Thank You Moderators

I have recieved an email from Pixey reporting that she, Skullbonz, Goonfella and Leif cannot access this site at all. Pixey says she is getting a 'timed out or down for maintenance' message and not a log-in screen?

Any ideas why?

(I am in England, U.K. and not having a problem, I believe Pixey is in the Isle of Mann (U.K.) but Skullbonz is in the U.S.)

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

The spam attack + an influx of bots was causing server issues, so a person from IPB stepped in. The site was down for a bit so the bots would have nowhere to go. A large number of them gave up after that, so things are looking better. The period where your accounts were suspended was when that happened.

At least that's my understanding in layman's terms. The admins know how things work a little better than I do.

• Upvote 2

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I have recieved an email from Pixey reporting that she, Skullbonz, Goonfella and Leif cannot access this site at all. Pixey says she is getting a 'timed out or down for maintenance' message and not a log-in screen?

Any ideas why?

(I am in England, U.K. and not having a problem, I believe Pixey is in the Isle of Mann (U.K.) but Skullbonz is in the U.S.)

pdnnoob has answered this very well. Users should be able to log on as normal when the situation descalates.

No you lot haven't been banned as a result of the forum awards! :mrviolet:

FLYpvaj.gif

The site has been inaccessible all day for me, I get the permanent message:

XqcEEf1.jpg

So I used a proxy, which worked for some time and then got the same message. Since then, I’ve been switching proxies constantly that get blocked after a while.

All things are difficult before they are easy.  (Thomas Fuller)

My signature was really annoying, so BoltBait deleted it. I should probably read rule #13 of the forum rules.

Spam attack is still going on, in a way. Still have over 900 "guests" accessing the forum ... normal is more like 100 or 200.

Since you have to login to view the forum now, those "guests" are just bouncing off the site. Constantly. Classic DDoS as far as I can tell.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Please note that due to the ongoing spam attack, I've set the board to require logging in even to view anything.

Hello Rick, I am upset with the spam attack. But I am also sad to see that the forum is now visible only to members. Though this measure will detour spammers I hope it will not chase away users that occasionally drop by.

I take this opportunity to thank you and all the people that contribute and  make of Paint.net a tool accesible to all.

It is indeed annoying but also perplexing why spammers would choose this board -  three others I participate in right now are working fine.

What I don’t understand about the DDoS attack is why the board is accessible from some places but not from others. Also why it is permanently (and not intermittently) inaccessible from where I am. For me, accessibility depends on the proxy I use (see my above post).

My signature was really annoying, so BoltBait deleted it. I should probably read rule #13 of the forum rules.

Firstly I inform that I"m still unable to access the site and have to use proxies. Not a good start to the new year.

Now, as regards bots and spammers, the solution adopted by another board with suceess was not to require login to view the board, as spammers and bots have to log in anyway in order to post.. Instead, a CAPTCHA was introduced for the first 10 posts of a new member, with clarifying notice that it will disappear as soon as the 10 posts are reached so as not to discourage genuine newcomers. But the bots and spammers find this too much trouble and go elsewhere.

llNqibq.gif

YAY - I finally got on here, but it's via a Proxy server at the moment! Thank you all for your help, especially @Redochre who has been keeping me informed. I know that @Sasha and @Barbieq still cannot connect via their normal servers, as myself.

Keep up the great work chaps :)

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I was content to wait until the problem was resolved. No problem signing in either if that's what it takes. Thanks for your hard work Rick.  :)

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

Some IP addresses were blocked in bulk to try and quell the spam. Looks like your IP address was in one of the ranges that were blocked.

As things return to normal the blocks should become unnecessary. I've suggested blocked users could be unblocked on an individual basis if they submitted their IP address. No response yet on whether this is feasible.

Will keep you updated...