How to Install Plugins ×

TR's Custom Random Filler (January 28th, 2015)

TechnoRobbo

Love the last update. The plugin is very practical and complete so it is hard to think of something else to add. The use of sprites is great. However, it takes some time to make them. I wonder if something could be done to facilitate the creation of "tiled sprites" as MadDugan's plugin are linear and extra steps are needed to obtain a usable spritesheet.

Thanks for all the work.

Edited by Eli

• 3 months later...

Version 1.0.5+ Ready for Download

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/30002-trs-custom-random-filler-january-27th-2015/?p=416696

v1.5.0.+ New "No Overlap" option

Since images are rectangles, a Rotation of Zero and Rotation Range of zero give the tightest packing of objects!!! Try re-scaling to fit more objects in the image.

The plugin will try 10000 times to place the next image, if your criteria is too strict (image too large, too many objects , selection too small) it will not place the image. 

CRFNoLap.png?raw=1

• Upvote 2

Go out there and be amazing. Have Fun, TR
TRsSig.png?raw=1
Some Pretty Pictures Some Cool Plugins

@TechnoRobbo! Thank you so very much for the new version and for posting this. :cake:  :mtdew:

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

This is not working the same as it was before, any chance of uploading an earlier version ? None of the settings seem to function as before, I am using a 250x250 px image on a 1024x768 canvas and all I am getting is only a few random scattered variations, plus it's taking a long time to even render a few :(

ZXCBOoZ.png

Thanks TR, I baked some doughnuts (and Cheerios) for you.  :)

doughnuts-sky-49a977d.png

I have one litle request. Everytime I run the plugin it forgets the folder where I got my png and defaults to My Documents. Can you add that feature so that it remembers the last used folder?

• Upvote 3

This is not working the same as it was before, any chance of uploading an earlier version ? None of the settings seem to function as before, I am using a 250x250 px image on a 1024x768 canvas and all I am getting is only a few random scattered variations, plus it's taking a long time to even render a few  :(

is Constrain to Selection  or  No Overlap checked? It sounds like the plugin is trying to meet the criteria and after 10000 tries it cannot hence the long render. the previous version tried to honor "constrain to selection" and if it could not then it would surrender and draw the image anyways.  I'ts re-tries were limited to 3000

I'll add an option to surrender 

TRsSig.png?raw=1

Version 1.5.1.+ Ready for download

this includes a surrender mode -

In regular mode it will not place an image that does not fit the settings but it will make 10000 attempts per image clone to try fit the image.

In Surrender Mode if the plugin is required use settings that limit it's options for image placement it will make 3000 attempts then surrender and place the image in a random location.

(Code Name NiteNurse79 Mode)

• Upvote 3

TRsSig.png?raw=1

Thank you Mister Techno Robbo for the new feature. (could also be code name blonde mode :lol: )
I made this from a planetoid image I created :)

coloured%20planets_zpsrmprpyn7.png

• Upvote 6

ZXCBOoZ.png

• 1 year later...

This is an excellent plugin, but there is one additional feature I wish it had: the option of using the image in the clipboard in place of a file. That would make editing the fill images easier.

EDIT: While I'm at it (making a pest of myself), I'll mention two other other changes I'd like. First, I wish the rotation range were always a positive value that represented a +/- range., so that a 0 Rotation would produce objects that on the average point in the original direction no matter what the range. Second, I wish the Shrink Max were a value from some small value to 1, with that value being the maximum reduction from the scaled size. The default would be 1. If the value were 0.5, the smallest fill objects would be half the scaled size. That seems to me to be more intuitive. (Perhaps it would need to be renamed.)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having so much fun with this plugin! Thank you. But I'm having some problems with a couple of the features:

1) the no overlap feature still always seems to have overlapping images if there are more than just a few

2) the constrain to selection feature does not seem to work - images still go over the edge

3) every time I go to "get" my PNG image, it always starts in the document library (I'm on Win 7) rather than remembering where I got the image from last time. Or is that what is supposed to happen?

Am I doing something wrong? I would upload a screenshot, but I'm not sure how to. I have the latest version of pdn.

Thanks Jeanette

1) the no overlap feature still always seems to have overlapping images if there are more than just a few

try shrinking the sprites they may be too big and the algorithm times out.

2) the constrain to selection feature does not seem to work - images still go over the edge

don't use it with no overlap it

every time I go to "get" my PNG image, it always starts in the document library (I'm on Win 7) rather than remembering where I got the image from last time. Or is that what is supposed to happen?

yes it doesn't write to the registry

TRsSig.png?raw=1

Thanks for your quick reply TechnoRobbo.

1) How big is too big? I have 2x2 sprites in a 400 pixel square. It seems to work really quickly ... I did make them even smaller (200px) and they still overlap with 12 as the fill count, even though there is more room for them. I would ideally like to use bigger images though. Is that possible?

2) Ahh. That works now, except every time I hit the randomize button, all the images clump together. They don't seem to want to spread out at all!

3) Oh. Right.

• 10 months later...

This is absolutely amazing but if I may add a suggestion to this otherwise great plugin?

An option for seamless filling. That would make creating textures for games infinitely easier. Heck I would even pay for it, if you accept €.

Roos-Skywalker%20close%20up.jpg

Hi @RoosSkywalker - I'm afraid that @TechnoRobbo is no longer active on this site, so any modifications to the Plugin are not very likely :(.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 2 years later...

Having only just discovered this application , what a marvelous repository this plugins page and in particular what brilliant work you do!

Thank you sincerely

JP

• 1 year later...