How to Install Plugins ×

Color Harmonies (Tools Effect)

midora

::PluginIndex::Effect::Color Harmonies::0.7::2014-07-25::Martin Osieka::Select set of harmonic colors or pick single color::

The 'Color Harmonies' plugin allows to choose a single base color or a harmonic set of colors derived from a base color.

Download

Find the latest version Color Harmonies v0.7 (25.7.2014)              >>   ColorHarmoniesv0.7.zip     <<                   

Installation

- Copy the two files OptionBasedLibrary vX.X.dll/.dlc to the Paint.NET\ folder (NOT to Paint.NET\Effects\ !!!)
- Copy the two files ColorHarmonies.Effect.dll/.dlc to the Paint.NET\Effects\ folder
- Do not remove older versions of the OptionBasedLibrary if they are required from other plugins.

- But do remove older version of the ColorHarmonies effect if it used a different dll name.

After a restart of Paint.NET you will find the plugin at Menu->Effects->Tools->Color Harmonies...
(oder für deutsche Anwender unter Menu->Effekte->Werkzeuge->Farbharmonien... 😉

Compatibility

Paint.NET 3.5.11 and 4.03

Supported languages

English, Deutsch

Keywords

Color harmonies, Color picker, Color palette, Color set, Farbharmonien, Farbwähler, Farbpalette, Farbmenge

Configuration options

http://www.comsquare.ch/files/downloads/ColorHarmonies/ColorHarmonies.Effect.Dialog.jpg       http://www.comsquare.ch/files/downloads/ColorHarmonies/ColorHarmonies.Effect.HSV-H.jpg

Choose the type of harmonic colors on top of the dialog. Depending on this type the color area below
will show some markers. The largest marker marks the base color. All other markers are derived
from the base color marker.

Below the color area there are the colors and hexadecimal rgb values of all the colors in the set. The leftmost color is the base color. This is the single entry you may edit. If 'Single Color' is choosen then a color picker symbol is right to the color box.

Next are the boxes of the three possible color models (RGB, HSV, and HSL). Each box shows the values of the three channels building the color model. Selecting one of the channels by clicking the radi button changes the color area and the slider right to the color area. The slider allows to change the value of the selected channel.

Right click to the color area shows a context menu.
- Square or Wheel (or Square): Select which variant you like to use for the color area.
- Full adaptive: If checked then the color area will be adjusted depending on the slider value.
- Dark theme: Sets a dark dialog background

On OK the base color will be copied to the clipboard and the set of colors will be stored
as a palette file in your palette folder. The 'Colors' window of Paint.NET allows you to load the palette file.

http://www.comsquare.ch/files/downloads/ColorHarmonies/ColorHarmonies.Effect.PDN Colors window.jpg       http://www.comsquare.ch/files/downloads/ColorHarmonies/ColorHarmonies.Effect.PDN Colors RGB input.jpg

Remark: The selected base color will not be your primary color automatically. If you like to use it then you have to paste the value in the box below of the RGB values in the expanded 'Colors' window.

If you are used to the Windows build-in color selector then you may select the L channel of the HSL model. Then select 'Square' in the context menu of the color area. You will get the following view:

http://www.comsquare.ch/files/downloads/ColorHarmonies/ColorHarmonies.Effect.HSL-L.jpg

Color models

http://www.comsquare.ch/files/downloads/ColorHarmonies/RgbCube-FrontSide.jpg

http://www.comsquare.ch/files/downloads/ColorHarmonies/RgbCube-BackSide.jpg

http://www.comsquare.ch/files/downloads/ColorHarmonies/RgbCubeAsHexagon.jpg

Issues depending on the Paint.NET plugin API

- It is not possible to request the localized name of the palette folder via the API.
  Because of this the subfolder name is stored in the .dlc file of the effect.
  If you are using a different language setting than English or Deutsch then
  the complete .dlc file must be translated to your language and environment

History

0.7 (25.7.2014) see download link above
- rotated the color wheels so that the warm colors (red..yellow) are on top and the cold colors (cyan..blue) are on bottom
- if the palette subfolder does not exist then the palette will be stored in the localized Paint.NET user folder
- if 'Single color' is selected on OK then no palette file will be created.
- Added 'Screen Color Picker' to 'Single Color' mode. Clicking the button activates the color picker.
  The picking interval is 200ms. Mouse click or any keypress stops picking the color (Escape restores the previous color).
  Remark: Outside of the application the cursor does not show the picker symbol but is still working. No idea in the moment how to fix this.

0.6 (20.07.2014)
- First public release

• Upvote 5

midoras signature.gif

You may want to put the output file on the user's desktop. This is always available and writable.

string OutputPath = Path.Combine(Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.DesktopDirectory),FileName);
Then, let the user install the palette file themselves.

You may want to put the output file on the user's desktop. This is always available and writable.

