Damaged Metal/Starship Hull Texture

Trekker47

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

Having spent some time searching the internet for a guide to making something like a starship hull texture, I came up with pretty much nothing. Maybe I'm just bad at searching, but either way I decided to make my own. It's my first tutorial, so if anyone has any advice or criticism I'd appreciate it.  :)  

This is the texture we're going to create:

72SSejN.png

I did mine on a 2000x2000 pixel canvas, since I intend on using it, but of course it works fine on a smaller one too. (I'll put future images

in spoilers in case some of them aren't needed.)

For this tutorial you'll need:

Random Shape Fill, and Stitch, both from Pyrochild's Plugin Pack

And Basic Adjustments, from Tanel's Plugin Pack

Start with your canvas, and run clouds on scale 250 and roughness 0.75. On the same layer run clouds twice more, but this time with blend mode set to xor.

fCP9NaO.png

On this layer, go to distort > stitch, at a distance of 340 and a width of 3. Make sure that wrap is ticked.

QxCVN37.png

Still on this layer, run a motion blur at an angle of 0 and a distance of 15, making sure that centred is ticked. 

Does this need an img? Best put one in to be safe.

AJ5f1Jd.png

Make a new layer, and go to render > random shape fill, and set the settings close to what I've used, depending on your taste. As far as I'm aware, this is the only step that depends on your canvas size.

I seem to have cut off the top of the interface where it says 'squares', hopefully everyone can see that's what's going on :P

2aSLB2r.png

On your squares layer, go to stylize>relief , at an angle of about -125. I did this 3 times, but you can do it 2-4 really.

Qm9bD5j.png

Still on this layer, go to colour > colour to alpha, and run it at the following settings: Only brightness ticked, from 0 to 252, and a tolerance of 3.

Not sure why I renamed the layer here, hmmm.

dRiUHi4.png

Still on the squares layer, go to photo > basic adjustments, and set it to brightness 20 and black level of -60.

cChkYgH.png

Then set the blend mode to multiply.

oNjGibV.png

Make a new layer, in between the other two. Run clouds at scale 250 and roughness 0.75 again. Set the blend mode of this layer to additive and its opacity to 105 roughly.

MvYOR9t.png

Make another new layer, just above the last one. Render clouds at the same settings as before, and then render them again at scale 470 and roughness 0.15, with a blend mode of colour burn. Then set this layer's blend mode to colour burn.

RLrci67.png

On the same layer, go back to colour to alpha, but this time from 0 to 32, with 0 tolerance, feather at 65 and inverted alpha.

FcfULYA.png

Step 9 involves repeating steps 7 and 8 to make a 5th layer, but leaving the blend mode on normal. It should look something like this:

f3YlEU2.png

You can leave it there, but I went on to set this layer's blend mode to xor (not normal) and ran a gaussian blur of about 90 to it.

3TN3Ya1.png

And that's it! This can probably be played about with (or simplified, since I tend to take the long way 'round).

Thanks for reading this  :D

• Upvote 1

pdnsig_zpsd2501894.png

"It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating." - Jack Handey

I do actually, but I'm an utter noob at 3-D rendering so it's not much to look at  :P Still very much in the learning process, I might post it sometime though, who knows. Thanks for the reply!

pdnsig_zpsd2501894.png

"It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating." - Jack Handey

Great job!I will have a post of this with one of my many 3d ship renders before night gets here.I will use this for sci fi buildings as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Thank you for the tutorial. Learned a lot of things building your hull texture. Now for a ship to put it on B)

hull3.png

MGT9iTs.png

• Upvote 1

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png