Image resize / crop in effect plugin

Is it possible to resize or crop an image in an effect?  (or operate like the magic wand and set the current selection area?)   I am developing a plugin with a set of effects to help in my job, one of which is to quickly identify a dialog in a screenshot and crop it (see example image). Given that the overridden Render method is dealing with ROI's (regions of interest) and updating an equally sized destination surface from a source surface, I'm thinking that an effect may not be the best place for this functionality.  

(Workaround: I could get the effect to set everything but the dialog to a single color making the magic wand selection tool with a low tolerance, then a selection inversion, able to identify the region to 'Crop to selection' work cleanly.)

o4o9wcv.png

Hello Bruce - welcome to the forum!

As I understand, you cannot change the selection or canvas size from within a plugin.
The plugin rules are here btw:
http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/13129-rules-for-plugins-that-are-published-on-this-forum/

On my 'Composition tool' plugin I change the unwanted areas to transparent white (bgra = 255,255,255,0) . Once the plugin has run, the user can select this area, invert the selection and crop to selection.

http://orums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/22810-composition-tool/

Hope that helps

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg