Pasting screenshots and text is blury if I resize

jnutt

I'm am taking screen shots that will go into a ms word tutorial.  I need to resize the image usually and after I do the image is blurry, expecially the text.  Any tips on how to minimize the blur? 

Thanks!

Try Effects > Photo > Sharpen following the resize. Use a small value, perhaps 1 or 2.

Have you actually used the Image>>Resize option? Its on the menu bar and you just have to set a new value for width or height. You must also have "maintain aspect ratio" checked if you do this.

It works much better than trying to resize the picture manually, using the resizing handles and then cropping the image.

Thanks, I did use the resize option but its still blurry.  Maybe I'm trying to do something thats possible?  I'm not really sure how image editing works.  What are my best options/approaches for resizing an image and keeping it's quality?

If you're trying to use whole screenshots, then I'd recommend a different approach. Crop your image so only the significant parts are visible, then you can use it with no or very little resizing. You may need to use more images instead of one big, but I think the quality you can gain this way would make up for it.

Resize down by a factor of two.  1/2 size, 1/4 size, 1/8 size etc..... This makes sure that an even number of pixels are polled in order to arrive at the output pixel values.  Always use the same factor for both height and width - I'd use the % scale.

What are the before and after dimensions?

If you wanna take a quick screenshot of only a portion of the screen, I suggest you use the Snipping Tool. Windows 7 and Windows 8 should have it by default. Just type it on the Start Menu search box. By then, you might not need to resize the screenshot anymore and risk losing image quality.

Have you tried taking the screen shot, then saving the image, and then resizing the image? Perhaps the format makes a difference, such as pdn or png.

Also, is it safe to assume you are using the key “Print Screen” on your keyboard to get your screen shots? If you are using something other than your keyboard to take the screenshot, then there might be settings or something that could effect the image's format and/or quality.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Read this

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo