Advanced Smudging

FotoFactory

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

I found this neat trick from the Smudge tool pyrochild made.

This tutorial shows how you can use smudge to your advantage by creating your 

own brushes. It will take you through a step by step process of how to create, save and 

use a custom brush for smudge.

Requirements:

Pyrochild plugins:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=7291

Step 1.

cUr4RZ1.png

Step 2.

4iVqWQt.png

Step 3.

YYdWTh3.png

Step 4.

eZvTR5A.png

Step 5.

QD9V3sP.png

Step 6.

3NE6EVR.png

Step 7.

o0hwYCJ.png

Step 8.

WA75e7N.png

Step 9.

rZ8B8PA.png

Get smudging! :)

Smudges I made are attached here.

post-135588-0-34140300-1409476675_thumb.

post-135588-0-63688600-1409476680_thumb.

post-135588-0-16474100-1409476687_thumb.

• Upvote 6

Here's my sig.(Click it now!)

AeEEeGO.png

Hi, it's me. I like experimenting with PDN to make really cool effects. I also like to

code in HTML and Lua. I like PC games and making youtube videos to show

my friends. Nice meeting you! See you later.

I didn't know this!  Thank you for posting it :star:

I have been using this feature of smudge tool for a long time. I'm surprised that many have not tried this. By the way, brushes with few random dots makes very good looking realistic hair (give it a try )and curves like sine wave makes nice ripples on image. :)

Rl7un0O.png

I found this neat trick from the Smudge tool pyrochild made.

@FotoFactory! It is so very cool, thank you. 

I too have been using this method to paint my portraits, as I can use skin texture brushes with the smudge :)

Dear Pixey! I need your help: I've been using the same name 2 Paint.Net folder. Which folder? Right or left? l4vy4vjk.gif

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

@FotoFactory! It is so very cool, thank you. 

Dear Pixey! I need your help: I've been using the same name 2 Paint.Net folder. Which folder? Right or left? l4vy4vjk.gif

Sorry @Seerose - could you explain that question a bit more please.  Are you looking for the folder to put the brushes into?

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Pixey! Both folders have "brush folder". I have added two folders brush. Do I have a folder too much?

cuxkhoeu.png

psr86nh2.png

2ajzfx35.png

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

@Seerose - don't worry about having too many folders for brushes. 

But, it's important which one you use for the Smudge brushes. 

Put the saved .png brushes into the Smudge Folder of the 3rd screen shot you showed in your post.  Then when you are in Paint.net open Smudge and do as @FotoFactory says in step 5.

Good Luck :)

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

@Seerose - don't worry about having too many folders for brushes. 

But, it's important which one you use for the Smudge brushes. 

Put the saved .png brushes into the Smudge Folder of the 3rd screen shot you showed in your post.  Then when you are in Paint.net open Smudge and do as @FotoFactory says in step 5.

Good Luck :)

@ Pixey! Finally hats worked. Thank you for your help.  <3  xlo3uw99.gif

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

I'm glad you people liked it! :)

AeEEeGO.png

Hi, it's me. I like experimenting with PDN to make really cool effects. I also like to

I have been using this feature of smudge tool for a long time. I'm surprised that many have not tried this. By the way, brushes with few random dots makes very good looking realistic hair (give it a try )and curves like sine wave makes nice ripples on image. :)

Same here. I used this a while back in this image (for the fur around the edges):

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/pdnnoob/furry_zps39c5f25c.png

I coulda sworn someone around here had a tutorial that used this...but alas, I cannot find one. Glad you filled the gap, Foto!

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I coulda sworn someone around here had a tutorial that used this...but alas, I cannot find one. Glad you filled the gap, Foto!

Your memory is quite correct @pdnnoob - there was is a tutorial about this by @Ella http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/27207-bat-and-angel-wings/

Edited by Pixey

30b8T8B.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! I'm gonna link to this from the Smudge thread.

Many thanks :)

AeEEeGO.png

• 1 month later...

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/317/0/1/perspective_lost_by_barbieq25-d869guw.png

Started life as 3 lines, smudged with a brush made out of a simple net pattern. What a great tute. Thanks so much FotoFactory!

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

• 11 months later...

I too have been using this method to paint my portraits, as I can use skin texture brushes with the smudge :)

Skin texture brushes? What are those? Where do I find them? How do I install them? And where do I find the smudge?

And where do I find the smudge?

Install Pyrochild's brilliant effects pack. ;)... it's pinned... I believe Smudge is under Effects/Tools.

Installing brushes can get complicated (to explain) but they are normally .png files, so do try making your own, the tutorial above explains more.

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Skin texture brushes? What are those? Where do I find them? How do I install them? And where do I find the smudge?

You can download skin texture brushes from a number of places on the web.  Here is just one on DA.

To install brushes you need to read through this

The smudge tool is a Plugin (which I think I told you about in another thread) and How To Install them can be found here.

As you will see, there is quite a lot of work to get to the stage you want.  It takes time and much patience to get to this.

Once you have done all of the above, you may want to look at this tutorial:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/27207-bat-and-angel-wings/

Also, to see how I use the smudge tool to paint, you can click on either of the two links under my signature to view the process, which takes a lot of time.

Edited by Pixey

30b8T8B.gif

• 2 weeks later...

You can download skin texture brushes from a number of places on the web.  Here is just one on DA.

To install brushes you need to read through this

The smudge tool is a Plugin (which I think I told you about in another thread) and How To Install them can be found here.

As you will see, there is quite a lot of work to get to the stage you want.  It takes time and much patience to get to this.

Once you have done all of the above, you may want to look at this tutorial:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/27207-bat-and-angel-wings/

Also, to see how I use the smudge tool to paint, you can click on either of the two links under my signature to view the process, which takes a lot of time.

Okay, yes, I now have the smudge tool, although I have not yet had a chance to play with it. I think I have installed plugins on a daily basis since I figured out how, courtesy of some of the folks here.

Gulp! All those brushes... can they ALL be used with PDN? I could find uses for them....

I have looked at the bat and angel wing tutorial, but had not yet gotten up the courage to try it. Been trying some other tutorials to get the hang of some things.

Thanks for the links. I will bookmark this.