Changing text color in .PNG image with a full transparency layer

Hi,

I read the Rules and the FAQs.

I can't find any way to do what I'm trying for hours or days.

I have a very basic image in PNG format. This image includes only one Layer with the following options : Visible -> OK, Fusion Mode -> Normal, Opacity: 255. Onto this Layer, I just have a very basic word in blue color with an opacity = 255 mean 100% transparent.

I would like a new image with the exact same word, with the exact same size, font, font-size, ajust, etc. but with an other color (color white, because I'll put this image in an dark background html page). So, using the pencil or/and the pen, and or the brush, (all configured with the expected/wanted white color), I tried to color the text in white. Pixel by pixel, or zone by zone. But unfortunatly, this is not easy and the result is not the best (terrible).

I also tried the Menu "Adjustment" -> Invert Color and it worked good... but with an unwanted color (something like orange). Throuth this process menu "Invert Color", is there any way to choose the wanted color ?

Or, is there any other way to get the wanted result ?

Thx.

Edited by JinxK

Hi JinxK! ;)

If understand you correctly you want to change the colour of opaque text (an object) surrounded by transparent pixels (shown as a chequer-board pattern if only one layer)?

My 'Object2colour' plugin can do that - it's it my plugin pack - link in my 'sig'. Once installed it is found under the Effect/Object menu. Remember to save as a .png to keep the surrounding transparency.

Hope that's what you meant? :/

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

If the image is, outside of the text itself, transparent, then you can simply use the Brightness and Contrast adjustment twice (once if the original text color is light).

Settings #1: brightness 100, contrast 0 (if text is light colored, skip this one)

Settings #2: brightness 100, contrast 100

If you have a non-transparent background, try the conditional hue/saturation plugin in this plugin pack: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/13003-evans-effects-open-source-as-of-october-16-2012/?hl=%2Bconditional+%2Bhue

or you can try the recolor tool

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Hi,

Thank you all.

Your plug-in, Red ochre, works good but the result looks like to "strong" and not enouth "smoothed" (french mother tongue, I dont know the best word) but the final result is not too bad.

However the menu Adjustment > Black and White followeb by Adjustment > Brithness / Contrast, as suggested by BoltBaint and Pdnnoob, give a perfect result. Hovewer this result work fine only with White. Is there any way to get this perfect result with an othor color ? Green, Red, etc. ???

'Object2Colour' works as I intended, keeping the alpha values of the edge (anti-aliased) pixels and only changing the colours.
See test - unaltered text on left. Zoom in to see the anti-aliased (edge pixels).
fTkTl0B.png
Make sure nothing is selected :Deselect:(the magic wand could cause problems as it may not select all the edge pixels).
If your text is on its own transparent layer it is not necessary to select anything.
Bonne année! (Happy new year). ;)

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Hi Red ochre,

I did not use the Object2colour option/menu but the menu "Color > Recolour choice". May be the "color detection method" combo-box is bad configured (several option between H S & V, B G & R, euclidien method, etc. ).

I've just tried the Object2Colour menu, as you mentionned, and it's absolutly perfect. I can do the exact thing I want with the quality wanted. Thank you very much.

Happy new year, too (Bonne année aussi).

Edited by JinxK

For changing any color to another,  not necessarily text, on any background, not necessarily transparent,  you can simply use the Recolor tool, 8th down the right hand side.

I haven't tried the Object2colour, but I will now that I've read about it, with thanks to Red ochre.

All things are difficult before they are easy.  (Thomas Fuller)

My signature was really annoying, so BoltBait deleted it. I should probably read rule #13 of the forum rules.