Make a Media Button in Paint.net

Pixey

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

ODPSDb3.png

This tutorial has been adapted from a previous one by Mustang2500.

Effects used:

Gaussian Blur
Outline Object
Align Object
AA's Assistant

1. Open a new Image, 800x600 and Fill it with the colour 0038AF.

2. Add a new layer and select the Gradient Tool :GradientTool: pick Radial and Color Mode with color 7DD4F9 and set the secondary color to 0 Alpha. This will make it transparent.

Now, start to make a circle with the Light Blue on the 2nd Layer, starting somewhere around 400,530. End at 400,300.

Select the Gaussian Blur tool :BlurEffect: and set it at 7. This should give the gradient a much nicer blend into the Blue.

GeUJ5QQ.png

3. Merge the two above layers, and call it orb. Select the Eclipse Select tool :EllipseSelectTool: and by holding down the Mouse and Shift, make a circle, about 460x460 pixels wide. Select the Move Selection tool :MoveSelectionTool: and move the circle so the bottom is somewhere in the center of the Light Blue Gradient. Line it up as center as possible, but do NOT use the Align Object tool, it will ruin it. As soon as you have it as good as it will get, Click CTRL + I, and then DELETE. This will leave a Circle, with the Gradient in it.
Use AA's assistant at default.

K2uu5cD.png

4. Now, use the Object Align and make the orb in the center.

5. Duplicate the layer, and call it outer orb. Using the Rectangle Select tool :RectangleSelectTool: select around the circle. Now grab onto the corner, holding down Shift, drag it a little bit, to create the "Border" effect used on the orb. Repeat the Align Object.

6. Go back to the orb layer. Select the Outline Object effect. Set it so Width=10, Softness=254, Color=R(109), G(211) B(255), Make sure Angled isn't checked. This will make a nice glow on the orb. (Make sure you click out of the colors for it to accept the color).

Re-do the Align Center again on both layers.

DawiUuV.pngTmgVMyt.png

7. Now to add the Shine. Add a new layer, call it shine orb.
With the Ellipse Select :EllipseSelectTool: draw a semi circle to cover half of the orb. With the primary color white, set the 2nd color white to 0 opacity Alpha. Draw a linear gradient from the top to the bottom.

BDUJFwy.png

8. Use Ellipse Select :EllipseSelectTool: to make a circle in the center, use Move Pixels Tool :MoveTool: to help you and fill with a radial gradient white and alpha at 0. De-select and Align Center.

Q72VjZ8.png

9. New Layer and draw two black lines in the center horizontally and vertically.

10. New Layer and with the Shape Tool set to a Circle and Draw Shape Outline, draw
two black circles.

8i5zDyn.png8YMwPBz.png

11. Merge the two layers.

12. Make sure to erase any black lines that overlap onto the outside glow area.

ZtjJ0zI.png

13. With the magic wand :MagicWandTool: on the black lines layer, select the upper left quadrant.
Make a New Layer and fill it with two different colors of red with a linear gradient. With the gradient still selected, make a new layer and Bevel Selection at default.
Merge the two layers and Gaussian Blur at default.

9fuGTlg.png

14. Do this with each quadrant, using a different color, each time going back to the lines layer first to pick the quadrant, then make a new layer each time for the color gradient and another for the bevel - then merging and blurring as the steps in 13.

15. When you've finished all the colors go to the lines layer and Gaussian blur twice.

hzvrlRq.png

16. Go to the lines layer and with Ellipse select draw a circle over the center lines and hit delete.

jmQ4tT5.png

17. Go to each quadrant layer and Gaussian Blur at default.

18. Flatten the image (uncheck your background if you used one).

19. New Layer for the Triangle. With a blue color 1F4BA1 and using Text Wingdings 3 with the letter P on your keyboard at size 216 draw a triangle.

20. Use the Rectangle Select :RectangleSelectTool: and move selection tool :MoveSelectionTool: to manipulate the triangle to fit in the center.

4UgF5XD.png

21. With magic wand select the triangle.

22. Make a new layer below the blue triangle and fill with black for a shadow.

Using Rectangle Select :RectangleSelectTool: and Move Selected Pixels :MoveTool: pull and stretch the black triangle.