May be a good idea for a last catch instead of a message box. In the moment I prefer the user files root. Then it is easy to go one folder up and down.

midoras signature.gif

But don't we already have this Plugin by @Midora here ?  I guess more than one is usual - the more the merrier I suppose :lol:

I think they are both the same developer Pixey, one for beta and one for finalised plugins (May be wrong) 

BREtKQW.png

But don't we already have this Plugin by @Midora here ?  I guess more than one is usual - the more the merrier I suppose :lol:

This guy is lazy always. So I took the code and did an official version. Adding the clipboard and palette stuff....

• Upvote 1

midoras signature.gif

I think they are both the same developer Pixey, one for beta and one for finalised plugins (May be wrong) 

Ahhhh - :GlowEffect: thanks @Drew

This guy is lazy always. So I took the code and did an official version. Adding the clipboard and palette stuff....

I certainly hope it is you ..... as that guy will be mad being called lazy :lol:

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Update 0.7 (25.7.2014)
- rotated the color wheels so that the warm colors (red..yellow) are on top and the cold colors (cyan..blue) are on bottom
- if the palette subfolder does not exist then the palette will be stored in the localized Paint.NET user folder
- if 'Single color' is selected on OK then no palette file will be created.
- Added 'Screen Color Picker' to 'Single Color' mode. Clicking the button activates the color picker.
  The picking interval is 200ms. Mouse click or any keypress stops picking the color (Escape restores the previous color).
  Remark: Outside of the application the cursor does not show the picker symbol but is still working. No idea in the moment how to fix this.

Edited by midora

midoras signature.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Martin - I'm having trouble trying to find the color palette that you say should go into the Paint Folder:

- Copy the two files OptionBasedLibrary vX.X.dll/.dlc to the Paint.NET\ folder (NOT to Paint.NET\Effects\ !!!)

Color Harmonies shows up OK in Tools, but there is no sign of a palette - that is, if the above is indeed a palette?  If it is, shouldn't it go in the User Files in the Palette Folder?  All the others in there have a .txt format.

Hope this question makes sense :/

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Hi Martin - I'm having trouble trying to find the color palette that you say should go into the Paint Folder:

Color Harmonies shows up OK in Tools, but there is no sign of a palette - that is, if the above is indeed a palette?  If it is, shouldn't it go in the User Files in the Palette Folder?  All the others in there have a .txt format.

Hope this question makes sense :/

Pixey. You will find the palette in your Documents / Paint.Net User Files / Palettes folder. 

BREtKQW.png

Hi Color Harmonies shows up OK in Tools, but there is no sign of a palette - that is, if the above is indeed a palette?  If it is, shouldn't it go in the User Files in the Palette Folder?  All the others in there have a .txt format.

Hi Pixey, if everything works as expected then the palette should be there after you closed the Color Harmonies dialog with OK. You can verify this by opening the popup of the 'Colors' window. There should be now an entry 'ColorHarmonies' which contains the palette.

ColorHarmonies_SelectPalette.jpg

The popup of the 'Colors' window is also the preferred location to 'Open Palettes Folder'. This may be necessary to create a copy of the palette because Color Harmonies overwrites the old entry. I'm thinking about to change this but this would result in a more complex UI. I'm not sure what's the best solution.

midoras signature.gif

Maybe one additional tip.

Most of the plugins which are using the OptionBasedLibrary allow to save and load their dialog settings in xml files.

See Bottom of dialog->Menu->Manage Options->Load.../Save...

Or just use Ctrl-S and Citrl-O in the dialog.

This way you can create your own sets of dialog settings.

You may even change the defaults of the dialog. So you can close Paint.NET and keep your user defaults.

midoras signature.gif

Thanks so much for the help.  I had not 'opened up' the actual Harmonies and clicked on OK ............. after doing that the palette was in the color windows.  I thought you could just open the color window without opening the Tools - Harmonies - OK.

Thanks a bunch :)

30b8T8B.gif

• 1 year later...

Very interesting. I can pick color from anything on my screen and I know what colors are in Pixey's avatar now. :lol:

Was checking a folder of old images and tried to analyze my color choices. Don't know that changing any colors  would help them, definitely will be using this in future works though. Thanks for this.

SloppySig.png

• 1 year later...

I guess this is no longer available since the download link is broken. Does anyone know of a similar plugin? I hunted through the entire index of plugins and found nothing. Seems like a great idea. Wish I knew how to write plugins, I'd make one.

I'll see if I have the DLL archived. If so, I'll add it to the first post.

• Upvote 1

I just tried the link in the first post - and it is working.

@Maximilian thanks for making the DLL available - but I think that we should leave Martin's link in place while it is working.

• Upvote 1

I agree with keeping the original link. The server was also down for me yesterday, but seems to be working normally today :)

Added zipped DLL to first post.

That's expected with @Martin Osieka's OptionBased library, because it needs to be put in the PDN installation folder. I understand this is virtualized in the Store version.

You could try placing the OptionDased files in \Documents\paint.net App Files but I'm doubtful this will work. Still, it would be useful to know ;)