here : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/1708-how-to-install-pluginsgeneral-plugin-troubleshooting-thread/

I recommend exploring the plugin section of the forums to get a better idea of what they are. Some people love adding more effects and adjustments to paint.net, while other people tend to like paint.net to be as basic as possible. I personally love plugins. <3

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Effect plugins should be placed in the Effects folder located in the Paint.NET install directory.

See HOW TO INSTALL PLUGINS/General Plugin Troubleshooting Thread for more information.

As the above thread mentions this forum is the only safe place to download plugins.

• Upvote 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Can I assume that any URL with paint.net are safe? Like: <snip>?

You should only download from this forum. Most other websites will give you viruses, paint.net/amihotornot is guilty for having infected downloads, such as it's megalo pack. You can read about the nasty virus here : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/28270-megalo-virus/

• Upvote 1

Can I assume that any URL with paint.net are safe? Like: ?

Absolutely not that one. Just remember Megalo=Virus! As Fuzzy has correctly said - only ever download plugins from this forum or from links placed here by the plugin author..