Gaussian blur at 6 and lower the opacity.

7Q6SdJP.png

23. Flatten the image.

24. Make a new layer for a final shine.

25. With Ellipse select draw a circle over the orb and fill with a linear gradient with the primary color black and secondary white at Alpha (0)

Zrv5cKc.png

26. With Ellipse select and Move Selected Pixels make an oval over the black gradient and hit delete.

27. Gaussian blur at default and lower the opacity to about 36.
Merge the layers.

yO218w2.png

28. You can add one more shine on a new layer over the triangle by adding a white spot with the brush and using Gaussian Blur to 26.

Merge and you are done!

ODPSDb3.png

• Upvote 4

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Beautiful. A wonderful tutorial. +1.

@racerx has a good point: I'd like to ask for a PDF attachment - if possible. Please? (I can assist if you need help here Pixey).

Thanks so much @toe-head, @racerx and @EER.

I have now attached a PDF  ;) .  It will ask you if Imgur is safe when you try to click on the thumbs though.

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

The main reason I download tuts and convert to PDF, is because my main editing PC is not connected to internet for good reason. I like it running good at all times.

The PDF that you posted contains small images and needs to connect to see the larger images. Here is one I made with OpenOffice that contains large images: 

Edited by racerx
  • Upvote 1

Plane_Sig2.gif

I made a Start Button for my donkey. Some days he just doesn't want to get up and go.....

Edited by racerx

Plane_Sig2.gif

@Ishi - hopefully someone will oblige with your request ;)

Thank you @Eli :) .

@racerx - So good of you to make the PDF with the bigger images.  I had no idea that could be done :beer: .

Edit:  @racerx .................. you posted just as I did ................ that Donkey is so cute and has a nose as cute as a button :lol: .  (I used to have a donkey and I loved it to bits).

Edited by Pixey

30b8T8B.gif

@Dear Pixey!   :)  Took me a while to find out how you did this. Very pretty presentation. Thank you very much. n5nq5pyv.gif

mntrthzt.png

Edited by Seerose
  • Upvote 1

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

Would be a good idea if someone could a more "flat", non-aero version of this so suit with the Windows 8 design...

Making it more flat is whole lot easier than you might suspect, and it doesn't need a separate version of the tutorial. Just skip the steps that add the gradients and the sheen/shine.

I have now attached a PDF  ;) .  It will ask you if Imgur is safe when you try to click on the thumbs though.

Is there any special reason the tutorial uses thumbnails in the first place? The images aren't even very large. Having to click through to each one is a nuisance.

Are you just being nice to people that are still on dial-up internet, and people on those cheap laptops with a low 1366x768 resolution?

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Is there any special reason the tutorial uses thumbnails in the first place? The images aren't even very large. Having to click through to each one is a nuisance.

Are you just being nice to people that are still on dial-up internet, and people on those cheap laptops with a low 1366x768 resolution?

The original tutorial had thumbs which I followed, plus I believe this site prefers thumbs which take up less space. 

I could change the original tutorial to have larger images, but I will let a moderator make this decision and let me know which they prefer.

30b8T8B.gif

I have no objection to larger images so long as they're within guidelines (800px).  

I have changed the thumbs to larger images now. Also I have added @racerx's PDF (for which he was so kind to make for me) to the tutorial as well.

I hope this makes better viewing for all :) .

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

Excellent job on the remake Pixey! Looks much better and easier to follow...

P.S. That donkey isn't really mine, but he has stared in some of my comedic productions....

Yes I know I have a twisted sense of humor.

donkey.gif

Plane_Sig2.gif

• 9 months later...

Here's my attempt:

mediabutton_zpspxhvsopf.png

Sorry if it's too large. I know it's uneven in some spots but I tried. Nothing is ever perfect. I also made a few changes. With step 7, I just made the entire circle the white transparent gradient in one shot. Then in step 19 for the triangle I used the the triangle shape when I clicked on the shapes selection and did some maneuvering of the shape to get it like it is in the tutorial. Finally for step 22, I just used the drop shadow plugin.

Edited by mackenzieh