paint.net tool and menu bar

This isn't a plugin but this seems like the best place for this. I really like the interface of paint.net... more specifically the toolbar and menu up top. Is the control library that is used to create the tool/menu bar available anywhere or were the custom made and closed sourced? I'd love to use it for some applications I am writing in C#.

Thank you!

What are you using for development, duckwizzle? Visual Studio Community 2013 is a fine development system, and it's free for most uses. If you're using it, changing the fonts, background, etc. is nothing more than changing a property in the WYSIWYG WinForm editor.

What are you using for development, duckwizzle? Visual Studio Community 2013 is a fine development system, and it's free for most uses. If you're using it, changing the fonts, background, etc. is nothing more than changing a property in the WYSIWYG WinForm editor.

I am actually using Visual Studio 2013 community edition! However, once the control is in the expanded title bar the properties (like background and foreground) don't work. I think I am going to have to inherit the controls and and override the OnDrawItem event and a few others

However, once the control is in the expanded title bar the properties (like background and foreground) don't work. I think I am going to have to inherit the controls and and override the OnDrawItem event and a few others

Why not have the menus outside of the title bar and just have a glass/window-border background behind it? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how paint.net is doing it.

Edited by toe_head2001

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

I am actually using Visual Studio 2013 community edition!

Recommend you have a look at VS 2015 Preview.  It's also free.

Recommend you have a look at VS 2015 Preview.  It's also free.

Will do - this looks awesome!

Why not have the menus outside of the title bar and just have a glass/window-border background behind it? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how paint.net is doing it.

I was thinking they used DwmExtendFrameIntoClientArea to actually expand the title bar... if you click and drag the paint.net window you can tell in the title bar the background design changes which wouldn't happen with a static background image

The amount of work to do this is enormous compared to the value it provides. paint.net 4.0's use of glass looks nice, but I wouldn't have done it that way if I'd known the pain and tears and suffering that would've been involved.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg